Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 01:40 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I am sorry. What didn't you like about it?
Rude people.
Crowded everything.
Traffic.
And actually... the weather.
Rude service people (that really blew my mind).

But mostly the general lack of manners/decorum.

I moved there from overseas. Very international environment. We lived in an affluent area. Racism...my first real exposure to it.

Funny... you hear a lot of crap...but I faced more racism in 4 years in So. Cal than 25 years in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 02:19 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,635,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
I have to wonder about the sorts of people who go to forums of City-Data for cities they do not live in just to bad mouth those cities. I've seen at least a dozen people who live elsewhere post in various threads complaining about LA. Why? I don't like NYC and ya know what? I don't go to that forum. I have no interest in telling strangers why I dislike their city and I can't imagine anyone there cares what I think about their city.
City-Data Forum should be renamed California-Bashing Forum. There are threads all over the place with posts from people who love to hate everything about California and Californians. Some have never set foot in the State, and others have spent maybe a week here. I'm always seeing comments like "Colorado was soooo nice until the Californians moved in," or "Drivers from California are really rude," and of course "I visited L.A. and people there are soooo mean/stupid/racist/arrogant/clueless/etc." I guess it makes them feel better about themselves to paint millions of people with the same brush.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:47 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Rude people.
Crowded everything.
Traffic.

I moved there from overseas. Very international environment. We lived in an affluent area. Racism...my first real exposure to it.

Funny... you hear a lot of crap...but I faced more racism in 4 years in So. Cal than 25 years in Texas.
So how long ago did you live in LA? 25 years ago would be the 80's.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:47 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton Santigo View Post
Hi hot karl!

Old 09-18-2014, 06:48 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Hi hot karl!
The fapper comes in many forms

Old 09-18-2014, 08:33 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,549,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
I have to wonder about the sorts of people who go to forums of City-Data for cities they do not live in just to bad mouth those cities. I've seen at least a dozen people who live elsewhere post in various threads complaining about LA. Why? I don't like NYC and ya know what? I don't go to that forum. I have no interest in telling strangers why I dislike their city and I can't imagine anyone there cares what I think about their city.
It could be that these threads pop up in the 'active threads from around the forum' section in the sidebar. I know I've visited some random threads off off that list.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:36 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
The question I always have about polls is, who's more likely to answer them? The person who IS generally happy and thinks "Okay, I'll answer this later if I have time" and then goes off to live his/her life and most likely forgets all about it (or else gets a phone call requesting the poll, but declines because s/he hates spammy phone calls), or the person with a serious chip on his/her who takes every available opportunity to tell everyone how unhappy s/he is, therefore seizing the opportunity to take part in the "are you totally miserable" poll? ("My friends are all sick of hearing it...but finally, here's someone who actually WANTS me to go on and on about it!")

Kind of like how you'll go on the ebay forums and you'll see nothing but sellers who got ripped off in the absolute most horrible and evil-ly creative of ways, or buyers who got horribly gypped. Who's more likely to seek out a forum based on these issues - someone who is totally freaked out and needs to share that with the world? Or someone who had yet another smooth transaction? How many people make smooth ebay purchases and then say "I'd better run to find the forums and start posting about each smooth transaction"?

And how many people come on the C-D Relationships board to post each time a happy, calm thing happens in his/her relationship? At a glance, if it were representative, you'd assume pretty much an 80% or so misery rate on relationships and also think the weirdest relationship happenings possible were the norm across the population.

(And even given that factor of human nature, 70% of people willing to respond did so positively, as regards the CA poll. Unless people were tied to a chair and forced to answer, hence giving a more realistically representative sample, LOL.)

People tend to be MUCH more vocal when they feel they have a complaint that they wish the rest of the world would listen to.

I'm wondering about the methodology of those polls...going to see if I can dig deeper, unless someone else knows already.

Last edited by JerZ; 09-18-2014 at 08:46 AM..

Old 09-18-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
It could be that these threads pop up in the 'active threads from around the forum' section in the sidebar. I know I've visited some random threads off off that list.
Yeah, actually, I agree with this. When I randomly see threads that grab my eye, I might answer them even though I wouldn't normally have any interest in going on that particular board.

However, it does seem that there are certain people who specifically go on a board to refute what it says. In fact, I was just reading in Unexplained Phenomenon (is that what it's called? Unexplained...something...You'd think I'd read more carefully, I mean I've been posting on there), there is an individual who specifically told other posters that he comes on that board as he feels it's "his duty to inform."

You'll also see it a lot on the Christianity board (no, I'm definitely not a Christian, LOL), where atheists will frequent it in order to try to talk people out of their beliefs. Generally the agenda is no secret and these posters will openly say they go there in order to try to dispel the "myths," etc.

So someone who loves to go on a regional board and refute all the positives may go on because s/he truly thinks s/he is informing. Or simply because s/he is that seriously bitter and wants to see to it that others' bubbles are popped, so as to not feel so alone in his/her complaints. When that latter happens, it's usually pretty obvious that's the problem. Someone came out to City X, or grew up in City X, and could never get the girl, didn't get that great job or what-have-you, thinks s/he was a special little snowflake who was never properly appreciated and has decided to blame his/her locale for the problem, etc. and now is extremely upset to see other people who did have fun and accomplish those things in that particular city. So s/he tries to bring the rest down.

With L.A., I think a lot of people come out here in order to become giant stars (in movies, music or whatever), or to experience 24/7 perfect weather with gorgeous girls rollerblading everywhere they look and just dying to date them, or get that super high-paying job they've been led to believe is the norm based on movies and TV or whatever, and that didn't happen, and now they're unbelievably bitter.

Or there's the faction I was a part of originally - the severely homesick, who CAN'T see the positives and is frustrated that others can. These are the people who are shocked that others do love what they themselves see as awful for the simple fact that those things are "not home" (complaining that winter has no snow, the leaves don't change, the homes aren't colonials and so on).

As for SoCal, I can tell you that in the northeast, all we ever heard was how crazy, shallow, etc. "Californians" were (um...CA is a big state, LOL...broad brush much?) and it was always with this SEVERE bitterness that I never questioned much. Now I wonder: WTH? Sour grapes? Jealousy? There are really not that many other possibilities when you talk about people slamming a place they've never actually even visited in their lives. So jealousy and the need to convince oneself that one's own locale is better even though it obviously isn't could be another big factor.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:55 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,247,441 times
Quote:
Lived there.
Miserable.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Rude people.
Crowded everything.
Traffic.

I am really sorry to hear this. I haven't experienced any of this at all. I'm glad you're happier where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles