Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 08:47 PM

53 posts, read 69,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candycupcakes View Post
What do you mean by I don't know where it is? Once I move to LA I would like to get a degree in Dental Hygiene. Also I would like to live closer to a friend. Generally I would like to live in California it doesn't have to be in Los Angeles exactly I do believe I would be happy living in Sacramento. I could always fly from Sacramento to Los Angeles if I wanted to visit.
Los Angeles is a great choice. As far as Sacramento, I would suggest first Las Vegas ( and San Francisco). Las Vegas is a popular transient city and much closer to Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 09:47 PM

406 posts, read 434,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
You need to study a map not only of Los Angeles, but the whole darn state. You don't seem to have a clue where anything is. California is huge - over 800 miles from north to south. Los Angeles is in Southern California. Please, look at a map - educate yourself a bit because your questions make you sound...well.... not so bright. Here,try this:
This.

To put the great length of the state into comparable terms, Ill use Michigan as an example. The northern border of California with Oregon is roughly the same latitude as the Michigan-Ohio border. San Diego in the south is roughly equivalent to Dallas, Texas! Its HUGE.

Weatherwise, most of California is the polar opposite of Michigan. The weather we are experiencing right now in Michigan could conceivably be a December or January day. Right now Ca is still headed into the 100s.

I do agree that most Californians are nice, but it is not Michigan. For example, in Michigan, when you cross a street, most people will politely stop and wait for you. In California, if you are too slow you are likely to be hit by a car or flipped the bird.

I live by California standards very near Detroit, yet regularly I see people leave things like bicycles unguarded and unlocked very Canadian-style. Aint a smart idea in Southern California lol.

I feel like this area is almost a small town. Greater LA and OC are by several orders of magnitude larger like their own country, much less California as a whole.

I grew up in Southern California. What you see on TV isnt the whole picture.

The point of this is I recently made the opposite move going from California to Michigan. I have a strong support system here and it is still daunting. Please do as much research as possible so you know what you are getting into. I didnt even get into housing costs. I adore Santa Monica but you could probably buy two Birmingham, Mi, mcmansions for the price of rent of a dumpy SM apartment, not exaggerating too much. All Im saying is research, research, research.

Maybe find a friend that would be willing to make the move with you. Good luck.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:46 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Midwest Noobie View Post
This.

To put the great length of the state into comparable terms, Ill use Michigan as an example. The northern border of California with Oregon is roughly the same latitude as the Michigan-Ohio border. San Diego in the south is roughly equivalent to Dallas, Texas! Its HUGE.

Weatherwise, most of California is the polar opposite of Michigan. The weather we are experiencing right now in Michigan could conceivably be a December or January day. Right now Ca is still headed into the 100s.

I do agree that most Californians are nice, but it is not Michigan. For example, in Michigan, when you cross a street, most people will politely stop and wait for you. In California, if you are too slow you are likely to be hit by a car or flipped the bird.

I live by California standards very near Detroit, yet regularly I see people leave things like bicycles unguarded and unlocked very Canadian-style. Aint a smart idea in Southern California lol.

I feel like this area is almost a small town. Greater LA and OC are by several orders of magnitude larger like their own country, much less California as a whole.

I grew up in Southern California. What you see on TV isnt the whole picture.

The point of this is I recently made the opposite move going from California to Michigan. I have a strong support system here and it is still daunting. Please do as much research as possible so you know what you are getting into. I didnt even get into housing costs. I adore Santa Monica but you could probably buy two Birmingham, Mi, mcmansions for the price of rent of a dumpy SM apartment, not exaggerating too much. All Im saying is research, research, research.

Maybe find a friend that would be willing to make the move with you. Good luck.
I love your post, I'm one of the Michiganders about to move to California when I get my finances in order. I see so many California plates in SE Michigan and I wonder what each person's story is in coming here.

The OP needs to be much more mature about her decision to move to California, it will be a culture shock from where ever she's coming from. Yes, Michigan living is a world apart from California living, and I'm researching California like mad to be prepared for my move there - even though I have vacationed there regularly, living there is Different than being a tourist there. I KNOW all security measures that I currently take for granted living in the mid-west will have to radically change when I move to So California. I'm looking at Marina Del Rey, next door to Venice, and I am already considering registering for 'home protection' to protect myself when I get there. I don't need a gun here in MI, but I will be locked and loaded in CA. It does give me pause to consider the drastic personal home safety I'll need to employ when I eventually relocate to California, but I consider it to be more prudent planning, and it won't deter me from my future plans.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:03 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,301,369 times
Quote:
I knew Sacramento was Northern California and yes I have been told that Southern California is not a safe area. As for the apartment rentals and mail boxes I was not aware that I could just make up a random address. No I do not mind working a regular job and no I didn't know how to get one (meaning I didn't know how to go about getting one in a different state) You were the only person that gave me ideas which you asked if I could possibly work the job in California since it is a work at home job which yes I could. When I said I would be starting school in January I meant I will be taking online classes which wouldn't be an issue since I'll be doing those online. Honestly yes I am a bit confused but that doesn't mean I am not bright or clueless just confused. Of course as I said I will visit before hand. I should have worded my post differently or perhaps added more detail. I do however appreciate all of the replies and advice given.
Someone saying "Southern California is not a safe area" is pretty silly. That would be like saying "Michigan is not a safe area". So Cal is almost as big as all of Michigan, bigger if you exclude the UP, and includes a lot of cities including LA, San Diego, Newport Beach, Big Bear City, etc. Some cities are safer than others. Some parts of some cities are safer than others.

But you do need a basic understanding of the layout of the state and region.

Quote:
What do you mean by I don't know where it is? Once I move to LA I would like to get a degree in Dental Hygiene. Also I would like to live closer to a friend. Generally I would like to live in California it doesn't have to be in Los Angeles exactly I do believe I would be happy living in Sacramento. I could always fly from Sacramento to Los Angeles if I wanted to visit.
I would start slow. Look at Bakersfield or Fresno in Central California. It is much cheaper to live in each area so you can devote more time to studying and have less financial pressure.

Quote:
This is why I said I wouldn't just up and move without at least doing some research. I do plan to take a trip to Los Angeles just to see what it's like. I am starting to feel frustrated though wishing that I already lived in California but I guess having patience is key.
You need to do a lot a lot more research and have a good nest egg of a minimum of 6 months expenses saved, a year would be better.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:59 PM

221 posts, read 347,691 times
Many areas of So Cal are not that unsafe. (I mean, saying the whole area is unsafe is like saying a whole state is unsafe.) I've grown up here my entire life and lived in LA the last three years, and if you're in a decent neighborhood, you don't need a gun or even security system. I've never had either. Then again, I've always had large dogs, and they are pretty good deterrents to crime. I also think getting to know your neighbors is wise; you look out for each other. I lived for a year in a neighborhood that still had gang activity (albeit quiet), and the neighbors were great. I never had a problem. They tag up the sidewalk and every fence and sign, but the City comes out and paints over it again. Nothing problematic at all in terms of the property I was renting or our cars, which were parked on the street. But we were friendly and personable with the long-time resident neighbors and put up with their parties. So they liked us, and they looked out for us.

That said, many of the cheap areas ARE unsafe (that's why they are cheap), so if you move here with little money and no job, be prepared to be living in a very high crime area. Even room rentals in nice neighborhoods often get into the $700-900 range, particularly around college campuses where the rental demand pressure is high.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:45 PM

57 posts, read 78,164 times
"I am already considering registering for 'home protection' to protect myself when I get there. I don't need a gun here in MI, but I will be locked and loaded in CA."

Uh, are you joking? That's is so ridiculously unnecessary and such an absurd statement.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:27 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
The OP needs to be much more mature about her decision to move to California, it will be a culture shock from where ever she's coming from. Yes, Michigan living is a world apart from California living, and I'm researching California like mad to be prepared for my move there - even though I have vacationed there regularly, living there is Different than being a tourist there. I KNOW all security measures that I currently take for granted living in the mid-west will have to radically change when I move to So California. I'm looking at Marina Del Rey, next door to Venice, and I am already considering registering for 'home protection' to protect myself when I get there. I don't need a gun here in MI, but I will be locked and loaded in CA. It does give me pause to consider the drastic personal home safety I'll need to employ when I eventually relocate to California, but I consider it to be more prudent planning, and it won't deter me from my future plans.
What an ignorant thing to say. Have you ever even been to those cities and stayed for a long period of time?

If California is so dangerous, why are you planning on moving here?

Old 10-02-2014, 12:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,312 times
Quote:
Sacramento, Santa Monica, or Beverly Hills.
Forget about Sacramento. Nobody likes you there. You should think about southern Europe, maybe Russia.
It's a large country with different kinds of climates. Noble atmosphere, great people, low price estate.. Outstanding nuclear power, raising economy. There's no better place in the world. America like a country is walking dead now, all perfect things what human race got is in Russia. Hope you make a right decision...

Old 10-02-2014, 03:04 AM

84 posts, read 105,845 times
Quote:
Where would be cheaper places to live in the LA area I have no problem renting a room or having a roommate.
Van Nuys?

Old 10-02-2014, 03:36 AM

59 posts, read 82,993 times
I have no idea Friend. But i would refer one website.
www.lalive.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles