U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 11:48 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,416,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candycupcakes View Post
Ok I thought Sacramento was in Northern California (I guess not) I do know people that live in California but not enough to ask if I could use their address. I probably should have picked a better username I didn't think it would be that serious. I mean judging someone based on their username on a forum is a bit childish. Are there any places in LA that are not that expensive? How exactly would I be able to obtain a California address? Someone made a post about a Apartment Complex or getting on from a mailbox store how does that work?

I'm just guessing, but if you wanted to use an active California address for your resume, then I would suggest going to Trulia.com, search for a city you want to be associated with, and you can find addresses of active apartments for rent, or condos/homes to buy. When you are sending your resume to employment agencies or to direct businesses, they just need to know that you "live" in So Cal to really pay attention to your resume. The only modes of contact and communication to you will be via email or your mobile number (which understandably will be an area code that is not associated with California).

This is my suggestion off the cuff, hope it helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 01:53 PM

6,724 posts, read 11,739,154 times
Quote:
What about when they ask me to list previous employers and all of them are in Michigan? I suppose telling them that I plan to move A.S.A.P would be important for that reason.
In your first post you said you were from the east coast. Michigan is the east coast? I lived in Ann Arbor for 9 years and never knew!

Candycupcakes, you also wrote that you are 27 but you are asking questions as if you are 10. You are sounding, post after post, well, not so bright ...

Old 09-27-2014, 02:20 PM

128 posts, read 150,454 times
It's Midwest I said East Coast because it is closer to the East where as California is more so West. Yes I am 27 I'm not sure what you mean exactly because of the questions I've been asking? Only because I am asking for information? I could see if I had perhaps done something like this before but I have not so yea I do have many questions.

Last edited by Candycupcakes; 09-27-2014 at 02:31 PM..

Old 09-27-2014, 02:36 PM

4,736 posts, read 5,938,596 times
Quote:
Hello I am new to the board and yes I do have some questions about living in LA. I plan to visit next year sometime just to see how it is there. I'm from the east coast but would like to eventually move there in the future. (maybe within a year) I'm 27/female I don't have any kids but I do have two cats. I've been to college but I only have a certificate in Graphic Design. Yet I plan to start school this January for Dental Assistant (starting my prerequisites courses) I will be starting a new job working from home as a Customer Service Representative. I don't have a car so I would not have to pay car insurance. (though I do plan to get one soon) I would like to move to LA because I think I would be happier there with all the entertainment and nice people. Plus I love the warm weather and beaches the scenery is what attracts me the most. I really don't have any family or friends that live in LA but I do know some people that live there. I just really feel that I need a change in my life more excitement. I don't mind working a regular job (this is what I intend to do) If I can't afford my own apartment I don't mind renting a room or having a roomate etc. I don't know how to go about getting a job in LA being as though I live in a different state. Would I need to change my license etc in order to get a job in LA? Or could I still possibly get one without doing so? Of course I do plan to save money before moving. Not sure what area would be best for me to live though. I was thinking maybe Sacramento, Santa Monica, or Beverly Hills.

OP, I don't mean to be unkind, but from this and your other posts, you sound too naive, dependent, vulnerable and unfocused to consider a move out to California.

Why not stay where you are, travel once you have a permanent job, and then, once you have gathered more confidence and life experience, possibly think about a move to another state?

Old 09-27-2014, 02:46 PM

Listen I am trying to become more independent this is part of the reason why I feel like I need to make this move. I'm 27 and want to be fully independent and be on my own. Yes I agree with having a permanent job and going to visit before I actually move there. (I do not plan to just up and move to LA without at least going to visit. Sorry if it seems that way from my post. But I do have enough common sense to at least visit first) No one in their right mind would just pack and move without at least visiting the state this is why I said sometime in the future because I did not mean right away. How can you even assume that's what I meant if I have never even been to LA? That doesn't even make sense at all)

For the record I am planning to visit LA sometime next year.

Old 09-27-2014, 04:50 PM

6,724 posts, read 11,739,154 times
OP, in your first post you said you wanted to move to LA because you would be happier there with "all the entertainment and nice people." You've never BEEN there, how do you know people are "nice"? It was just, well, a bizarre thing for an allegedly 27-year-old to write. (There are nice people everywhere ... there are not-so-nice people everywhere. Wanting to move to LA because "people there are nice" is, well, odd.)

You didn't know Sacramento was in Northern California, hundreds of miles away from LA; you thought it was an LA neighborhood.

You said you wanted to move to LA but would avoid Southern California because it's "really dangerous."

You apparently didn't know how to google for information on apartment rentals, Mail Box Etc.-type places, etc.

You said you were from the east coast but then later wrote about being from Michigan. (Looks like you deleted that post, but I'd already quoted it in my response.)

You said you "don't mind working a regular job" but had no idea how to go about getting one (however you were defining it). I (maybe others too) gave some suggestions about employment, given your background as discussed in your first post, but you completely ignored those suggestions/questions.

You said you wanted to move to LA "maybe within a year" (your words) even though you also said you would be starting school in January. All this without having spent a minute in California, let alone LA.

And now you are all defensive about us making assumptions about your, well, lack of brightness (I'm being kind) because of the things you've been writing.

Go for a visit in the next six to nine months. Maybe you'll love it, maybe you'll hate it, but at least you will (hopefully) have more of a clue what you're getting into.

Old 09-27-2014, 05:43 PM

I knew Sacramento was Northern California and yes I have been told that Southern California is not a safe area. As for the apartment rentals and mail boxes I was not aware that I could just make up a random address. No I do not mind working a regular job and no I didn't know how to get one (meaning I didn't know how to go about getting one in a different state) You were the only person that gave me ideas which you asked if I could possibly work the job in California since it is a work at home job which yes I could. When I said I would be starting school in January I meant I will be taking online classes which wouldn't be an issue since I'll be doing those online. Honestly yes I am a bit confused but that doesn't mean I am not bright or clueless just confused. Of course as I said I will visit before hand. I should have worded my post differently or perhaps added more detail. I do however appreciate all of the replies and advice given.

Old 09-27-2014, 05:47 PM

29,580 posts, read 31,907,081 times
Tell us why you want to move to LA...what are your goals besides "moving to LA" when you don't even know where it is. This is truly an important first question.

Also important for you to know..."LA" stands for Los Angeles, which is in Southern California. Sacramento is in Northern California. Santa Monica is located on the coast of Southern California. These are 3 separate places. Do you want to live in NORTHERN CA or SOUTHERN CA or just CA in general?

Old 09-27-2014, 05:56 PM

What do you mean by I don't know where it is? Once I move to LA I would like to get a degree in Dental Hygiene. Also I would like to live closer to a friend. Generally I would like to live in California it doesn't have to be in Los Angeles exactly I do believe I would be happy living in Sacramento. I could always fly from Sacramento to Los Angeles if I wanted to visit.

Last edited by Candycupcakes; 09-27-2014 at 06:28 PM..

Old 09-27-2014, 06:14 PM

4,736 posts, read 5,938,596 times
Quote:
What do you mean by I don't know where it is? Once I move to LA I would like to get a degree in Dental Hygiene. Also I would like to live closer to a friend.
Is the friend near LA?

Quote:
I really don't have any family or friends that live in LA but I do know some people that live there.
OP, your obvious confusion makes you vulnerable, so think long and hard about moving alone to a large city like LA, even if you do visit first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or