U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 08:14 AM

128 posts, read 150,454 times

Advertisements

I will also do some research about other cities in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 07:05 PM

26 posts, read 16,294 times
Ok now when I say 3k a month for a house, it is slightly an exaggeration but also true at the same time. My best advice is to STAY FAR AWAY FROM LA. Seriously there is nothing to gain here unless you are in the music business or entertainment industry. The only nice places to live here are near the beach. Venice, malibu, santa monica beach...All super freaking expensive. Do you really want to live in a pit like hollywood where every time you go to the store you have homeless asking you for change? Trust me for the money you will spend here there are many more other places that will be much more enjoyable. LA is crap. The rockstars and actors only live here to make money, then as soon as they do that they get on their jet and head to miami or somewhere else. Why would you live here if you had millions? To make more, because it is close to all the studios and music labels. Look at where all the rockstars live...malibu, santa monica, hollywood hills, venice, bevery hills. They all live in the only nice areas that are super freaking expensive. I am a born and raised LA guy. I have lived all over LA in every neighborhood you can think of and all I have to say is STAY THE FU^K AWAY. It is called the city of LOST ANGELS for a reason. Because this place attracts lost souls who get here and think life will be great, and then LA eats them all up for dinner. Have you ever heard that song, midnight train to Georgia? ...LA was too much for the man...Seriously LA makes people sick after a while...Internally/Spiritually. It is an empty soulless place.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:09 AM

31 posts, read 28,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blvckscvle View Post
Ok now when I say 3k a month for a house, it is slightly an exaggeration but also true at the same time. My best advice is to STAY FAR AWAY FROM LA. Seriously there is nothing to gain here unless you are in the music business or entertainment industry. The only nice places to live here are near the beach. Venice, malibu, santa monica beach...All super freaking expensive. Do you really want to live in a pit like hollywood where every time you go to the store you have homeless asking you for change? Trust me for the money you will spend here there are many more other places that will be much more enjoyable. LA is crap. The rockstars and actors only live here to make money, then as soon as they do that they get on their jet and head to miami or somewhere else. Why would you live here if you had millions? To make more, because it is close to all the studios and music labels. Look at where all the rockstars live...malibu, santa monica, hollywood hills, venice, bevery hills. They all live in the only nice areas that are super freaking expensive. I am a born and raised LA guy. I have lived all over LA in every neighborhood you can think of and all I have to say is STAY THE FU^K AWAY. It is called the city of LOST ANGELS for a reason. Because this place attracts lost souls who get here and think life will be great, and then LA eats them all up for dinner. Have you ever heard that song, midnight train to Georgia? ...LA was too much for the man...Seriously LA makes people sick after a while...Internally/Spiritually. It is an empty soulless place.

I feel like you have taken for granted all that LA has to offer because you've lived there for so long... every single person I know who has moved to LA in the past few years say that they absolutely love it. So many attractions in close proximity, so many diverse people. So much geography in short distance.... the weather! Speaking of fake/shallow people.... they will be in any city. Then again, most people who MOVE to LA do so knowing what it has and knowing what it has to offer, whereas people who are BORN there are forced to be subjected to all it offers. I can't imagine people who do not like city type activities would go out of their way to move to LA.

Have you been to Miami? Miami has nice beaches, sure, but it still has very trashy parts of the cities, and the "scum" there is arguable just as scummy if not more scummy than the scum of LA. It is always excessively humid there, there is the threat of devastating hurricanes constantly, which are significantly more damaging than the quakes that California experiences.The water in many parts of Miami and Florida in smells like sulfur. From my experiences with Miami, the humidity is so bad, bad enough to make me not want to be there. If you live in Miami, you better have a very loose attachment to your T-Shirts, because they will often get ruined by sweat.

I kind of laughed at your post though, all those places that you mentioned "rockstars live", with the exception of Malibu, are also easily affordable without being excessively rich. Santa Monica, Hollywood Hills, Venice, Beverly Hills, and so on, are not "that" expensive. An individual could easily live at any of these places with a rough $50-55k yearly income, which is easily attainable by anyone with a bit of effort and planning, you don't even need a college degree for that, and here you are talking about rockstars?

Old 10-13-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siroxian View Post
I feel like you have taken for granted all that LA has to offer because you've lived there for so long... every single person I know who has moved to LA in the past few years say that they absolutely love it. So many attractions in close proximity, so many diverse people. So much geography in short distance.... the weather! Speaking of fake/shallow people.... they will be in any city. Then again, most people who MOVE to LA do so knowing what it has and knowing what it has to offer, whereas people who are BORN there are forced to be subjected to all it offers. I can't imagine people who do not like city type activities would go out of their way to move to LA.

Have you been to Miami? Miami has nice beaches, sure, but it still has very trashy parts of the cities, and the "scum" there is arguable just as scummy if not more scummy than the scum of LA. It is always excessively humid there, there is the threat of devastating hurricanes constantly, which are significantly more damaging than the quakes that California experiences.The water in many parts of Miami and Florida in smells like sulfur. From my experiences with Miami, the humidity is so bad, bad enough to make me not want to be there. If you live in Miami, you better have a very loose attachment to your T-Shirts, because they will often get ruined by sweat.

I kind of laughed at your post though, all those places that you mentioned "rockstars live", with the exception of Malibu, are also easily affordable without being excessively rich. Santa Monica, Hollywood Hills, Venice, Beverly Hills, and so on, are not "that" expensive. An individual could easily live at any of these places with a rough $50-55k yearly income, which is easily attainable by anyone with a bit of effort and planning, you don't even need a college degree for that, and here you are talking about rockstars?
Everything is all in perspective. A piece of sh*t that has been stepped on by every person walking on the street is rather interesting and entertaining to a dog walking by it. No matter how many people have stepped on that piece of Sh*t, a dog will love it. It goes to show you, no matter where you are, you can look and find ways to appreciate it. You could be in a maximum security prison and have the most positive outlook on a Sh*tty environment. So yes it is all how you choose to look at life. Unfortunately for some of us when we look at a piece of Sh*t, we are not confused or amazed by it. We see it for what it is. Ok, so you can always look at the positive aspects of LA, if that is how you wish to view life. OR you can be really honest. LA is not a desired place to live among those of us who have lived here all our lives. Like I said that piece of crap on the floor will be astonishing to some new "dogs" that come close to it. So in the same way, for someone who has lived their life in buttf*ck kansas or some far off place and comes to LA they will be amazed> "I mean, they actually have 24 hour food here?" Well gee golly sam this place is great.".....
You need to look at the big picture and you need to understand life from a level beyond that which you perceive it. This has many meanings, but it is essentially saying that if you find pleasure in lots of traffic everywhere you go, smog/high pollution, high exaggerated rents (which are pushing out all the real angelinos and making this place full of people from elsewhere), homeless everywhere you go (at the off ramps, fast food exits, stop lights), a society mostly focused on external shallow persuits (everyone trying to be star or "make it"), lots of gangs, drugs, murder, crime, and much more, then by all means that is the lifestyle and consciousness you have chosen and I cannot knock another person. To each his own. Some would rather live close to nature away from the chaos of inner city life, and some would rather sleep on the sidewalk next to hollywood blvd.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:16 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
714 posts, read 775,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candycupcakes View Post
I would like to move to LA because I think I would be happier there with all the entertainment and nice people.
lol. this is not going to end well....

Nice people and LA aren't in the same sentence.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:45 PM

3,196 posts, read 2,351,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez765 View Post

Pfft. Get out of here. LA is full of nice people.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez765 View Post

He is actually right. LA has a very cold stand offish vibe. Like everyone for themselves. People do not help anyone here. I have seen a young girl in a wheel chair on sunset and cahuenga crying with a sign that said help, and everyone and their mother walk by like they don't even see her. oh and did I mention LA has the biggest homeless problem more then any other place in the world? and not to sound racist but mexicans and Hispanics have free reign here, meaning LA was the place where you could go and not get messed with if you were an illegal. They say there are 20 million or so people in LA, but it is more like 40 million with all the illegals. Go to any home depot in the morning and see the long lines of our hispanic brothers waiting to get picked up. LA in general is like 75% hispanics. Hollywood in general is mostly hispanics, but you have little armenia, and koreatown, etc, but even in those areas, hispanics are prominent. They even took over the black neighborhoods. Go to south central, like 40th and normandie, used to be all blacks, now its all hispanics. but this one thing makes LA less racist and more open to other colors. I knew a chinese guy who owned an apartment downtown and I heard him talking perfect spanish once, I asked him "you know spanish"? and he said 'living in LA, how could you not know spanish? The folk in beverly hills or the westside may be confused about this, but the more deeper you get into LA, the more real it gets, and the more colored it gets. Let it be known I am half puerto rican so I do not see color but I am being honest.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:26 PM

8,271 posts, read 10,510,884 times
Quote:
and not to sound racist but mexicans and Hispanics have free reign here, meaning LA was the place where you could go and not get messed with if you were an illegal. They say there are 20 million or so people in LA, but it is more like 40 million with all the illegals. Go to any home depot in the morning and see the long lines of our hispanic brothers waiting to get picked up. LA in general is like 75% hispanics. Hollywood in general is mostly hispanics, but you have little armenia, and koreatown, etc, but even in those areas, hispanics are prominent. They even took over the black neighborhoods. Go to south central, like 40th and normandie, used to be all blacks, now its all hispanics. but this one thing makes LA less racist and more open to other colors. I knew a chinese guy who owned an apartment downtown and I heard him talking perfect spanish once, I asked him "you know spanish"? and he said 'living in LA, how could you not know spanish? The folk in beverly hills or the westside may be confused about this, but the more deeper you get into LA, the more real it gets, and the more colored it gets.
Quote:
Let it be known I am half puerto rican so I do not see color but I am being honest.
Sure, you "don't see color." Right.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Sure, you "don't see color." Right.
No I see everything. I do not judge a person by their color, but I am well aware of a certain ethnic group which dominates a certain society or city or town. Saying LA is dominated by Hispanics is like saying China is dominated by Chinese. Your judgement of me only reflects some inward tension you have towards people who may discriminate or dislike certain races, (perhaps you have been discriminated against) as if that is something of great importance in life. Grow up. I think every human on the freaking planet looks at the color of peoples skin and can determine if that color populates a certain area more then others. Common sense weirdo.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:48 PM

128 posts, read 150,454 times
If I went to visit someone who lives in LA and they agreed to let me use their address. Would I be able to apply for jobs online using their address even if I don't live in the same state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or