U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-22-2014, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Hyrule
8,401 posts, read 9,546,743 times
Reputation: 7421

Advertisements

If you were moving to CA, and you had these three choices which would you choose knowing what you know now? Simi Valley, Northridge, or Santa Clarita? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-22-2014, 02:45 PM
 
Location: South Bay
7,091 posts, read 18,414,084 times
Reputation: 3323
where's work? do you have kids? would you rather be closer or further from central LA? do you mind living in an older home or would you prefer newer construction? there are too many unknowns to make a proper decision in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2014, 07:38 PM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
22,151 posts, read 26,606,075 times
Reputation: 6441
In order, my choices would be:

1. Northridge (the northern part)
2. Simi Valley
3. Santa Clarita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2014, 07:46 PM
 
1,714 posts, read 2,976,908 times
Reputation: 1125
Northridge is the most central location out of the three, but it has the worst safety and schools.

Santa Clarita and Simi Valley are a toss up, IMO... it really depends on where you work and what you want to live close to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2014, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,574 posts, read 2,343,555 times
Reputation: 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
In order, my choices would be:

1. Northridge (the northern part)
2. Simi Valley
3. Santa Clarita
I agree, the northern parts of Northridge along Tampa especially are beautiful and shaded. I'd imagine Northridge is also the better climate and closer to jobs. I don't know too many folks who commute to Simi or SCV for work.

If I had a job there, I'd choose Santa Clarita and never venture down into LA. I'd even hit Ventura for the beach. But my work is in Hollywood so I wouldn't want to commute from either of those three. I have a colleague who commutes from Northridge to work and it takes her an hour and half each way. No thank you, that is no way to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2014, 10:11 PM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
22,151 posts, read 26,606,075 times
Reputation: 6441
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
Northridge is the most central location out of the three, but it has the worst safety and schools.

Santa Clarita and Simi Valley are a toss up, IMO... it really depends on where you work and what you want to live close to.
Nobel Middle School is one of the best schools in the valley. And Beckford Grammar School is also highly-respected.

And north of Nordhoff is actually quite safe. You are probably thinking of the southern part of Northridge, for example Vanalden and Parthenia or Wilbur and Parthenia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2014, 10:24 PM
 
Location: Palmer/Fishhook, Alaska
1,256 posts, read 874,206 times
Reputation: 1895
I'd prefer the Valley.....although Santa Clarita might get better weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2014, 10:36 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,574 posts, read 2,343,555 times
Reputation: 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Nobel Middle School is one of the best schools in the valley. And Beckford Grammar School is also highly-respected.

And north of Nordhoff is actually quite safe. You are probably thinking of the southern part of Northridge, for example Vanalden and Parthenia or Wilbur and Parthenia.
I know a few teachers from Nobel. No Middle School in LA Unified comes close to that one in awesomeness and experience. Those teachers have been together for decades and still work like crazy. It's why they train people from across the district there. I've been there a few times myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2014, 12:15 AM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
22,151 posts, read 26,606,075 times
Reputation: 6441
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
I know a few teachers from Nobel. No Middle School in LA Unified comes close to that one in awesomeness and experience. Those teachers have been together for decades and still work like crazy. It's why they train people from across the district there. I've been there a few times myself.
Yes, I have heard many good things about that school.

And I am not just saying that because I was a pupil there about 40 years ago!



Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2014, 04:57 AM
 
Location: Hyrule
8,401 posts, read 9,546,743 times
Reputation: 7421
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
where's work? do you have kids? would you rather be closer or further from central LA? do you mind living in an older home or would you prefer newer construction? there are too many unknowns to make a proper decision in my opinion.
Ah, yes, sorry!
I will be working in Santa Clarita.
I have 3 kids.
I don't have to be close to L.A.
I prefer newer construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top