Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 01:59 AM

8 posts, read 31,846 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to a house on a good school district for my daughter, which is due in December. Right now I live in Rosemead close to the montebello border which is not really desirable in terms of schools. My budget is around 800k and both parents are asian. My only ask for the type of home is that it must be a single family house, not condo / apartment / townhouse. I have shortlisted two areas but each has some unique advantages that I can't make a firm decision yet:

1. Temple City
- The Good:
- Good school district that is detached from LAUSD. Scoring 9-10 from K-12.
- Most of my friends are in the San Gabriel Valley.
- I intend to raise my kids to learn asian culture, which is easier if living in an asian community.
- The home price has resistant to drop even in a declining market. (ref: Temple City Home Price Trends - Housing Market Stats Graphs - HouseHunt)
- The Bad:
- Price is at the upper end of my affordability.
- House is just the normal 1500sqft 3br even with the high price tag.
- Further away from my current workplace, though I am used to commute already.
- My kids may face high pressure in the competing environment in schools.

2. West Hills
- The Good:
- Price is relatively more affordable and I can even do a 15-year mortgage to save a lot on interest.
- House is bigger at about 2000sqft 4br with pool and a big backyard.
- Kids will have relatively less pressure learning.
- Closer to my workplace so should be easier for me to catch up dinner with my family after work.
- The Bad:
- Middle and high schools are not as good as the ones in Temple City.
- I doubt how much asian culture my kids can pick up in a non-asian community.
- Home price has dropped a lot in the last declining market. (ref: 91307 Home Price Trends - Housing Market Stats by Graphs - HouseHunt)

Any advices are appreciated. I haven't been to West Hills but it seems like a good area. I am planning to visit there with my wife this weekend to explore and get an overall feeling ourselves before making a decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 09:31 AM

822 posts, read 1,280,751 times
I would go with Temple City unless you want your kids to be devoid of their culture and wash out their ethnicity. I would say this largely comes from the home but its reinforced when you are in a community that relishes its culture.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:22 AM

10,084 posts, read 15,804,390 times
Where exactly do you work? It seems like commute is further down on your list of priorities, but if it's a good job I would avoid buying really far away from where you work (especially if it is a long-term career type job you will have for years).

Old 09-24-2014, 10:36 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,782,979 times
do you really want your kids just to be another set of asian kids in an asian area in TEmple City. That place is getting overrun with foreigners. they'll get plenty of asian culture at home

West Hills

Old 09-24-2014, 10:56 AM

100 posts, read 128,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
I would go with Temple City unless you want your kids to be devoid of their culture and wash out their ethnicity. I would say this largely comes from the home but its reinforced when you are in a community that relishes its culture.
Absolutely shameful for anyone to assimilate into a host country's culture. Always ensure your children recognize the inherent superiority of their native ethnicity.

That's why you're raising them in California, right?

Old 09-24-2014, 11:06 AM

822 posts, read 1,280,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldBear View Post
Absolutely shameful for anyone to assimilate into a host country's culture. Always ensure your children recognize the inherent superiority of their native ethnicity.

That's why you're raising them in California, right?
Nothing wrong with ethnics to be proud of their culture. Has nothing to do with assimilate. One can assimilate yet still view their native culture as superior. Why is it when whites do so, its OK? lol

Old 09-24-2014, 11:14 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,782,979 times
living in Temple City is hardly assimilation lately lol.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Where exactly do you work? It seems like commute is further down on your list of priorities, but if it's a good job I would avoid buying really far away from where you work (especially if it is a long-term career type job you will have for years).
I work in Santa Monica, which is already far from where I live now so I am used to it. Commute time isn't quite a concern to me, as long as it's within an hour per trip.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:22 PM

I don't know how true it is, but I believe my kids would be able to learn enough american culture given that they are living in US. It's like I wouldn't worry they can't learn English well if I communicate to them with our native language because they have a lot other opportunities to use English. So it seems the only thing I should consider is how much Asian culture they can have. Yet it's all unknown to me since I haven't been through this process.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:22 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,908,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
Nothing wrong with ethnics to be proud of their culture. Has nothing to do with assimilate. One can assimilate yet still view their native culture as superior. Why is it when whites do so, its OK? lol
Actually every white person on this board who wants to live in a white neighborhood gets torn to pieces
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles