U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2014, 01:29 AM

4,774 posts, read 6,938,133 times

Advertisements

Ever since I started the center for leash law enforcement a few years ago, I have been after the city council to increase not only enforcement of the law, but to increase the penalties as well.
Finally they have come to a decision.

Bob.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...tilMUO7ntWZaUg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 07:42 PM

1,362 posts, read 782,369 times
That's a shame. Dogs need regular off-leash activity. Surely there are some parks or other dog-friendly areas where off-leash hours could be instituted. I don't think an off-leash dog's owner should be ticketed if the dog is not bothering anyone or causing a safety hazard (i.e. crossing a busy street unsupervised), though.

I'm glad I don't live in LA.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:09 PM

8,850 posts, read 8,981,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
That's a shame. Dogs need regular off-leash activity. Surely there are some parks or other dog-friendly areas where off-leash hours could be instituted.
We have some:

City of Los Angeles Department of Recreation and Parks

And there's one at the SM airport as well.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
That's a shame. Dogs need regular off-leash activity. Surely there are some parks or other dog-friendly areas where off-leash hours could be instituted. I don't think an off-leash dog's owner should be ticketed if the dog is not bothering anyone or causing a safety hazard (i.e. crossing a busy street unsupervised), though.

I'm glad I don't live in LA.
Leash laws protect the dog as well as people and other animals.
That is why we have leash laws.
It isn't (as some think) just a way to collect money for the city when someone does not adhere to the law.

Case in point, and I posted this a year or so ago, but I think it bears repeating.
I will shorten it from the original posting.
I tried to get a woman to leash her three dogs in one of the parks I go to.
She rather abruptly told me to go "F" myself.
About a month or two later, the same woman had her three dogs unleashed in the same park.
They were small dogs.

Out of nowhere, three cyotes came out from the bushes, and grabbed one of her dogs, and they had a tug of war with it, ripping it to shreds.
I can only imagine the pain that pup must have gone through, let alone the stress the owner must have felt seeing one of her dogs savagely torn apart right in front of her.
Had that pup been on a leash, she may have been able to save it.
Regardless of how well trained a dog may be, there are times when we can't always know what they are up to.

Form the owners report of the incident, she stated to the news media that her dog was not on leash as was customary for her, and the dog wandered into some bushes at the edge of as grassy area, and that is when it was attacked.
Imaging if you will, driving into a park with your three happy little dogs jumping all over the inside of the car in excitement of going to the park, then the horror and hurt of driving out of the park with only two, knowing and being a witness to the horrible death of one of them.

The day that woman refused the literature I wanted to give her about the leash law, and used that foul language to emphasize her dislike of the intrusion, I thought to myself, a phrase I have used often, that being, "Those that will not listen, must feel."
How true that was in this incident, and the worse being, it didn't have to happen.

Bob.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:48 PM

242 posts, read 368,833 times
i agree with the leash laws. we have them where i live too and i wish these laws were obeyed by dog owners. not all dog owners feel they need to follow these laws which puts their dogs and other dogs in jeopardy.
my last dog was a rescued black lab/chow mix. he was a big dog and he was a bit dog aggressive. (he has since passed so i speak in past tense. )
anyway, we used to walk at least 4 times a day all over the place and yes, he was on a leash, always. because we live in a suburb, not lots of traffic, plenty of green grass and open spaces, many dog owners felt that their dogs could run freely without leashes. the problem is this, these dogs would run up to my dog while i was minding my own business walking my own dog on a leash. i would run in front of my dog and yell for them to get their dog away, call their dog back, since my big dog was dog aggressive (my dog was the only dog in my household). and then the dog owners had the nerve to think i was rude.
while in my back yard one day, the new neighbor's dog, a beautiful friendly golden retriever was just let outside. i heard their back door shut, i looked over and their dog was running over to my yard, without a leash on, she was on her own. i knew this dog was friendly and running over to me to pet her but i panicked. my dog was on an extractable leash, he was busy with his back turned sniffing and he did not see this dog. i immediately started to pull in the extra leash before he would see this dog running towards me. too late, my dog turned around, looked up and saw this huge dog running towards me. the next thing i see is that my dog took off towards that golden dog so that he was between the golden dog and me. jumped about 5 feet in the air and came down on top of the golden dog. meanwhile i am screaming because i feel badly for this golden. my dog was only trying to protect me and he thought this dog was coming to me to attack so he did what any dog would do, he stopped the golden dog. at this time the owner came outside and ran over to my yard to get his golden dog. the golden dog was not hurt. i told the neighbor that there is a leash law and he needs to abide by it, especially when his golden dog runs into my yard with my aggressive dog. i was the only one hurt since i was holding the leash trying to pull in when my dog saw this golden and ran towards it; four of my fingers got sliced at the middle knuckles from the thin leash material going through my hand like a knife.
so leash laws should be obeyed and i say this worrying about the dogs off-leash getting hurt when approaching an aggressive dog.
also, those extractable leashes are terrible, ever since i cut my fingers on them, i stopped using them and started using regular, wider, more comfortable leashes.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:08 PM

In the city of Ls Angeles, the law is, no leash longer than six feet.
The expandable are illegal, but like everything else, people just ignore the law.

Bob.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:50 PM

1,017 posts, read 740,928 times
I am pro-leash law. My dog is little and likes 95% of dogs, but he gets scared of big dogs if they start climbing over him. He's fine with well-behaved big dogs that just come up and sniff a little. The last time I was at Griffith Park, a dog off a leash came up to mine. The lab was really invading dog's personal space.
I told the owner, "Your dog should be on a leash."
He says, "Oh, he's friendly."
I said, " He's annoying my dog."
So he calls his dog, but his dog is too interested in mine and ignores the owner. The owner keeps calling him while his dog lifts my dog up off the ground with his nose trying to sniff him. Finally after about 10-15 seconds of his owner calling him, my dog is terrified and starts growling and trying to snap at him. Luckily I have him on a leash and can pull him back, but now his dog starts growling too and the owner doesn't come over until that point to grab him by the collar. Even if your dog is super-friendly, that doesn't mean everyone else's is. If you want to run them off leash, LA has a reasonable number of dog parks. Instead of Griffith Park, go to Runyon Canyon where they are allowed to be off leash.

Old 09-28-2014, 02:14 AM

I heard recently that Runyon is in the cross hairs of the city council, and animal services as the next area to enact the leash laws.
Runyon canyon is heavily traveled, and I have never heard of any animals or humans being confronted by a mountain lion, but it is rural enough to have them.
Personally, I would never allow my dog to run off leash there.
It only takes a second for a lion waiting in the bushes for the right moment to attack.
I would never go there thinking it couldn't, or wouldn't happen.

Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or