U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 09:01 PM

822 posts, read 922,952 times

Advertisements

Its crazy to discuss what ifs when it comes to burglary and intrusion. The woman should have been armed and just shot the guy repeatedly as soon as he broke in. Shoot now if you don't recognize the person and ask questions later. I would have pumped metal into him until he flew and jerked all over the place then dragged him out to the curb for police or animal control, whichever is cheaper for the city to handle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 02:48 AM

17,449 posts, read 22,993,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I am not saying this statement is not true. However, I would like to know where you got this information or how you came to this conclusion.
Used to live in Venice, live close by, and still talk to people there regularly. This dirtbag was not only homeless but he'd done hot prowl burglaries before and the LAPD refused to come out. The president of the Venice Neighborhood Council told the cops to go easy on the homeless. Even if she hadn't, the LAPD are super-overstretched. Since the cops didn't touch this guy he got more and more daring.

Venice is unique and has a lot of great aspects but it is not worth the expense. Nowhere within LA city limits is worth that much money. Being in the city of LA means having nonexistent public services. (If one has to live in Venice, live in a security apartment building - as I did - or a secured condo, rather than an SFR.)

Old 09-30-2014, 02:55 AM

822 posts, read 922,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Used to live in Venice, live close by, and still talk to people there regularly. This dirtbag was not only homeless but he'd done hot prowl burglaries before and the LAPD refused to come out. The president of the Venice Neighborhood Council told the cops to go easy on the homeless. Even if she hadn't, the LAPD are super-overstretched. Since the cops didn't touch this guy he got more and more daring.

Venice is unique and has a lot of great aspects but it is not worth the expense. Nowhere within LA city limits is worth that much money. Being in the city of LA means having nonexistent public services. (If one has to live in Venice, live in a security apartment building - as I did - or a secured condo, rather than an SFR.)
Just get a firearm, take some classes, keep your marksmanship up by going out to the desert and doing some hunting once in a while. When the time comes, you just use it. When you live in an area like that no matter how expensive it is it can happen to you. You need to be prepared.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
Just get a firearm, take some classes, keep your marksmanship up by going out to the desert and doing some hunting once in a while. When the time comes, you just use it. When you live in an area like that no matter how expensive it is it can happen to you. You need to be prepared.
Sad that L.A. may be the most antigun city in the entire US.

Anyways safety is not the only reason to avoid living in the city of L.A., not just Venice, but is a major reason to do so. That's why I can't understand why any area in the city of L.A. is as expensive as areas nearby that are not within the city of L.A It's always better to live outside L.A. city limits. It means no LAPD, no DWP, no non-existent city services, and in most cases no LAUSD.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:58 PM

5,660 posts, read 6,585,599 times
Quote:

Anyways safety is not the only reason to avoid living in the city of L.A., not just Venice, but is a major reason to do so. That's why I can't understand why any area in the city of L.A. is as expensive as areas nearby that are not within the city of L.A It's always better to live outside L.A. city limits. It means no LAPD, no DWP, no non-existent city services, and in most cases no LAUSD.
The city's kinda like a police state, especially with its anti self-defense laws.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:03 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,161,263 times
LA be KRAZY!

Old 09-30-2014, 11:34 PM

24,251 posts, read 13,734,429 times
Quote:

Yeah it is pretty sad. Only people that are relatively safe are those in areas like Brentwood it seems where these types of scumbags know they can't blend in or get away with stuff as easily and every single house has the signs that say armed patrol,etc .

I think many just don't realize how bad/unresponsive the city services are until they actually need them.

I can't even get the city to correct my Trash Day on their website ...and this has been for like 4 years!

I've spoken to a number of people and they still don't correct it!

Old 09-30-2014, 11:37 PM

24,251 posts, read 13,734,429 times
Homeowner shoots robbery suspect during Van Nuys break-in | abc7.com

Too bad this homeowner didn't get the job done...Wonder if it would of sent a strong message to these scumbags that breaking into people's homes especially when they are home is NOT ok .

Old 10-01-2014, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah it is pretty sad. Only people that are relatively safe are those in areas like Brentwood it seems where these types of scumbags know they can't blend in or get away with stuff as easily and every single house has the signs that say armed patrol,etc .

I think many just don't realize how bad/unresponsive the city services are until they actually need them.

I can't even get the city to correct my Trash Day on their website ...and this has been for like 4 years!

I've spoken to a number of people and they still don't correct it!
And even in Brentwood the services are still bad, and the schools are still bad. It suffers from being underpoliced - the West LA Division goes all the way from the Palisades to Cadillac-Corning. While it is relatively safe, it's decidedly less safe than Santa Monica next door. By all rights Brentwood should be cheaper than SM, but it's not. If you live in Brentwood the cops aren't guaranteed to come - because you're in L.A. It's not in SMPD territory.

Likewise when you compare Mar Vista, Cheviot Hills, and Beverlywood to Culver City, those neighborhoods suffer in comparison because they are part of the city of L.A. Less safe (although all are relatively safe), dirtier, streets in worse shape, and worse schools. Same with the East Valley that's within the city of L.A. vis a vis Burbank, or Atwater Village vis a vis Glendale.

A neighborhood in the city of L.A. should be cheaper than a nearby neighborhood that is not in the city of L.A., but this is often not the case.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:15 AM

4,350 posts, read 4,944,071 times
Quote:
A neighborhood in the city of L.A. should be cheaper than a nearby neighborhood that is not in the city of L.A., but this is often not the case.
Any theories why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or