U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 03:01 PM

128 posts, read 150,454 times

Advertisements

Hello I am new to the board and yes I do have some questions about living in LA. I plan to visit next year sometime just to see how it is there. I'm from the east coast but would like to eventually move there in the future. (maybe within a year) I'm 27/female I don't have any kids but I do have two cats. I've been to college but I only have a certificate in Graphic Design. Yet I plan to start school this January for Dental Assistant (starting my prerequisites courses) I will be starting a new job working from home as a Customer Service Representative. I don't have a car so I would not have to pay car insurance. (though I do plan to get one soon) I would like to move to LA because I think I would be happier there with all the entertainment and nice people. Plus I love the warm weather and beaches the scenery is what attracts me the most. I really don't have any family or friends that live in LA but I do know some people that live there. I just really feel that I need a change in my life more excitement. I don't mind working a regular job (this is what I intend to do) If I can't afford my own apartment I don't mind renting a room or having a roomate etc. I don't know how to go about getting a job in LA being as though I live in a different state. Would I need to change my license etc in order to get a job in LA? Or could I still possibly get one without doing so? Of course I do plan to save money before moving. Not sure what area would be best for me to live though. I was thinking maybe Sacramento, Santa Monica, or Beverly Hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 03:06 PM

913 posts, read 980,555 times
troll??

Old 09-21-2014, 03:41 PM

No I am not a troll at all this is a real question sorry if it seems that way.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:05 PM

1,827 posts, read 3,295,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candycupcakes View Post
Hello I am new to the board and yes I do have some questions about living in LA. I plan to visit next year sometime just to see how it is there. I'm from the east coast but would like to eventually move there in the future. (maybe within a year) I'm 27/female I don't have any kids but I do have two cats. I've been to college but I only have a certificate in Graphic Design. Yet I plan to start school this January for Dental Assistant (starting my prerequisites courses) I will be starting a new job working from home as a Customer Service Representative. I don't have a car so I would not have to pay car insurance. (though I do plan to get one soon) I would like to move to LA because I think I would be happier there with all the entertainment and nice people. Plus I love the warm weather and beaches the scenery is what attracts me the most. I really don't have any family or friends that live in LA but I do know some people that live there. I just really feel that I need a change in my life more excitement. I don't mind working a regular job (this is what I intend to do) If I can't afford my own apartment I don't mind renting a room or having a roomate etc. I don't know how to go about getting a job in LA being as though I live in a different state. Would I need to change my license etc in order to get a job in LA? Or could I still possibly get one without doing so? Of course I do plan to save money before moving. Not sure what area would be best for me to live though. I was thinking maybe Sacramento, Santa Monica, or Beverly Hills.
Just to help you out....

Sacramento is not even close to LA; it is 350 miles to the north (is the state capital).

Santa Monica and Beverly Hills ARE in the LA area but VERY expensive. You will definitely have to rent a room at first in these cities.

You might try neighborhoods in LA city proper or one of the other suburbs.

Scroll around here on the Los Angeles and Orange County threads for research as well as checking out websites and consulting on a deeper level with your friends here.

Not sure about licensing for dental assistant here or your home state. You might want to check on-line.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:18 PM

Where would be cheaper places to live in the LA area I have no problem renting a room or having a roommate.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:20 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,362,844 times
Most transplants on a budget live in Mid-City, Koreatown, East Hollywood, or deep into the Valley like North Hollywood or Van Nuys. Studios can be about 900 there and shared rooms even cheaper.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:39 PM

I heard that East Hollywood wasn't so safe but that Koreatown and North Hollywood is pretty decent and safe. But I guess most people think it's really expensive to live in LA.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:47 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,362,844 times
Think? No, it is. Yeah they aren't the safest areas but if you exercise common sense you'll be fine. I've known of many young pretty females from small towns who are living alone in those areas because they can't afford anything else. They do manage, they just need to be careful.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:50 PM

3,196 posts, read 2,351,854 times
First, before you do anything, look at a map of Los Angeles county. You don't seem to know much about LA at all so do this immediately. Research cities and neighborhoods that stand out to you, find out how bad the traffic in the area is(for starters), look up employers in the area/s, and have a job secured BEFORE you move to LA. You don't need a California ID before you can get a job here. You DO need to live close to where you work and avoid the 405 to get to work. Get roommates. Don't spend more than 40% of your income on housing if you can help it.

Educate yourself on everything before making any decisions.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:00 PM

8,271 posts, read 10,510,884 times
Try for a room in Pasadena. It's a more walkable neighborhood, nice people, fun culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or