U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-23-2014, 02:54 AM
 
Location: Knoxville, TN
892 posts, read 473,096 times
Reputation: 1241

Advertisements

Less tourists=less traffic, at least I would hope.

Santa Monica may now be worth going to.

My bf commutes from Hollywood to Torrance....it's not the worst, but it ain't good.

Hoping things might get better in the winter.

(We don't have any data...arrived here in march)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-23-2014, 04:34 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
555 posts, read 571,015 times
Reputation: 1169
I usually notice traffic gets worse after the summer. I've often wondered if it's because more students are on the road commuting to campus. Not sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2014, 06:41 AM
 
Location: Southern California
4,350 posts, read 4,929,984 times
Reputation: 2129
I don't think it is just the student drivers, but schools of all levels. Parent will need to drop their kids of by say 8AM which then puts a bunch of parents on the road slightly before 8AM then 30 or so minutes after. Plus add all the school busses. Drive by any school in the morning, it is just a mess.

His drive is probably just over 40 minutes each way depending on where in Torrance. Being in Western Hollywood he doesn't have any good freeway routes. The construction of the Expo line slowing down Venice Blvd doesn't help and neither does having to drive by either Kaiser or a highschool. Even without traffic, taking the 101 to the 110 is 30 minutes.

You recently said it takes you an hour to get to LAX, if that if the case it would be taking him another 10 to get to Torrance. What route does he take?

Colder weather, shorter days, less people will be heading out to Santa Monica and just stay inland, but not going to make a significant difference.

Last edited by thelopez2; 09-23-2014 at 06:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2014, 10:44 AM
 
4,212 posts, read 6,361,137 times
Reputation: 2630
It get worse. Summer is when school is out and people are traveling out of town (yeah tourists come in, but a lot of them don't drive). In the fall you have school back in, then there's all the holiday shoppers/errands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2014, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
24,147 posts, read 13,668,407 times
Reputation: 11353
I noticied it got a lot worse. Many people do take off part of the summer because their kids are in school. Then you add up all the teachers, etc. Parents not driving their kids to school...it adds up to a lot of people.

Also in addition to tourists not driving as much..they also have the option usually to drive at different times..they'll probably avoid the typical commute of a worker.

They are on vacation so many might sleep in..stay out later ,etc.

Personally I would notice a significant difference when I would commute from the Valley to Brentwood area , summer vs nonsummer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2014, 12:28 AM
 
Location: Knoxville, TN
892 posts, read 473,096 times
Reputation: 1241
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
I don't think it is just the student drivers, but schools of all levels. Parent will need to drop their kids of by say 8AM which then puts a bunch of parents on the road slightly before 8AM then 30 or so minutes after. Plus add all the school busses. Drive by any school in the morning, it is just a mess.

His drive is probably just over 40 minutes each way depending on where in Torrance. Being in Western Hollywood he doesn't have any good freeway routes. The construction of the Expo line slowing down Venice Blvd doesn't help and neither does having to drive by either Kaiser or a highschool. Even without traffic, taking the 101 to the 110 is 30 minutes.

You recently said it takes you an hour to get to LAX, if that if the case it would be taking him another 10 to get to Torrance. What route does he take?

Colder weather, shorter days, less people will be heading out to Santa Monica and just stay inland, but not going to make a significant difference.


The thing is, we live less than a mile from the 101 (getting on from Highland). We live off Franklin and Fuller so usually you can get on the 101 within 5 minutes early in the AM. God only knows how much worse it would be if we didn't have freeway access so close.

To get there, he takes the 101 to the 110 to Torrance Blvd to Western (his work is close to the freeways, too).

It varies, his travel time. Today it took him an hour and 20, but he left at 7:30. Basically, if he leaves after about 6:30 it takes him forever. He said he was on the 110 for a good 40-45 mins today to get to the 110, which echos what you're saying. When he leaves here early at like 6:30 before the freeways bog down he can make all the way to work in 30-35mins.

For his route home, he takes the 405 to LaCienega, then to fairfax straight up to hollywood blvd (or LaBrea sometimes), then takes that to fuller. It's actually kind of strange bc he left at like 5:15 today, absolute peak of rush hour, and was home in an hour. It usually is about an hour, sometimes 1:15. But usually right around an hour, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less, which isn't too god-awful for LA. When we first got here he tried to take his route there in the mornings the same way back home after work (110 to 101 to highland) and it was nearly 2 hours. He's never making that mistake again.

The problem is with this city which DUMBFOUNDED ME once we got here is how freaking narrow the freeways are!! I totally understand; they were designed in the 50s, and there is no room for expansion, can't really do anything about it, but I kid you not, my hometown of Knoxville, TN (185,000 people, 700,000 metro) has WIDER freeways than most of LA. I-40/I-75 cuts right through it and it's 5-6 lanes for a good part. The 405 and 110 are way better (wideness/lane wise) than the 101, but still, I was expecting an Atlanta I-75 (8-9 lanes each side) situation here. Unfortunately there's just no room to expand.

On the other hand, though, I wonder if super wide freeways would even help here. It could just be like an obese person buying a bigger belt.

If you have any suggestions for a better route for him, let me know!!

Last edited by Mister 7; 09-24-2014 at 12:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2014, 05:59 AM
 
Location: Southern California
4,350 posts, read 4,929,984 times
Reputation: 2129
IMO, the 101 is the worse since you have alternatives, I think it is worse than the 405. I'd avoid the 101 after 6:30 as he's found out. Once you get on it, you're committed. Late mornings I'd take streets to the 10 or get on the 110 somewhere in South Central. This thread about Century give you the idea about routes south. Hollywood Bowl to Century City. I'd also avoid Fairfax. You'll learn in LA the fastest routes aren't necessarily a straight line.

His commute home is actually against traffic. If he does want to take the 110, don't take 405 to 110 , take the 91 > 110 > 10 > Streets. The 405N > La Cienga is a safe bet, and probably only hits traffic around Venice. Has he ever tried La Brea to get home? Fairfax is a bad street. Where do you work? When you asked about what is special about the westside, about 20 minutes less driving.

Last edited by thelopez2; 09-24-2014 at 06:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2014, 06:41 AM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,322 posts, read 2,165,432 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
The thing is, we live less than a mile from the 101 (getting on from Highland). We live off Franklin and Fuller so usually you can get on the 101 within 5 minutes early in the AM. God only knows how much worse it would be if we didn't have freeway access so close.

To get there, he takes the 101 to the 110 to Torrance Blvd to Western (his work is close to the freeways, too).

It varies, his travel time. Today it took him an hour and 20, but he left at 7:30. Basically, if he leaves after about 6:30 it takes him forever. He said he was on the 110 for a good 40-45 mins today to get to the 110, which echos what you're saying. When he leaves here early at like 6:30 before the freeways bog down he can make all the way to work in 30-35mins.

For his route home, he takes the 405 to LaCienega, then to fairfax straight up to hollywood blvd (or LaBrea sometimes), then takes that to fuller. It's actually kind of strange bc he left at like 5:15 today, absolute peak of rush hour, and was home in an hour. It usually is about an hour, sometimes 1:15. But usually right around an hour, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less, which isn't too god-awful for LA. When we first got here he tried to take his route there in the mornings the same way back home after work (110 to 101 to highland) and it was nearly 2 hours. He's never making that mistake again.

The problem is with this city which DUMBFOUNDED ME once we got here is how freaking narrow the freeways are!! I totally understand; they were designed in the 50s, and there is no room for expansion, can't really do anything about it, but I kid you not, my hometown of Knoxville, TN (185,000 people, 700,000 metro) has WIDER freeways than most of LA. I-40/I-75 cuts right through it and it's 5-6 lanes for a good part. The 405 and 110 are way better (wideness/lane wise) than the 101, but still, I was expecting an Atlanta I-75 (8-9 lanes each side) situation here. Unfortunately there's just no room to expand.

On the other hand, though, I wonder if super wide freeways would even help here. It could just be like an obese person buying a bigger belt.

If you have any suggestions for a better route for him, let me know!!

I personally never take freeways ever during rush hour, but that is just me. If I were your husband I would find a way to take Crescent Heights & not Fairfax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2014, 08:31 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles County
11,062 posts, read 8,980,576 times
Reputation: 28987
It's definitely much better in the summer than other seasons. Traffic is horrendous when everyone goes back to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2014, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Knoxville, TN
892 posts, read 473,096 times
Reputation: 1241
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
I personally never take freeways ever during rush hour, but that is just me. If I were your husband I would find a way to take Crescent Heights & not Fairfax.
Crescent Heights is less congested I take it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top