U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 10:15 AM

13 posts, read 81,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post

As for SoCal, I can tell you that in the northeast, all we ever heard was how crazy, shallow, etc. "Californians" were (um...CA is a big state, LOL...broad brush much?) and it was always with this SEVERE bitterness that I never questioned much. Now I wonder: WTH? Sour grapes? Jealousy? There are really not that many other possibilities when you talk about people slamming a place they've never actually even visited in their lives. So jealousy and the need to convince oneself that one's own locale is better even though it obviously isn't could be another big factor.
you mean like how the average californian goes ape over anything to do with texas, florida, the south in general, etc?

angry they're living in some dumpy little apartment and spending all their money on rent/food and barely getting by? while their counterparts in texas own massive 4,000sqft homes, a couple luxury cars with a ton of disposable income?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 10:30 AM

965 posts, read 1,011,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton Santigo View Post
you mean like how the average californian goes ape over anything to do with texas, florida, the south in general, etc?

angry they're living in some dumpy little apartment and spending all their money on rent/food and barely getting by? while their counterparts in texas own massive 4,000sqft homes, a couple luxury cars with a ton of disposable income?
I seem to have missed the angry "Gosh I wish I lived in Texas or Florida so I could have a massive house in the middle of nowhere" posts from the average Californian. I'll keep looking, though.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:32 AM

25,315 posts, read 24,133,744 times
Quote:

Yes, I mean like that - in principle. In nine years of living here I have never had any person I've ever met here express a burning desire to move to Texas and definitely not to the south as a general wistful desire, LOL. Nor have I ever met anyone who brought up the subject of Texas specifically to bash it, a la sour grapes. "Going ape" would just sort of be totally going off the grid. Where are you getting that "the average Californian" feels this way?

People might say "My God, look at that gigantic home and for a fraction of what you can buy it for here" but typically with the the follow-up of "but it's in Texas." Then the subject is just dropped, without the typical rantings that follow when a person is jealous that other people live in a certain area and they don't.

But the subject just doesn't generally come up, so obviously there's not enough emotional investment - for either good or ill - for people to be generating some sort of foaming jealousy as you describe. I mean...nobody either wistfully talks about dreaming they could move to Texas, nor rants about how Texas must be terrible in a sour-grapes sort of fashion. (That I've experienced, anyway. This is only my experience.)

Anyone (unless they're crazy) would prefer "own(ing) massive 4,000sqft homes, a couple luxury cars with a ton of disposable income" to "living in some dumpy little apartment and spending all their money on rent/food and barely getting by", so if Texas were an overall desirable place to live, we'd all be flocking there. Many, many of us own homes and could easily sell here, then buy there with a very large cushion to take us over the initial assimilation and job-hunting process even if it were to take many months. So...nothing stopping us. So I'm not 100% sure I'm understanding you, but again, remember that I'm only speaking from my own personal experience.

Are you by any chance a Texan who is sour-graping on California and Californians?

It's a general tendency, not specific to any one area, so yes, if you're asking if your example, though erroneous in its specifics, matches the general tendency I spoke about, yes, it would.

Last edited by JerZ; 09-18-2014 at 11:06 AM..

Old 09-18-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
I seem to have missed the angry "Gosh I wish I lived in Texas or Florida so I could have a massive house in the middle of nowhere" posts from the average Californian. I'll keep looking, though.
I'm missing that too, LOL.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:38 AM

3,196 posts, read 2,351,138 times
Quote:

What? I only ever hear people in LA badmouth Texas for their politics and badmouth Florida for being, well, Florida. Let's be honest, Florida is a cesspool and getting worse. But all that aside, if I wanted a giant house in the middle of nowhere I would have done that instead of coming to LA. I don't want that at all. I'm preparing to sell my house because it's too big for me and not close enough to the action(these single-lane streets in the hills can make what should be a 3 minute drive into WeHo take 20 minutes or more).
Some people like what Texas and Florida have to offer, some people like what SoCal has to offer. It's not a competition, 1 is not objectively better than the other, and making up nonsense about every Californian being angry and jealous at Texas and Florida just makes you look like an imbecile.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:45 AM

5,807 posts, read 10,337,835 times
There is an occasion where I temporarily hate LA when traffic is so bad that it takes me one and a half times to get somewhere than what google maps said it would at that time of day, even factoring in traffic, and I have no idea why (I didn't see a car wreck), but I calm down later and it passes. (this happened today, I was late to the class I teach, luckily my students are patient).

Old 09-18-2014, 11:49 AM

13 posts, read 81,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
right, 'cause houston, dallas, san antonio, etc. are considered "the middle of nowhere". texas isn't the second most populous state in the union, poised to overtake california as #1.

the only reasons i've ever heard californians use to justify the deplorable standards of living and general dysfunction of the state are:

the weather
disneyland
the beach

really? that's it?

approximately 40% of the population in the united states lives directly on the shoreline. 80% of americans live within a one hour drive from the beach: Coastal Waters Management - river, sea, oceans, effects, temperature, important, largest, salt, plants, marine, human

how frequently does the average angelino go to disneyland? exactly. it's not like oc has a monopoly on that anyway: Walt Disney Parks and Resorts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the weather? you mean a perpetual dry climate that's terrible for your skin? the same climate that has the state in perpetual draught?

seems like a good deal to me. remind me again, what makes los angeles so great?

Old 09-18-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
right, 'cause houston, dallas, san antonio, etc. are considered "the middle of nowhere". texas isn't the second most populous state in the union, poised to overtake california as #1.

the only reasons i've ever heard californians use to justify the deplorable standards of living and general dysfunction of the state are:

the weather
disneyland
the beach

really? that's it?

approximately 40% of the population in the united states lives directly on the shoreline. 80% of americans live within a one hour drive from the beach: Coastal Waters Management - river, sea, oceans, effects, temperature, important, largest, salt, plants, marine, human

how frequently does the average angelino go to disneyland? exactly. it's not like oc has a monopoly on that anyway: Walt Disney Parks and Resorts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the weather? you mean a perpetual dry climate that's terrible for your skin? the same climate that has the state in perpetual draught?

seems like a good deal to me. remind me again, what makes los angeles so great?
WTF?

Can I ask where you live that the only things you hear about SoCal that are positive are the weather, Disneyland and the beach? Surely you can't live in SoCal if this is all you're hearing?

Sure, I'll give more examples. The diversity, the amazing culture, about a bajillion things to do and see in L.A., acceptance of uniqueness (in various areas...there will always be non-accepting people anywhere you go and of course some people, anywhere, just can't abide different interests, heritage or what-have-you), awesome music culture, awesome art culture, certain particular types of jobs that a person may be drawn to, family members also living there, certain colleges, food, the ability to choose a completely different "vibe" from locale to locale (I live in the 'burbs, but can drive 10 miles in any given direction and find a different vibe/style of the town), local to the mountains (depending upon where you are), amazing geographic diversity (the beach, mountains, desert, farms of any description all within driving distance). Do you want some more?

Again, I will ask this question, and although I know you're not looking for actual discourse but rather to push buttons and get attention: Where do you live and where have you lived in the past? Have you ever lived in SoCal and if so, for how long?

Old 09-18-2014, 12:04 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,165,432 times
Quote:
WTF?

Can I ask where you live that the only things you hear about SoCal that are positive are the weather, Disneyland and the beach? Surely you can't live in SoCal if this is all you're hearing?

Sure, I'll give more examples. The diversity, the amazing culture, about a bajillion things to do and see in L.A., acceptance of uniqueness (in various areas...there will always be non-accepting people anywhere you go and of course some people, anywhere, just can't abide different interests, heritage or what-have-you), awesome music culture, awesome art culture, certain particular types of jobs that a person may be drawn to, family members also living there, certain colleges, food, the ability to choose a completely different "vibe" from locale to locale (I live in the 'burbs, but can drive 10 miles in any given direction and find a different vibe/style of the town), local to the mountains (depending upon where you are), amazing geographic diversity (the beach, mountains, desert, farms of any description all within driving distance). Do you want some more?

Again, I will ask this question, and although I know you're not looking for actual discourse but rather to push buttons and get attention: Where do you live and where have you lived in the past? Have you ever lived in SoCal and if so, for how long?
You really think the fapper is going to care about any of that stuff?

Old 09-18-2014, 12:05 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,594,038 times
Quote:
WTF?

You're being trolled dude. Don't respond to him, he'll get infuriated that he's not getting any attention and eventually he will go away. He will likely come back, but just look for the cues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles