U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 07:21 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,423,933 times

Advertisements

I would only advise someone to move to LA if they are trying to get into the entertainment business. Otherwise, why come here? Because it looks cool on TV?

LA is a pretty crap city. I've lived here most of my life. I was born and raised here. Why am I still here? All of my immediate family is here, I have a decent job, a fear of change etc etc.

I think the worst part of LA is how difficult it is to make friends. This is entirely up to geography. I've lived in cities where you go out for a drink with co-workers and end up being friends with co-workers. Not in LA. And the reason is everyone lives far away from other other. How can you go out for drinks after work when one person lives in Long Beach, the other Arcadia, the other Van Nuys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 07:33 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,167,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
I would only advise someone to move to LA if they are trying to get into the entertainment business. Otherwise, why come here? Because it looks cool on TV?

LA is a pretty crap city. I've lived here most of my life. I was born and raised here. Why am I still here? All of my immediate family is here, I have a decent job, a fear of change etc etc.

I think the worst part of LA is how difficult it is to make friends. This is entirely up to geography. I've lived in cities where you go out for a drink with co-workers and end up being friends with co-workers. Not in LA. And the reason is everyone lives far away from other other. How can you go out for drinks after work when one person lives in Long Beach, the other Arcadia, the other Van Nuys?

I felt the same way as you until I lived in ATL, NO and spent some time I'm DC. I've also spent 6 months in Paris and considerable amount of time in London and Barcelona. Haven't been to Asia yet or South America but what I learned is no place is perfect but LA has so much more than all those cities. For me LA people take La for granted. LA people don't even realize how good they have it.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:48 PM

4,736 posts, read 5,942,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
I KNOW all security measures that I currently take for granted living in the mid-west will have to radically change when I move to So California.
That's silly.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:09 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,423,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
I felt the same way as you until I lived in ATL, NO and spent some time I'm DC. I've also spent 6 months in Paris and considerable amount of time in London and Barcelona. Haven't been to Asia yet or South America but what I learned is no place is perfect but LA has so much more than all those cities. For me LA people take La for granted. LA people don't even realize how good they have it.
I've lived in London, Edinburgh, and NYC. The only thing LA has over those cities is the weather.

Other than that what does LA have that those cities (or rather, the cities you lived in) don't?

Old 10-02-2014, 08:26 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,167,923 times
Quote:
I've lived in London, Edinburgh, and NYC. The only thing LA has over those cities is the weather.

Other than that what does LA have that those cities (or rather, the cities you lived in) don't?
You should figure that out... I already have. It takes the fun out of things. You'll probably roll your eyes, but just know there is a difference that London or Paris will never have.... Especially ATL, NO, or DC... And it not just the weather. NYC, Paris & London are def special places however and I love them all. No city is perfect. I left LA and wondered why we don't have the charm of any of those cities, but history is a valuable tool.

Last edited by jamills21; 10-02-2014 at 08:44 PM..

Old 10-03-2014, 09:54 AM

1,827 posts, read 3,297,292 times
Quote:

Seriously? People come onto this board constantly asking about the city and its environs because their job opportunities are bringing them here. This is still an economic powerhouse, though our state government seems to be trying to change that, if the news reports are true.

Sounds like most of your issue is personal, and you are projecting your personal problems onto the city.

Just don't trip the OP up because of your own problems.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:06 AM

3,196 posts, read 2,354,003 times
Yeah, just ignore Aldous9's post. It's really ridiculous.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:21 AM

26 posts, read 16,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candycupcakes View Post
I would like to move to LA because I think I would be happier there with all the entertainment and nice people. Plus I love the warm weather and beaches the scenery is what attracts me the most. I really don't have any family or friends that live in LA but I do know some people that live there. I just really feel that I need a change in my life more excitement. I don't mind working a regular job (this is what I intend to do) If I can't afford my own apartment I don't mind renting a room or having a roomate etc. I don't know how to go about getting a job in LA being as though I live in a different state. Would I need to change my license etc in order to get a job in LA? Or could I still possibly get one without doing so? Of course I do plan to save money before moving. Not sure what area would be best for me to live though. I was thinking maybe Sacramento, Santa Monica, or Beverly Hills.
Why the fu*k would anyone move to LA? It is way over priced, too over populated, like a black hole that sucks you up. f*cking tourist..I would not recommend anyone moving here unless they make at least 100k a year. a studio in the ghetto is like $800. to live a somewhat normal life and get a nice apartment or house in the good neighborhoods you need to make at least 5-6k a month. you can live in the $hitty ass valley but thats not LA. try renting a house here anywhere here for under 3k....and its probably on crenshaw and slauson. LA is not all it is cracked up to be. LA people are not all they are cracked up to be. LA is a lot of ego and attitude and shallowness, but there are also a lot of creative people and the music industry. LA is very fake and plastic but also very gangster. fu^king traffic on the 405 at rush hour forget it. it is insanity to spend your life in traffic and using your energy for that. LA is chaos, if you like living in a chaotic city environment and you think that is healthy for you then by all means get a hollywood apartment and be right in the middle of the $hit. LA is also very dirty. I never understood why people spend $3000 on a house to live in a dirty seedy homeless filled area. but LA is crazy you go one block and it is sh^t and you go to the next block and it is multi-million dollar homes. all insanity......

Old 10-04-2014, 05:48 PM

128 posts, read 150,531 times
So basically living in LA is really over priced I know it's not all how people portray it on television. Of course it will be a change I am aware of this. That's why I said I will go and visit so I can get a feel for myself. I don't have to live in LA but even a different part of California. Someone here suggested San Bernardino (yes I know it's in the Southern part of California) and a few other places. I have a close family member who use to live in California I was told that it would be a lot different which I do understand. I agree that I need to do more research I am not sure where to start though.

Someone here said something about Hostels and bedbugs so are you saying that it would be a bad idea to stay at a hostel even if I just planned to visit?

Last edited by Candycupcakes; 10-04-2014 at 05:59 PM..

Old 10-04-2014, 10:24 PM

221 posts, read 278,045 times
Bedbugs can happen anywhere. Basically, keep your suitcase off the floor and away from the wall. When you go home, don't just haul your suitcase inside. Wash everything in it first and keep it outside for a little while. Check reviews of a place first. Google how to avoid bed bugs.

LA is terribly expensive to get anywhere worth living, but it's not as bad as $3K a month for a house near the city. I've rented three different houses and they've all been under $2K. Two of them had one bedroom for around $1500 and the other had 3 bedrooms (but was incredibly energy inefficient) for $1900. All of them were a 20 minute metro ride to DTLA (or about 10 miles).

With that said, DO have a really good plan financially. That really goes for moving anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or