Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 06:33 PM

128 posts, read 183,506 times

Advertisements

Yes my friend lives in LA I will read about and focus more on Sacramento.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 06:36 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Here's something else to think about, OP. Even though you are striving to become independent, it would be wise to first discuss your plans for a move with a family member, maybe your doctor, or someone whose opinion you trust.

Quote:
Listen I am trying to become more independent this is part of the reason why I feel like I need to make this move. I'm 27 and want to be fully independent and be on my own.
You don't jump into the deep end when you are just learning to swim.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:51 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
I suggest Stockton since it has Hollywood charm/excitement, access to the Delta, and is affordable. Check it out.

Another place that is central to all Southern California AND Vegas have to offer is San Bernardino. Awesome place.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:53 PM

This is why I said I wouldn't just up and move without at least doing some research. I do plan to take a trip to Los Angeles just to see what it's like. I am starting to feel frustrated though wishing that I already lived in California but I guess having patience is key.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:54 PM

Thank you for those suggestions I will check those out as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I suggest Stockton since it has Hollywood charm/excitement, access to the Delta, and is affordable. Check it out.

Another place that is central to all Southern California AND Vegas have to offer is San Bernardino. Awesome place.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:29 PM

221 posts, read 347,691 times
You might check out the Inland Empire (not just San Bernardino, but also Riverside and some areas closer to LA such as Upland). It's way cheaper for housing than LA.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:57 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candycupcakes View Post
Hello I am new to the board and yes I do have some questions about living in LA. I plan to visit next year sometime just to see how it is there. I'm from the east coast but would like to eventually move there in the future. (maybe within a year) I'm 27/female I don't have any kids but I do have two cats. I've been to college but I only have a certificate in Graphic Design. Yet I plan to start school this January for Dental Assistant (starting my prerequisites courses) I will be starting a new job working from home as a Customer Service Representative. I don't have a car so I would not have to pay car insurance. (though I do plan to get one soon) I would like to move to LA because I think I would be happier there with all the entertainment and nice people. Plus I love the warm weather and beaches the scenery is what attracts me the most. I really don't have any family or friends that live in LA but I do know some people that live there. I just really feel that I need a change in my life more excitement. I don't mind working a regular job (this is what I intend to do) If I can't afford my own apartment I don't mind renting a room or having a roomate etc. I don't know how to go about getting a job in LA being as though I live in a different state. Would I need to change my license etc in order to get a job in LA? Or could I still possibly get one without doing so? Of course I do plan to save money before moving. Not sure what area would be best for me to live though. I was thinking maybe Sacramento, Santa Monica, or Beverly Hills.
Mercy me. Ok, so you don't have any friends here but you do know some people here?

Alright, on to the serious stuff- LA is expensive, its very spread out, and I would not advise coming here without a car. Its a great city to get around in via public transport, but I would only advise that after you have gotten to know the city well. This is NOT a city like cities back east. Its a vast sprawl with many, many neighborhoods. And uh, MOST people can't afford to live in SM, or Beverly Hills. Your expectations are far, far too high, and tho I agree that people are nice here, you don't know that since you have never been here. Its really a place you want to visit with a friend. So yeah, just so you know, you are the eleventy-millionth person to ask about LA on this forum, so forgive us for being a little jaded.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:01 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,921 times
Quote:
Can people live at a hostel until they find a job and get a apartment?
Sure if you want to be carried away by bedbugs and all your crap stolen.

Seriously, you sound a little too tender to be making a move like this. Honestly. LA is what you saw on tv, its also what you didn't see on TV. You should really visit and get to know this place. You can't learn about a place like LA on a forum. Maybe you could Atlanta, Cleveland, even Miami, but LA is just an entirely different animal.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:08 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,679,372 times
Hopefully you are not going to a for profit college.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:14 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,251 times
Quote:
What do you mean by I don't know where it is? Once I move to LA I would like to get a degree in Dental Hygiene. Also I would like to live closer to a friend. Generally I would like to live in California it doesn't have to be in Los Angeles exactly I do believe I would be happy living in Sacramento. I could always fly from Sacramento to Los Angeles if I wanted to visit.
You need to study a map not only of Los Angeles, but the whole darn state. You don't seem to have a clue where anything is. California is huge - over 800 miles from north to south. Los Angeles is in Southern California. Please, look at a map - educate yourself a bit because your questions make you sound...well.... not so bright. Here,try this:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ca...5109a227086f55

I seriously hope you are a troll. If not, don't move to LA. You honestly just don't have the street smarts - this city would you eat you alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles