Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 05:01 PM

221 posts, read 347,638 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a house for sale that had a partial basement conversion (it originally had laundry downstairs; they moved it upstairs and then put in drywall, a closet, interior wall to make two rooms, and hardwood floors -- so it also has electrical and plumbing down there). The current owners don't know if the work was permitted, so I am guessing it was not.

1. I'd like to either finish the work or tear it out (if I had to) and finish the basement. It's huge and I could really use having another bedroom and office. I'd also like to add a bathroom down there and potentially a spiral staircase to the main floor (currently it only has a separate entrance).

2. For a year or two, if I finished it, I'd love to rent out the downstairs room/two rooms and bath to one person. I would not put in a kitchen as I understand you're not allowed to make two dwellings on a SFH zoned lot.

Questions:
- How hard is it to get a basement conversion permit? Would we have to rip out the floors and drywall and wall/closet that is there, in order to put them back in? I'd have a contractor. Is it difficult to get a permit to put in another bathroom?
- How bad are LA permit fees for, say, putting in a bath, wet bar, and a couple of walls?
- Is it hard or expensive to get a certificate of occupancy permit?
- If I inquire about getting a permit, will they force me to remove everything that was already done, even if I don't decide to move forward in doing any more work? I don't want to suddenly face a demo bill if the cost of doing the remodel properly is beyond me.

To be clear, I don't want to do the illegal stuff that is really common (i.e., unpermitted guest houses that are rented out). I am just curious about using the huge (like 700 square feet) space down there that already has windows and such in some way that is more productive than a storage unit. Even if I couldn't rent it out, I'd still like it finished so I have more usable space.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles