U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2014, 12:04 PM

3,196 posts, read 2,351,138 times

Advertisements

Early this morning I noticed a large pickup truck parked sideways right in my driveway, blocking my exit. I went outside to find the driver to tell him to move his vehicle and couldn't find anyone. I went knocking on my neighbor's doors to try to find out what was going on. Of the neighbors I was able to talk to, no one knew why that truck was there or who it belonged to. I called the police and they told me that they don't deal with "that stuff." I asked who I should call and the dismissive woman told me to call the Department of Transportation. The Department of Transportation didn't even pick up the phone so I'm at a loss. I missed an appointment because my car is blocked in and that truck is still there, 5 hours later.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 12:06 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,790,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Early this morning I noticed a large pickup truck parked sideways right in my driveway, blocking my exit. I went outside to find the driver to tell him to move his vehicle and couldn't find anyone. I went knocking on my neighbor's doors to try to find out what was going on. Of the neighbors I was able to talk to, no one knew why that truck was there or who it belonged to. I called the police and they told me that they don't deal with "that stuff." I asked who I should call and the dismissive woman told me to call the Department of Transportation. The Department of Transportation didn't even pick up the phone so I'm at a loss. I missed an appointment because my car is blocked in and that truck is still there, 5 hours later.
Call a tow truck

Old 09-16-2014, 12:09 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,596,921 times
Keeping in mind that I have not lived in LA since 1988, I always called the police and they would have the car towed. People were always blocking our driveway and it really pissed me off.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:12 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,427,237 times
call parking enforcement... they'll ticket & tow. But it might take them a couple hours to respond.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:34 PM

4,088 posts, read 3,545,353 times
Quote:
If a vehicle parked in the STREET is blocking your driveway, police have the authority to move it out of the way (22651c CVC). But if it's on private property, like an apt complex, you may have to notify the manager. Unless it's a fire lane, the vehicle code won't apply.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:41 PM

I called a few towing services and explained the situation but none of them were willing to tow the truck away. I went ahead and called the police again and this time they were actually helpful. I gave them the plate number and such and took a bunch of pictures so even if the driver gets his truck out of my driveway before it gets towed they can still ticket him(fingers crossed).
This is seriously infuriating.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:11 PM

913 posts, read 980,215 times
I'm surprise parking enforcement doesnt have there own emergency ticket/tow line

Old 09-16-2014, 02:47 PM

1,041 posts, read 2,294,694 times
Be sure to pour molasses onto the car, or something equally hard to remove.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:25 PM

The truck got towed and I went out with some friends shortly thereafter. I had to come home to change clothes before going back out and when I opened my garage door and starting driving in a man came around the side(from the area by my front door) and waved me down. I got out and he started asking me about his truck. I told him it got towed because it was parked illegally. He didn't seem to understand that he wasn't allowed to park in my driveway and keep me from leaving my house. His excuse was that his truck was too big to park on the street and that he was "just going on a hike." He doesn't live in the neighborhood, had no reason to think I didn't need to use my car, and was entirely unapologetic. I told him to call the police to find out how to get his truck back and he actually told me that I had to give him a ride home. I honestly can't believe this guy.
I'm not home right now but I'm a little worried that he might vandalize my house. He was standing right by my driveway(talking on his phone) when I left again...

Old 09-16-2014, 07:47 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,422,445 times
Quote:
I called a few towing services and explained the situation but none of them were willing to tow the truck away. I went ahead and called the police again and this time they were actually helpful. I gave them the plate number and such and took a bunch of pictures so even if the driver gets his truck out of my driveway before it gets towed they can still ticket him(fingers crossed).
This is seriously infuriating.
Should have told the police that you can see a dozen krispy kremes on the front seat and it would be a shame for all the icing to melt off in this heat wave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or