U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 10:52 AM

4,117 posts, read 3,865,672 times

Advertisements

I chose Simi. Primary reasons being that it is in Ventura County instead of Los Angeles County, and that it is to the west of the L.A. basin/S.F. Valley. Since the mid-latitudes have a prevailing westerly wind, Simi Valley has a bit less smog than the Valley.

Santa Clarita would be the second choice, but traffic on through the Newhall pass is a nightmare, especially on Friday afternoons. It is better since they finished construction between the 210/5 and 5/14, but it is still awful. They do have a nice bike trail system in Santa Clarita.

The one thing I really hate about Santa Clarita is the traffic. Not much can be done about it due to the nature of the geography. Except for Newhall/Valencia, the whole area is canyons and fluvial valleys. The part where I owned my first home is/was called "Canyon Country". Rush-hour traffic is terrible. At off hours, it isn't so bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 01:36 AM

22,151 posts, read 26,616,225 times
The air quality in the west valley is usually quite good. I took this photo yesterday... Reseda Blvd looking north from near Devonshire St.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:23 AM

1,856 posts, read 2,039,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I chose Simi. Primary reasons being that it is in Ventura County instead of Los Angeles County, and that it is to the west of the L.A. basin/S.F. Valley. Since the mid-latitudes have a prevailing westerly wind, Simi Valley has a bit less smog than the Valley.

Santa Clarita would be the second choice, but traffic on through the Newhall pass is a nightmare, especially on Friday afternoons. It is better since they finished construction between the 210/5 and 5/14, but it is still awful. They do have a nice bike trail system in Santa Clarita.

The one thing I really hate about Santa Clarita is the traffic. Not much can be done about it due to the nature of the geography. Except for Newhall/Valencia, the whole area is canyons and fluvial valleys. The part where I owned my first home is/was called "Canyon Country". Rush-hour traffic is terrible. At off hours, it isn't so bad.
Since the OP works in Santa Clarita, he'll have to drive through the Newhall Pass every day if he lives in Simi. If he chooses Santa Clarita, he wont.

Old 09-28-2014, 02:40 AM

822 posts, read 920,874 times
Santa Clarita is the best choice. Newer housing stock.
Simi Valley has the stigma of the Rodney King trial and not jailing racists like Stacey Koon, Mark Furhman et al.
Northridge is block by block. Seems becoming like South LA the bad parts.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:32 AM

5,660 posts, read 6,578,639 times
Santa Clarita or Simi Valley would be suitable for you.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:23 PM

1,573 posts, read 1,120,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Ah, yes, sorry!
I will be working in Santa Clarita.
I have 3 kids.
I don't have to be close to L.A.
I prefer newer construction.
Santa Clarita.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:32 PM

5,798 posts, read 5,238,468 times
^^^^Perfect answer.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:07 PM

88 posts, read 79,632 times
Try canyon country for Santa Clarita. Simi Valley is way boring, teenage kids make up stuff to create trouble. Totally recommend Santa Clarita area. Plus you can get Six Flags season tickets. SWEET!!!! Lake Casitas is nearby as is Hunger Valley offroad/camp grounds/state park. Hope the 126 to Ventura which is an awesome city/beach area.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:35 PM

1,256 posts, read 874,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
The air quality in the west valley is usually quite good. I took this photo yesterday... Reseda Blvd looking north from near Devonshire St.
Air quality now is much better in the SFV than it was during the 1980s....while I was still stuck living there as a teenager.

Still remember the time I paid a visit back to the SFV for my brother's wedding...it was 1989 (by this time I had escaped to Portland, Oregon lol)....the temps hovered in the 100s-110s.....and the visibility was less than three blocks, the smog was that thick.

When I flew back to Portland after that trip and found myself getting off the airplane to a clear, partly cloudy sky and a temperature of 68F....I damn near kissed the ground and vowed NEVER to live in LA County again lol

Old 09-30-2014, 02:00 AM

22,151 posts, read 26,616,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
Air quality now is much better in the SFV than it was during the 1980s....while I was still stuck living there as a teenager.

Still remember the time I paid a visit back to the SFV for my brother's wedding...it was 1989 (by this time I had escaped to Portland, Oregon lol)....the temps hovered in the 100s-110s.....and the visibility was less than three blocks, the smog was that thick.

When I flew back to Portland after that trip and found myself getting off the airplane to a clear, partly cloudy sky and a temperature of 68F....I damn near kissed the ground and vowed NEVER to live in LA County again lol
Yes, air quality is better now in the SFV, but that would also apply to the surrounding areas, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or