U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 05:20 PM

401 posts, read 604,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I want bikers to be in their lanes and I want cars to be in their lanes (and stay there, unless passing is SAFE).
Then, you should be in favor of this law, because all it does is define for people what "passing is SAFE" means. It removes the ambiguity. It removes the personal opinion.

Does it guarantee safety? Of course not. However, defining what is a safe distance will not make it less safe. It will not cause people who previously passed at a safe distance to stop doing that. Conversely, it WILL make some people who previously passed at unsafe distances to become aware and pass at a safe distance.

Therefore, this law will only make things safer for bikers.

Quote:
^ Now here is where intelligent money might be spent to keep cyclists safe.
I agree that we should spend money to improve cycling infrastructure and connect the pieces.

Personally, I like having a bike lane, so I would like more roads to have them installed. One road in Pasadena I ride on frequently is Cordova. Riding east to west, there's a bike lane, but it abruptly stops at Lake avenue. The next road with a bike lane is a n/s route (Marengo) is a few miles up. So, to get from one bike lane to another, you have to be in auto traffic for a bit. Given the three foot rule, this means that I have to take up the right-most lane. Even though traffic is never bumper to bumper on this road, and changing lanes really means little to no slow-down, drivers still get pissed off that they have to do it.

In the next year or two, this section of Cordova will receive a road diet... they'll remove one lane in each direction and restripe to include a center turn lane and bike lanes. This will connect a few pieces of our bike network.. and this will be awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 07:04 PM

596 posts, read 784,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Karl View Post
ughh, cyclists are some of the most annoying people in existance.

this is the end result of relentless whinging about the big bad meanie automobiles. tons of underutilized bike lanes at the taxpayers' expense. typical, self-centered leftist behaviour.

at least when a plutocrat pulls a similar stunt, he's justified (massive contributions to the public's coffers, titan of industry, job creator, etc.).

these losers on two wheels? they create virtually nothing of value, they're just a pathetic bunch, most have a victim complex as well.

hopefully the pendulum will swing the other way and these stupid bike lanes will be nothing more than a distant memory.

Calm down.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:25 PM

3,439 posts, read 2,141,638 times
I'm the original poster.
I sure didn't expect 5 pages in one day.
I posted and then saw that I had one s to many is the word as in the title.
I tried to edit and couldn't remove the extra s. I tried to remove the whole title and start again and couldn't. I tried to delete the who;e post and couldn't.
In the confusion the last 4 words in the title were there and I had to go someplace so I gave up on it.
If a moderator sees this please remove the last 4 words in the title.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:44 PM

10,087 posts, read 12,570,480 times
Quote:
Munchtip, you seriously need to make "Serve Away, L.A." your motto.
You are really prone to exaggeration, aren't you? I just carefully move into the other lane, because you know, I am good driver and am cautious. I certainly never jerk into the other lane without warning.

Quote:
How many people do I know with 45 mile commutes? Probably 50% of my neighborhood. Including my husband. (60 miles may have been an exaggeration. Let's put it this way: about 70 minutes without traffic, when there ever is such a thing, and about two hours with normal traffic.) ETA: Did you edit that question out? I don't see it now.
I didn't realize you lived in a bedroom community like Glendora. This also undoubtedly colors your lenses, as there are probably very few cyclists in your area. In Pasadena (my town) and Los Angeles the percentage of bicycle commuters is most likely much higher than Glendora.

Not only that, but the types of people that are bicycle commuting probably differs between a more urban environment and a suburb. Here in Pasadena it is mostly working-class / service-industry people and college students (though True Freedom doesn't fit this mold, at least as far as I can tell). People that cannot afford vehicles. I think too many people have this idea of all bike commuters being some spandex-clad liberal douche who is just trying to make a point. That type is far from the majority, at least in the neighborhoods I've lived in.

Overall I agree that more bike lanes should be put in so cyclists have a place to be. If there are bike lanes, I certainly think there is no need for vehicles to change their position in their lane. I guess that is something I failed to mention earlier.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:03 AM

25,383 posts, read 24,162,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post

I think too many people have this idea of all bike commuters being some spandex-clad liberal douche who is just trying to make a point.
Um, yup. That would pretty much be my neighborhood biker.

With, like ten grand in equipment wheeling under his butt and bedecking his every available bodily space as he gazes loftily and disapprovingly at pretty much any car on the road that dares to, you know, drive. In its own lane. While obeying traffic signals. (Yes, you're right, I am prone to exaggeration. And to facetiousness... ; )

Just. So. Much. Spandex.

My eyes, my poor eyes.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:05 AM

16,480 posts, read 20,016,951 times
Curious, where do mopeds/scooters factor into this? They're not allowed to use the bike lanes?

And, curiously, why don't you see more of them in the L.A. area?

Old 09-17-2014, 08:28 AM

672 posts, read 1,790,327 times
Quote:
Just. So. Much. Spandex.

My eyes, my poor eyes.
In the newspapers in England, they use the term MAMILs, or Middle-Aged Men in Lycra. But hey, all that stuff really does help you go faster, so be the lycra guy if speed is your goal.

The thing is that, in the city, you know that you're going to have to stop at all the stop lights and you're never really going to get up to full speed, so all that lycra is just as useless when biking the city as a sports car is on the freeway at rush hour.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:58 AM

401 posts, read 604,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
In the newspapers in England, they use the term MAMILs, or Middle-Aged Men in Lycra. But hey, all that stuff really does help you go faster, so be the lycra guy if speed is your goal.

The thing is that, in the city, you know that you're going to have to stop at all the stop lights and you're never really going to get up to full speed, so all that lycra is just as useless when biking the city as a sports car is on the freeway at rush hour.

There's all sorts of bikers:
  • the lower income immigrant type, who typically rides in their work clothes, quite slowly, on the sidewalk, no helmet
  • the younger fixie crew who ride because it's fashionable and they're broke. No helmet, tight pants and a tshirt
  • the younger bmx bike riding kid, who's even more broke than the fixie kids, else they'd buy a fixie
  • the hipster crew who ride the new, but retro styled, cruiser bikes.. no helmet, handlebar mustache, capris and a button down plaid shirt
  • the enviro conscious urban commuter who may have saddle bags or a backpack, a helmet, some specialty urban riding gear (like riding pants that look like pants but made for riding). They typically have some hybrid or mountain bike conversion bike with slicks and lights
  • the roadie who rides for fitness. These are the guys with the lycra, helmets, who are not riding to a destination, but rather riding a loop for fitness

Many of us fit in different categories at different times. I urban commute, some days I'm a roadie, some days I get out my bmx bike and go tool around.

For roadies, who wear lycra, it isn't worn for speed, really, rather it's worn by folks out for a fitness ride because it does not hold sweat, it's tight so it doesn't flap in the wind, and it's more comfortable when doing longer rides where there's alot of pedaling (no extra fabric to get all bunched up or to slide around on your legs when pedaling). Also, psychologically, it feels more efficient ... and for roadies, alot of riding is psychological.. ie pushing yourself to pedal harder.

The point is, we're not a monolithic group, rather a pretty diverse crowd coming from a variety of backgrounds with varying motivations for riding.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:32 AM

3,552 posts, read 5,380,218 times
ahem, aren't these the same people who still refuse to believe that lance armstrong was juicing?

Old 09-17-2014, 11:16 AM

4,032 posts, read 8,304,082 times
I'm happy about this law. LA drivers are reckless in situations where they ought not be. If this gives LE another reason to stop and ticket people, so be it.

LA drivers who are used to the suburban lifestyle that existed from the end of WWII to present in LA will be the ones that need to conform. Use more public transport and walking, rely less on their cars.

Funny that one of the biggest objectors in this thread is a Glendora resident. Honestly traffic on the 210 ought to already have kicked his/her butt into action. Instead he/she just bemoans fate and attempts to block progress for self interest.
My advice...get ready for the Gold line. It's coming your way. Embrace it, love it, use it. I'll predict in ten years time that there will be a light rail line along the 405, it will seamlessly hook up with the red line, purple line, and run down the westside to the green line. Gold line will loop from Ontario through Pasadena and downtown and off to Pico River or even Whittier.

That's the future of LA and that's if you like it or not. Get used to 2-3 hour commutes, or rubbing elbows with the unwashed masses. Me personally? I'm happy spending a little time socializing with new people rather than suffer in isolation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles