U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2014, 02:28 AM

273 posts, read 249,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stabo View Post
yes, if you're a white liberal trying to be some pioneer, you will probably regret it. is it safe for a hardworking hispanic/black family? possibly. a white liberal or chinese kid walking down the street with an ipod? can you say target?
If you're a white conservative or a muscular Chinese kid with tattoos and a shaved head would it be safe? thanx
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 10:14 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,676,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stabo View Post
yes, if you're a white liberal trying to be some pioneer, you will probably regret it. is it safe for a hardworking hispanic/black family? possibly. a white liberal or chinese kid walking down the street with an ipod? can you say target?
This is ridiculous. I know plenty of white people that either live or still live in Inglewood and they got along just fine. In fact, I'm seeing more white people purchasing homes in Inglewood nowadays.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:37 AM

822 posts, read 920,082 times
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

It depends how street smart one is. But certainly the data show one is at a higher risk of being a victim. You mitigate this risk is you are street smart and diligent about safety.

Last edited by Yac; 10-30-2014 at 08:25 AM..

Old 10-21-2014, 02:11 AM

273 posts, read 249,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I can't offer any advice on the area. But I can offer advice in terms of thinking about not just focusing on the present but also focusing on the future.

Might want to ask people how they see the area in 10-15 years? Is it going in the right direction in terms of crime. Crime might not be THAT high in the area but is it trending in the wrong direction.

I'm not sure if you plan on living there permanently but if you're not think of making decisions that will not hurt your chances of selling. I.e. is it in a good school district.

Good Luck
The general rule of thumb is that any community within 8 miles of the coast in OC or LA county is desirable or if not yet desirable, ripe for gentrification in the near future. If memory serves me correctly Inglewood is only 5 or 6 miles from the coast, definitely no more than 8 miles.

Using this metric Inglewood has a high likelihood of gentrification and increased desirability in the not so distant future. Of course western portions of Inglewood would be more likely to gentrify as that portion of the city is closer to the ocean.

I may be wrong but from what I've heard Inglewood may all ready be in the process of gentrifying. I know for a fact that Inglewood was generally undesirable in the 90's as the city was often mentioned in gangsta rap by the likes of Mack 10 and 2Pac to name a few.

Old 03-20-2015, 12:51 AM

197 posts, read 219,192 times
I was born and raised in Inglewood. I welcome all the white homies to our city. Im Mexican American and I think its great here.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:23 PM

382 posts, read 268,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Valencia View Post
If you're a white conservative or a muscular Chinese kid with tattoos and a shaved head would it be safe? thanx
No, it still wouldn't. Last I checked, the thugs out there carry guns. They don't slap you with a pair of dueling gloves and challenge you to a good-natured bout of fisticuffs. Open your eyes to reality. Race most definitely plays a role in crime. No amount of wishful thinking is going to negate that reality.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:51 AM

8 posts, read 18,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emhazary View Post
My wife and I live in Sherman Oaks/Van Nuys but would like to move back to LA.
Your initial question actually has a major error in it. Sherman Oaks / Van Nuys is actually IN the City of Los Angeles. Not even at the edge/border, but completely surrounded by the City of Los Angeles for miles on all sides. So what do you mean "move back to LA"? You mean over the hill to the 'LA Basin,' non-Valley side? What city do you think S.O. / V.N. is in? Ironically you are talking about moving to separate municipality, Inglewood, that is NOT the City of Los Angeles. S.O. and V.N, like Venice, Hollywood, San Pedro, Eagle Rock, etc are ALL just neighborhood names within the City of LA.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:11 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,008,221 times
Go to Culver City instead man.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:42 AM

280 posts, read 217,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szenk View Post
Your initial question actually has a major error in it. Sherman Oaks / Van Nuys is actually IN the City of Los Angeles. Not even at the edge/border, but completely surrounded by the City of Los Angeles for miles on all sides. So what do you mean "move back to LA"? You mean over the hill to the 'LA Basin,' non-Valley side? What city do you think S.O. / V.N. is in? Ironically you are talking about moving to separate municipality, Inglewood, that is NOT the City of Los Angeles. S.O. and V.N, like Venice, Hollywood, San Pedro, Eagle Rock, etc are ALL just neighborhood names within the City of LA.
Somebody was paying attention!

Old 10-03-2017, 06:35 AM

97 posts, read 450,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Valencia View Post
The general rule of thumb is that any community within 8 miles of the coast in OC or LA county is desirable or if not yet desirable, ripe for gentrification in the near future. If memory serves me correctly Inglewood is only 5 or 6 miles from the coast, definitely no more than 8 miles.

Using this metric Inglewood has a high likelihood of gentrification and increased desirability in the not so distant future. Of course western portions of Inglewood would be more likely to gentrify as that portion of the city is closer to the ocean.

I may be wrong but from what I've heard Inglewood may all ready be in the process of gentrifying. I know for a fact that Inglewood was generally undesirable in the 90's as the city was often mentioned in gangsta rap by the likes of Mack 10 and 2Pac to name a few.
Either not yet or the VERY early stages of it:

Urban Displacement Los Angeles Map | Urban Displacement Project

With all the development going on in the city and its location (I do agree with the 8 mile rule, but I'd also add downtown LA to that, as the gentrifying areas of LA are all close to the downtown urban core, which is important as that's why the suburbs like El Monte, Baldwin Park, La Puente, Rosemead, South El Monte, and Azusa in the SGV, Pomona, SELA suburbs like Montebello, Pico Rivera, Paramount, Norwalk, Artesian, Bellflower, and Hawaiian Gardens, Compton, and the gateway cities between the 710 and South Central, which I include Bell Gardens with, aren't really gentrifying, as well as the SFV ghettos like Pacoima, Sun Valley, North Hollywood, Van Nuys, Sylmar, Panorama City, and San Fernando) it's very possible, though Inglewood doesn't really have the historic housing that's typical of gentrifying areas (Echo Park, Highland Park, Silver Lake, West Adams, Jefferson Park, parts of northwest Pasadena and east Long Beach). The lack of housing with character is why I can't see nearby Hawthorne, Lennox, and Lawndale gentrifying anytime soon, despite also being close to the ocean and LAX.

While west Inglewood may not be as rough as east Inglewood, the area between Manchester and Century west of Prairie is Inglewood 13 territory, and the houses are actually nicer in the areas between Crenshaw and Van Ness, despite that area being dominated by Bloods. Northwest Inglewood is also dominated by Bloods and is nearly all apartments as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or