U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 11:24 AM

7,091 posts, read 18,421,358 times

Advertisements

i'm still not understanding why people are getting their panties all in a bunch over cyclists breaking laws. in total numbers, car drivers certainly break the law much more. i would even guess that as a percentage of the whole, car drivers are at least as prone to break a law, if not more so when compared to cyclists. why is it that we're so much more willing to forgive a stupid driver who yields poorly or runs a red light as opposed to a cyclist? my guess is that we see cars breaking the law much more often to the point we've become desensitized to it. regarding cyclists, we don't see them all that often so that one time a guy ran a red light, it apparently sticks with us long enough to go on an internet forum and complain about the whole lot of them. it also seems that many people are afraid to cycle in mixed traffic, which makes them feel that all cyclists are idiots with a death wish. because of this, idiot cyclists deserve no respect accompanied with endless spewing of vitriol in their direction on the internet.

i mentioned it earlier, but i cycle fairly often. sometimes i use separate bike paths (i.e. along orange line), other times i ride in traffic. i rarely encounter issues with cars and have never been hit (knock on wood). most people seem to understand and respect their fellow road users. i've never had anything thrown at me and getting barked at by dogs in cars is a MUCH more frequent occurrence than getting yelled at or honked at by a driver. i do run stop signs on occasion, but i know there's risk that comes with that, both physical and financial. in fact, i've deservedly received a traffic citation for running a stop sign on a bike. rarely i'll run a red light as well, but this is usually in the early hours on weekends when hardly any cars on the road. i'm of the opinion that there is room for everyone on the roads, but that there are idiots in every camp who for whatever reason can't live with others. cyclists aren't going away (quite the opposite actually), it's best to just get over it and respect cyclists as if they were car drivers. if three feet is a big deal for you, i challenge you to let another car drive within three feet of your driver side door in moving traffic and report back how uncomfortable that makes you feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 01:16 PM

25,357 posts, read 24,151,643 times
Well darlings! I had the pleasure of driving behind a truck that would have done some of us proud today.

This fantastic swerver (I believe he must have taken an online course) got firmly into the right lane after cutting me off making his right directly into oncoming traffic (including myself, going straight eastbound). I slowed enough to avoid an impending auto insurance upcharge (IN THE MIDDLE of the intersection, mind you - safety first!) and managed not to have the person directly behind me slam into my rear, took a breath and just kept my hands firmly on the wheel as this NASCAR dropout continued on his fascinating course.

His next feat? To get firmly again into a lane, this time the right-turn only (complete with gigantic arrows that Ray Charles would have had no trouble making out), screeching to a halt at the light there where the turn was because, you know, going in a direct, straight, clear route, he couldn't possibly have seen ahead of time that the light was red. Or...that there was a traffic light. At all. Of course, he fought to get there, cutting off another car with a "vroom" acel and then immediate lead-foot brake.

All seemed well and I breathed a sigh of relief that this man was no longer (apparently) going in my direction, when the light turned green and Bobby Allison decided he liked my lane MUCH better. Luckily, he must be an active C-D reader and heeded the advice to "grow a set" in time to cut me off AGAIN, this time narrowly missing clipping off a corner of my car's nose; you'd have been proud of the guy. I'm sure he was a little disappointed at not obliterating my tiny Cobalt with his gigantic truck, but, well, buddy, there's always next time, just grow a bigger set in preparation, there's always a next time to maim someone. Practice, grashopper, it just takes practice...

Then, almost certainly fondling his new brass ones with pride, Herr Pair acceled again thoughtfully past the high school (as lunch kids were getting out and crossing the street...or trying to) at, I estimate, 50mph. I'm not sure, because my own pair is still tiny (being a woman and all...well, and not particularly wanting to die) and I was foolish enough to be going the speed limit. He left me and a lot of scared kids in the dust. Go Bobby go!!! The families wouldn't have minded, college is expensive as all git, most likely the parents would have told you that you did them a favor.

Okay, 'fess up, munchitup. That was you. Silver Ford, right?

Anyway...this guy is going to be ACES with the whole plan to swerve and avoid gunning down one person in order to damage a few others. Seriously. You'd have been proud. He even drove IN the opposite-traffic lane for a few seconds there. The person going westbound and directly facing his behemoth vehicle who honked in panic at him did slow. With a screech of pained brakes that would make any Hollywood sound man proud. It's all good - if the guy were to have a heart attack immediately following this jolly romp (I almost did), there is a hospital just up the street, and with luck he made it. (Calm your panties, folks, this is humor...)

No cyclists were harmed during this venture. Pedestrian minors and other cars? Well, potentially, but what the hell. He was WAY out from the bike lane, BTW. Thank you, God.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. Don't be embarrassed about wiping away a few tears of pride, fellas. Men too cry.

Last edited by JerZ; 09-17-2014 at 01:41 PM..

Old 09-17-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
i'm still not understanding why people are getting their panties all in a bunch over cyclists breaking laws.
We're not, so much. It's more the factor of added danger to an already dangerous situation.

As for all the rest...well, I'm a smart*ss.

And psst...It doesn't have to necessarily be a "lesser of two evils" thing, or a contest as to who breaks more laws. Some of us insane dreamers would like to find a solution that would actually work. For everybody.

Last edited by JerZ; 09-17-2014 at 01:30 PM..

Old 09-17-2014, 01:26 PM

15,385 posts, read 8,684,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Freedom View Post
If it was a bus that stopped to pick up passengers, you'd figure a way around.
If it were a garbage truck, you'd figure a way around.
If it were a slow moving delivery vehicle, you'd figure a way around.

But somehow, if it's a biker, it seems impossible to get around? What's the alternative? Dangerously squeeze by them? Ban bikes from the road?

Yes, it may be frustrating .. but I think if you're honest with yourself, you'll realize that you are slowed down by a great many things in addition to bikers. That coupled with the fact that the world does not revolve around you.. you might just have to slow down or be momentarily inconvenienced so that you don't put your fellow human's lives at risk.

I would not treat people like idiots... if they weren't idiots.
It's the logistics of the whole thing. If there is a garbage truck, etc in the way, I can see it from a distance. So it's no big surprise when the car in front of me swerves or slows down. But when that object can't be seen easily, you have sudden stopping and swerving out of nowhere.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:27 PM

15,385 posts, read 8,684,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
That's awesome, and healthy.

You're not one of those bikers who jets out into traffic, lights not withstanding, comes wide around blind curves and careens past car bumpers as they're pulling out and then shoving directly in front of their line of vision, prompting a heart attack on their part and a reflexive and dangerous quick slamming of brakes with other cars right behind them, are you?

Because if not, I've never met you.

I have nothing against biking. It's wonderful and healthy. And sure I'm willing to share the road. SAFELY.

But if you all think the problem is solely with the drivers, you've obviously never driven anywhere in the vicinity of a biker.

I mean ever.

And don't get me started on motorcycles and mopeds zipping between cars in zig-zag fashion and then coming to a screeching halt directly in front of the car they just cut off as the light is turning red. I mean WTH????

How about instead of giving bikers even more space where there is none, bikers and drivers alike just act intelligently, watch what they're doing, obey traffic signals (what makes bikers think they don't have to do that? Not all bikers, just in case anyone wants to throw a temper tantrum at that statement), and each give the other an appropriate amount of space for the space s/he is taking up?

Or would that be too easy and too inexpensive?
And my personal favorite: riding multiple abreast, slower than traffic, and not moving out of the way.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:33 PM

10,087 posts, read 12,567,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Well darlings! I had the pleasure of driving behind a truck that would have done some of us proud today.

This fantastic swerver (I believe he must have taken an online course) got firmly into the right lane after cutting me off making his right directly into oncoming traffic (including myself, going straight eastbound). I slowed enough to avoid an impending auto insurance upcharge (IN THE MIDDLE of the intersection, mind you - safety first!) and managed not to have the person directly behind me slam into my rear, took a breath and just kept my hands firmly on the wheel as this NASCAR dropout continued on his fascinating course.

His next feat? To get firmly again into a lane, this time the right-turn only (complete with gigantic arrows that Ray Charles would have had no trouble making out), screeching to a halt at the light there where the turn was because, you know, going in a direct, straight, clear route, he couldn't possibly have seen ahead of time that the light was red. Or...that there was a traffic light. At all. Of course, he fought to get there, cutting off another car with a "vroom" acel and then immediate lead-foot brake.

All seemed well and I breathed a sigh of relief that this man was no longer (apparently) going in my direction, when the light turned green and Bobby Allison decided he liked my lane MUCH better. Luckily, he must be an active C-D reader and heeded the advice to "grow a set" in time to cut me off AGAIN, this time narrowly missing clipping off a corner of my car's nose; you'd have been proud of the guy. I'm sure he was a little disappointed at not obliterating my tiny Cobalt with his gigantic truck, but, well, buddy, there's always next time, just grow a bigger set in preparation, there's always a next time to maim someone. Practice, grashopper, it just takes practice...

Then, almost certainly fondling his new brass ones with pride, Herr Pair acceled again thoughtfully past the high school (as lunch kids were getting out and crossing the street...or trying to) at, I estimate, 50mph. I'm not sure, because my own pair is still tiny (being a woman and all...well, and not particularly wanting to die) and I was foolish enough to be going the speed limit. He left me and a lot of scared kids in the dust. Go Bobby go!!!

Okay, 'fess up, munchitup. That was you. Silver Ford, right?

Anyway...this guy is going to be ACES with the whole plan to swerve and avoid gunning down one person in order to damage a few others. Seriously. You'd have been proud. He even drove IN the opposite-traffic lane for a few seconds there. Without slowing. LOL. The person going facebound and directly facing his behemoth vehicle who honked in panic at him did slow. With a screech of pained brakes that would make any Hollywood sound man proud. It's all good - if the guy were to have a heart attack immediately following this jolly romp (I almost did), there is a hospital just up the street, and with luck he made it. (Calm your panties, folks, this is humor...)

No cyclists were harmed during this venture. Pedestrian minors and other cars? Well, potentially, but what the hell. He was WAY out from the bike lane, BTW. Thank you, God.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. Don't be embarrassed about wiping away a few tears of pride, fellas. Men too cry.

You crazy.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:38 PM

10,087 posts, read 12,567,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
It's the logistics of the whole thing. If there is a garbage truck, etc in the way, I can see it from a distance. So it's no big surprise when the car in front of me swerves or slows down. But when that object can't be seen easily, you have sudden stopping and swerving out of nowhere.
If you can't see a cyclist coming with enough time to react, then you probably shouldn't be driving. Unless it is dark out and they are wearing dark clothing and not properly illuminated. Then that is on them.

Is sharing the road really that hard for some of you? I rarely drive (like once or twice a week) and still have no issues with these sort of things.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
And my personal favorite: riding multiple abreast, slower than traffic, and not moving out of the way.
Yep, we get the multiples all the time too, LOL.

Apparently, bikers get lonely.

You know which cyclists DO obey the laws and stay way waaaaaaaay close to the sidewalk in the bike lanes? Believe it or not...our LDS guys. Seriously, they are polite everywhere, aren't they? God bless the LDS.

(They really are polite. They came prostyletizing to my yard one October when I was decorating for Halloween with the goriest stuff imaginable...and they offered me to hang the decorations up, LOL.)

Old 09-17-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post

You crazy.
We KNOW it was you, munch. <3

p.s. :

humor
[hyoo-mer or, often, yoo-]

noun
1. a comic, absurd, or incongruous quality causing amusement:
the humor of a situation.
2. the faculty of perceiving what is amusing or comical: He is completely without humor.
3. an instance of being or attempting to be comical or amusing; something humorous

I still love ya, munch.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
If you can't see a cyclist coming with enough time to react, then you probably shouldn't be driving.
Weirdly, some of us have vision that obeys the laws of physics and of light (i.e...it doesn't bend) and we actually can't see that cyclist coming from around a curve and taking it wiiiiiiiiiiiiiide. Also, a large percentage of us unfortunately were born with some sort of defect that we are entirely without psychic ability and can't predict that the cyclists going in our direction will suddenly all decide to go au parallel and take that next corner equally wide, directly in front of us.

Maybe we could get a special handicapped sticker or something? Is that allowed? Not all cyclists may be aware of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles