Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 03:59 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,869,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
ive known linemen who have died from being electrocuted. its a dangerous job, thats why they pay decently. just gotta be careful. its like being a police officer.
Any other high paying positions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,472 times
Cool I have questions and answers and advice

I plan to retire soon, sep 2009 from DWP. I have about 37 yrs svc. I have a million questions I can't get answered by DWP or the retiremt office. Typical city employees, they want to only pick up their checks and not do much work. Questions: If I retire, do I still have to pay $100 per month to still belong to IBEW local 18 ( for dental coverage) Q #2: Exactly how many yrs svc do I have? Retiremt office will not tell me Q3: Exactly how much will I get per mo till I die if I retire in Oct 09? Q4 Will they still take out $ 100 for retirement after I retire? Q: How much in taxes will be taken out? Q: If I move to Fla or other state with NO state income tax, will Calif still take out calif state tax from my retiremt check!? I have a million other questions. Next topic: For young people thinking of wotking for DWP or City of LA, I do recommend it, but as many have told you, you better have a mom or dad or relative to give you a down pmt on a house. Very hard to live in LA if you are young (21 to 35). New topic, Warning, DWP supervisors and ALL very senior officials DO MAKE UP THEIR own rules as they go along. If you EVER have a problem with a torturing co worker, they will NOT punish or correct the evil doer. They WILL send YOU to the PSYCH at Kaiser and at DWP, EAP they call it. My advice to you is this: Do not kill the evil doer, do not complain to anyone, just try to be all kum by YAH like in the 60s. Your boss will NOT help you. They WILL try to ACCOMODATE YOU as they call it. move you to another work location. But they will not punish or correct the evil one. Now you know. Good luck

Old 06-13-2009, 06:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seriously View Post
I plan to retire soon, sep 2009 from DWP. I have about 37 yrs svc. I have a million questions I can't get answered by DWP or the retiremt office. Typical city employees, they want to only pick up their checks and not do much work. Questions: If I retire, do I still have to pay $100 per month to still belong to IBEW local 18 ( for dental coverage) Q #2: Exactly how many yrs svc do I have? Retiremt office will not tell me Q3: Exactly how much will I get per mo till I die if I retire in Oct 09? Q4 Will they still take out $ 100 for retirement after I retire? Q: How much in taxes will be taken out? Q: If I move to Fla or other state with NO state income tax, will Calif still take out calif state tax from my retiremt check!? I have a million other questions. Next topic: For young people thinking of wotking for DWP or City of LA, I do recommend it, but as many have told you, you better have a mom or dad or relative to give you a down pmt on a house. Very hard to live in LA if you are young (21 to 35). New topic, Warning, DWP supervisors and ALL very senior officials DO MAKE UP THEIR own rules as they go along. If you EVER have a problem with a torturing co worker, they will NOT punish or correct the evil doer. They WILL send YOU to the PSYCH at Kaiser and at DWP, EAP they call it. My advice to you is this: Do not kill the evil doer, do not complain to anyone, just try to be all kum by YAH like in the 60s. Your boss will NOT help you. They WILL try to ACCOMODATE YOU as they call it. move you to another work location. But they will not punish or correct the evil one. Now you know. Good luck
another thread that is 2 years old and re-surfaced. by the way, my dad retired from DWP with 38 years service, and never had a complaint about his retirement. Yes, he was in management and not a union member.

Nita

Old 12-20-2011, 04:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
There used to be a course given at the Pacoima Skills Center for Electrical Distribution Mechanic. It was a prerequisite for taking the Electrical Distribution Mechanic Trainee exam if you didn't have the proper "on the job" experience, which, as I recall, was four years working as a helper on a line crew with DWP.

The Electrical Craft Helper position is basically an entry level position that you can hire into with little to no "on the job" experience. There is a course (Pre-Electrical Craft Helper) sponsored by both DWP and Trade Tech that is given at a couple of DWP facilities that is required before being able to apply for the Electrical Craft Helper position. I believe it's a one night a week class that lasts for 20 weeks, though I'm not positive about that. It might actually be a bit shorter, like 10 or 12 weeks.
Hi Jdavid,

Thanks for all this detailed info. From your point of view, which of the two jobs above would be a better way to go? ECH or EDMT? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles