U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 07:06 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,957,119 times

Advertisements

Report of a German tourist who has just visited LA:

This summer took me a leisure trip in the southwestern United States. Today some of my impressions from Los Angeles. If time permits, I continue the trip report in further consequences.

Upon arrival at Los Angeles airport after 12 hours of flying we went only once to immigration. About 100 of the 150 counters were open. After half an hour we were off, the procedure above us could be taken by taking fingerprints, photo shoot and the usual questions of the meaning and purpose of travel. Because of the waiting time at the Immigration ruled a mess on the baggage belt. The band spat churning case, but it faltered when removing the case. So towered on a case tape a huge mountain of suitcases on the passengers and burrowed through the mountain to her suitcase by how Summer Sales on Baby table. After I had found in sweat our 2 suitcases a 23 kg, I thought, so has the nightmare to an end and I can go to the exit. But Nope. Now it hot to queue at the huge queue at customs. After 45 minutes we were through here and could finally see the California sun at the output.

Almost all tourists flocked to the car rental counters or the express buses that drove them to their hotels. Only my wife and I and a Mexican woman went to the shuttle that would take us to the metro. Ultimate goal of our trip was a motel in Hollywood at the foot of Griffith Park, just 200 meters from the Metro.

At the Metro station to the Green Line, I solved two-day ticket to a $ 5, which is an unbeatable low price. For $ 5 you can take in the entire metropolitan area of ​​Los Angeles by bus and train an entire day. In Cologne, already the single ticket to the next stop will cost 2.70 EUR.

With the Green Line went through to North Inglewood Compton. The audience in the metro consisted exclusively of blacks and Mexicans. Little black boys went through the car and offered to passengers drinks and snacks for purchase. In the compartment sat about a 50 year old Black and resulted in loud self-talk. Three black youths had earplugs in your ears and dance Rap and Hip Hop as though to himself. At a bus stop a group of black youth and went up to the young men in the car started to scream, to push yourself and to dance. The Mexicans next to our bench, all of which were probably tired from work on the way home, looked at each other, then they looked at us and wanted to tell us probably nonverbal, that they have nothing to do with all these crazies.

In North Compton we were practically in the lion's den. Compton is beside Palo Alto one of the cities with the highest rate of violent crimes in the United States. We had a floor below in order to get into the Blue Line in the direction of Downtown LA. Since both escalator and elevator did not work, I had to carry two suitcases down a 23 kg.

On the platform I saw almost only blacks and some Mexicans. A thick black shrieked hysterically, some friends or other passengers tried to calm down. I heard at any rate only "**** ...". What I have noticed so far - the young black men were lean and had a rule toned body, while the black women were consistently Rubens and women often gathered some small children around them.

The Metro in Los Angeles runs above ground in the majority. Only in Downtown and Hollywood it runs underground. So you can watch the beautiful city out of the window. It reminded me much of a big city in the third world. Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic I was similar in memory. Los Angeles is common across much an endless sea of ​​wooden barracks with barred windows. The streets are lined with wooden utility poles, which have rarely seen a right angle. Of the power poles go in a tangled skein from the house connections. Each German electrician would fall into a swoon at the sight. In the courtyard of the barracks most a basketball hoop was attached and before many homes were scrap cars with flat tires. In brownfield all sorts of small businesses has established the waste recyclers, the garage until the junkyard.

The highlight of my impressions was the ride through South Central, as we passed the Skid Rows. Here in the shadow of skyscrapers and glass palaces is the homeless district of LA On the sidewalks were built many small igloo tents, roadside stood gasoline drums and waste. Paper and cardboard flew through the air. Sat on the sidewalks or on corrugated cardboard were men or the men went apathetic through the streets. No one seemed to converse with one another. So what I had never seen before. I would therefore recommend every visitor to the city once with the Metro Blue Line from Downtown LA to Long Beach to go. Nowhere else can you experience the dark side of America's impressive than there.

All we did so far was kind of surreal, and reminded us of some end-time movies that yes sometimes also play in Los Angeles, for example, the film "Elysium" with Jodie Foster.

In Downtown LA, we went to the Metro Red Line to Hollywood. Here suddenly changed the audience. The first time I saw white people, either there were white Angelinos or European tourists. In Hollywood we are then in the evening on Hollywood Boulevard gone to even a bite to eat. There were many small shops with international specialties. What is striking and immediately reminded of the third world - at each output stood armed security guards to protect against robberies.

The next day we are in the Starbucks on Hollywood Blvd had breakfast. Police drove through the streets with siren, a black wool cap pulled with two plastic bags behind him and searched the trash like plastic bottles, another Black pushed his belongings in a shopping cart down the sidewalk. I said to my wife "Welcome to America".

Below the Griffith Park and the Hollywood Mountains are beautiful residential areas with lots of greenery. However, these middle-class residential areas are not contiguous, but they are every now and then interrupted by lousy neighborhoods. Because really are only dubious phenomena in residential areas on the road, makes you immediately suspicious when you go to walk and not drive the car. The streets are deserted, you can also see nowhere children, only now and then one meets eerie apparitions, usually dark-skinned nature.

I can now understand the Americans that they move from the plot only by car and do not let their children on the road.

Downtown LA is not so big, you can easily explore on foot. At Pershing Square, the central square in Downtown many homeless people lying on the grass. That seems here but not to interfere, neither the police nor the bankers who sit in their fine tailored suits on the park bench and eat their packed lunch. I noticed in all the homeless people that I have seen among them not a single Asian or Mexican. Rather, they were about 70% black and 30% white. The Mexicans still live largely in extended families and family members, which is a misfortune befall or are mentally unstable, are collected from communities, so that they do not end up in the gutter. For the Asians I have no explanation.

Interesting were the long bus rides from Downtown LA to Santa Monica and back for me. Here you can not only experience the architectural Urban Development impressive, and the audience in the bus changes from district to district. Throughout the city, the Mexicans are definitely in the majority, so that Los Angeles is no more American city, but is practically already fallen from Mexico. Besides the fact that almost all Mexicans are very overweight, I saw above average Mexican with physical disabilities. In addition, there were many conspicuous behavior, so we sometimes occurred as in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest". Probably the American social and health system attracts just to the lower social classes in Mexico. Somehow, I always asked myself the question: Can the people living here ever one 8-hour working day, as we know him, go through anyway?

If time permits, the next chapter about the impending ecological catastrophe acting in the southwestern United States, developments in the real estate sector as well as multicultural, Melting Pot and racism.

Das Gelbe Forum - Bilder aus Amerika - heute Los Angeles oder "Willkommen in der dritten Welt"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 08:06 PM

11,411 posts, read 13,961,436 times
Well, let me make one correction about your statement: "Compton is beside Palo Alto one of the cities with the highest rate of violent crimes in the United States."

I think you mean East Palo Alto. Palo Alto is one of the most affluent and safe cities in California and the US (it's home of Stanford University). East Palo Alto, however, is quite different.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:39 PM
Status: "Certified Victim™ who walked away" (set 1 day ago)

9,111 posts, read 6,777,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
All we did so far was kind of surreal, and reminded us of some end-time movies that yes sometimes also play in Los Angeles, for example, the film "Elysium" with Jodie Foster. [/url]
There are Elysium-like areas in Los Angeles, but they are not where 99% of the populace lives (nor obviously where this tourist went).

Old 09-21-2014, 10:55 PM

9,832 posts, read 7,322,836 times
People that are this hung up on race should strongly consider scratching LA from their itinerary.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:08 PM

4,184 posts, read 11,572,741 times
don't tell me....this was written in German and run through Google Translate....right?

by the way, Boosane, the OP, is not the tourist who visited....click on the link for the original article by the wayward German

Old 09-21-2014, 11:49 PM

966 posts, read 1,012,587 times
"Downtown LA is not so big, you can easily explore on foot."

Perhaps, if one's feet happen to be inside a helicopter.

The comments from other Germans (presumably) at the bottom of the linked article are also interesting. Google Translate actually does a fairly good job, all things considered.

Last edited by simbared; 09-22-2014 at 12:02 AM..

Old 09-22-2014, 08:38 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,167,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
"Downtown LA is not so big, you can easily explore on foot."

Perhaps, if one's feet happen to be inside a helicopter.

The comments from other Germans (presumably) at the bottom of the linked article are also interesting. Google Translate actually does a fairly good job, all things considered.
I like how in the comments one person linked to a blog called "Postcards from the end of America", where it just shows pictures of homeless people on the streets. Europeans are not used to America's lack of social safety nets and homeless situation. Which, to be quite honest, is something Americans have looked over for too long. But It's practically legal to be homeless and you can't force the mentally ill do something they don't want to do. It's pretty sad and sobering with all the wealth that America has.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:58 AM

1,451 posts, read 1,361,487 times
hilarious

Old 09-22-2014, 11:36 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,756,494 times
This read like it was ripped out from a notebook of a late 19th century German anthropologist visiting Papua New Guinea (maybe on detour.)

Old 09-22-2014, 01:35 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,117,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
This read like it was ripped out from a notebook of a late 19th century German anthropologist visiting Papua New Guinea (maybe on detour.)
You're so right.

Like a scientist making a survey of native species of animal.

Hilarious.

It would be a good idea when someone comes to visit the USA from any foreign country they are careful not to take their lives into their own hands by venturing into areas which are known to be dangerous. Just because you're a tourist doesn't make you exempt from violence. Hollywood Boulevard is as equally unsafe as taking the Metro to Compton. (Like who the hell thought that was a good idea?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or