U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 10:36 AM

3,463 posts, read 2,155,554 times

Advertisements

Our idiot goverment has spent probably millions painting bicycle lanes all over the place that take away lanes for cars which is what everybody uses. Also provides a way for police to give you a ticket if you don't cross the bicycle lane in just the right spot and the obvious real intent is more money for the city.
Politicians here want people to ride bicycles for less traffic while ignoring the obvious that nearly no one rides bicycles especially to work or errands. So we now have all these lanes all over the place and probably a fraction of 1% of drivers use them. Plus cars pay for the roads with our highest in the nation gas tax, they should make bicycles pay for the roads too.

Last edited by V8 Vega; 09-16-2014 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: misspelled word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 10:46 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,986,124 times
Good.

I ride my bike to work.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:49 AM

24,286 posts, read 13,761,048 times
I heard about this recently, about the new law.

I had a situation about a year ago on my street where a big RV was parked in front of my house for days and days and it was right in the bicycle lane . I told the city about it and they said it wasn't illegal to block a bicycle lane..so it's kind of funny they came up with a new law.

Their response was , "they'll see it's blocked and go around it"..to which I responded , "you mean swerve right into the street and get hit by a car" ?

Does anyone know if the new law changes this? Or is it just that you have to leave 3 feet between your car and bicycle when driving?

Old 09-16-2014, 11:07 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,762,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Our idiot goverment has spent probably millions painting bicycle lanes all over the place that take away lanes for cars which is what everybody uses. Also provides a way for police to give you a ticket if you don't cross the bicycle lane in just the right spot and the obvious real intent is more money for the city.
Politicians here want people to ride bicycles for less traffic while ignoring the obvious that nearly no one rides bicycles especially to work or errands. So we now have all these lanes all over the place and probably a fraction of 1% of drivers use them. Plus cars pay for the roads with our highest in the nation gas tax, they should make bicycles pay for the roads too.
I thought you were going to say something interesting, but it is just a rant.

Anyways, you can argue all you want about whether we need bicycle lanes or not, meanwhile we need laws like these that protect bicyclist, as there are too many a$$hole drivers who think they are the center of the world and have no qualms with hitting a bicyclist and then driving away without checking if that bicyclist even survived the 'accident'. I'm tired of seeing ghost bikes, and reading the stories of bicyclists that got sent to their grave because some dbag didn't want to give them enough space, was in a hurry to get nowhere, or was texting/drunk and driving. Yes, sometimes it is the bicyclist fault, but as drivers we should be aware that their bicycles are no match for our vehicles in a collision.

I don't ride a bike around town anywhere, but I have enough respect for life to give them room.

Last edited by RudyOD; 09-16-2014 at 12:07 PM..

Old 09-16-2014, 11:35 AM

401 posts, read 606,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Plus cars pay for the roads with our highest in the nation gas tax, they should make bicycles pay for the roads too.
First off, bikes can't pay for roads, because they are... well, bikes. I've tried to get my bike to pay for a cup of coffee, but so far it has refused.

As far as the gas tax, this tax goes into the federal highway fund, and doesn't really even come near to covering the costs for highways. Most cyclists have cars, anyway, and pay gas tax there. Electric car owners don't pay gas tax.

Local streets are paid for by local municipalities. They get their money from property taxes and sales taxes. I own a home and buy stuff, so I'm paying plenty for local roads... which is good, because I both ride my bike and drive my car on them.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:41 AM

401 posts, read 606,141 times
While this law certainly isn't perfect, I do think it is needed.

Before now, the law said that cars must pass bikes at a safe distance, but failed to define what constitutes a safe distance. To some drivers, as long as they don't actually hit you, they seem to feel that pass was safe.

Also, the existing laws state that a bike may take the lane (ie ride smack dab in the center) if the lane was not wide enough to accommodate both a car and a bike simultaneously. Again, this leaves some ambiguity. Now, with the three foot law, we can now determine when a lane is not wide enough. You've got the width of the car, three feet to the bike, the bike, and room on the right to avoid obstacle (like at least three feet from parked cars to avoid being "doored"). Most lanes on local streets here in Pasadena would fall into the "too narrow" category; hence, bikes may take up a lane on most streets here in the city (minus the ones with an existing bike lane, of course).

Old 09-16-2014, 12:05 PM

10,087 posts, read 12,591,933 times
I always give bicyclists lots of space, I usually even go halfway into the other lane if possible. I would much rather crowd the car next to me then risk hitting and seriously injuring a cyclist.

The OP does not understand a lot of things, and his/her post sounds like a typical me-first rant. Sadly around the country so many people think this attitude personifies Angelenos, when in fact I find it far from the truth.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:15 PM

1,020 posts, read 743,536 times
3 ft is a pretty standard law in most other states I've lived in. LA has a great climate (except the last few days). There would be many more cyclists if the infrastructure was better. I live less than 2 miles from work, but I usually drive or walk because there are no bike lanes between my house and work and I don't have a deathwish. Minneapolis and Portland have great bike infrastructure, and as a result have 4-7 x the rate of people commuting by bike than LA despite their weather.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:31 PM

7,092 posts, read 18,452,467 times
I drive my car every day, but also ride my bike a few times a week. i think this law is a good thing, though i don't think driver behavior will change very quickly. as for this law affecting how much I cycle, that is unlikely. i live 4 miles from my office, but i don't ride to work because there are no showers for me to use when i get to work. 4 miles is just enough to build up a good sweat, especially considering i live and work in the valley.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:54 PM

25,429 posts, read 24,216,311 times
Um, if you swerve out three feet from a bicyclist who is already, say a foot or two from the curb, aren't you pretty much swerving into the other lane?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles