U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 06:22 PM

221 posts, read 277,827 times

Advertisements

I think I should get bonus points for having to be up at 5 am shoveling snow in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 06:46 PM

4,350 posts, read 4,931,746 times
In the winter I commute 5-6 hour to Mammoth.

My brother use to commute from the Santa Monica Airport to Barstow daily.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:10 PM

11,410 posts, read 13,955,986 times
Yeah, that's a tough commute.

When I attended UCLA in the 80's, I knew a student that commuted from Apple Valley to UCLA, three days/nights a week, on a motorcycle. Of course, that was in 1988, when traffic was much lighter in SoCal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsart View Post
I commuted for a year between Forest Falls (in the San Bernardino Mountains) and DTLA. Do I get the win for epic commuting? It took 2-3 hours each way, depending on traffic and snow. I briefly also rented a room in the City that year, but that had its own challenges. Once I got a permanent position that I really liked, I moved, and I've now been here in Los Angeles for the last 3 years. My commute still takes 40 minutes by car or 1.5 hours on the train (South Pas to Northridge). I don't like the valley, so I resigned myself to permanently having a long commute.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:11 PM

12,825 posts, read 19,270,873 times
Quote:
I think I should get bonus points for having to be up at 5 am shoveling snow in the winter.
Yes, that's true. And although not quite as dense and deep as the "Sierra Cement" seen in places like Amador County, the snow out your way can be pretty massive at times. Say, looks like we might get an El Nino this winter! LOL!

Old 09-18-2014, 11:14 PM

25,348 posts, read 24,141,953 times
I remember some hilarious vignettes from when we lived in NJ...my husband had moved out there to be with me. He had lived in SoCal all his life prior to that.

Our first winter there, I went out one morning to see him jabbing in confusion at the door lock with his key. I said, "The lock is frozen." He went, "Seriously?"

I sighed and went to go get the lighter...

Some time later that winter, he went to start his car and it just wouldn't turn over. There was a gas station very close by. We thought something dreadful and expensive had happened. The attendant laughed at my husband and said, "Your gas froze."

The look on my husband's face was priceless as he said in an are-you-****ing-me voice, "Gas can freeze?"

So we had to explain to him that technically, no, he didn't mean the gas itself was frozen, it was just sort of shorthand...condensation had frozen and closed up the line and he had let himself get down to the empty line and that little trickle wasn't about to break through anything.

My husband could only shake his head.

Black ice was another delightful surprise for him.

He spent three winters huddled up with his cat, who was also freezing and miserable and had been shipped from my husband's former apartment in Sherman Oaks to my place in NJ, under mountains of blankets and looking like, "Why are we being punished?" My husband would defend J.R., "He's an L.A. cat."

An L.A. cat? LOL.

That cat didn't come out from under the blankets for five long months, LOL. When he couldn't resist the litter box any more, he'd RACE out from wherever warm-ish he was huddling (sometimes our oil heating just didn't touch the cold, like on 0 or less than 0 evenings, we were trying to be conservative as it was expensive) - and stand over the litter box in agony for a few seconds trying to make it come, because, you know, when it's cold........Then he'd RACE back into arms, a blanket, directly up next to the stove or whatever.

That cat was hilarious during thunder storms too. He'd jet out blindly, running directly into a person, the chair, the wall...my husband would go to comfort him and he'd stare up at my husband with gigantic kitty eyes and gigantic enlarged-with-fear pupils like "Make it go away, Daddy!"

My husband used to get mad at me because I'd torture the cat by opening the door in the winter. Even a cold cat won't be able to resist that call, so he'd run for the door...and stop short, almost toppling over himself, cartoon-style, and then stare at the snow. And then run back under a blanket. LOL. He had no idea where the grass had gone.

As an aside to the husband (and L.A. cat) stories, I shoveled out many a car over a period of some 30 years, beginning with my parents' cars. You don't just shovel the driveway. You have to push off the foot or two of snow from the entire outside of the car first. However, if the snow plow has come down the street and pushed the snow outward and up against the driveway, there's about two feet going inward to your driveway of four-ish high feet of snow instead. THEN you get to start digging out your car and after that it's the actual driveway. However, it's not all bad news: if you've had advance warning of the storm the night before, you know to set your clock 60 or 75 minutes earlier for the following morning. Good times.

Last edited by JerZ; 09-18-2014 at 11:41 PM..

Old 09-18-2014, 11:33 PM

Mem'ries...like the coooooooorners of my miiiiiiiiiiind...

Photo: wikimedia.org

Old 09-19-2014, 01:34 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,362,844 times
Quote:
I commuted for a year between Forest Falls (in the San Bernardino Mountains) and DTLA. Do I get the win for epic commuting? It took 2-3 hours each way, depending on traffic and snow. I briefly also rented a room in the City that year, but that had its own challenges. Once I got a permanent position that I really liked, I moved, and I've now been here in Los Angeles for the last 3 years. My commute still takes 40 minutes by car or 1.5 hours on the train (South Pas to Northridge). I don't like the valley, so I resigned myself to permanently having a long commute.
You do win. Wow. I couldn't even imagine.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:35 AM

Folks, I apologize and I am unable now to delete my posts...I posted them on the wrong thread. SMH! Maybe a mod can delete them? Or move them?

Old 09-19-2014, 06:45 AM

6,203 posts, read 15,012,809 times
JerZ, as a native of this area, I love those pictures! I get more impatient as I get older, so your husband and his cat have all of my sympathy! Sounds miserable as well as quite annoying!

Back to super commutes, I commuted from the Sunland/La Crescenta/Glendale area to Valencia for seven years, but it was all against traffic. I commuted from Lancaster to Valencia for a year, which was brutal (I had get to get up at 5:30 a.m. to get to work by 8:00!). I also worked in downtown L.A. for about two years, which took forty-five minutes to go twenty miles no matter what route I took. Rain could add another hour. For the past almost fifteen years I've had a relatively easy thirteen mile commute from Sherman Oaks to Woodland Hills, but it helps that I start work at 6:30.

I don't know how people manage very long commutes. (Of course, I may find out as my rent keeps increasing faster than my income can keep up, but that's for another thread.)

Old 09-19-2014, 09:50 PM

89 posts, read 211,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post

When I attended UCLA in the 80's, I knew a student that commuted from Apple Valley to UCLA, three days/nights a week, on a motorcycle. Of course, that was in 1988, when traffic was much lighter in SoCal.
In the 1990's I worked in Burbank with a woman who commuted from Apple Valley. Yuck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles