U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-27-2014, 04:12 PM
 
128 posts, read 151,134 times
Reputation: 45

Advertisements

I get that living in LA is expensive but having roommates wouldn't help at all? When you say rent something cheap on a short term do you mean something like an extended stay hotel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-27-2014, 05:08 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis
405 posts, read 409,777 times
Reputation: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candycupcakes View Post
I get that living in LA is expensive but having roommates wouldn't help at all? When you say rent something cheap on a short term do you mean something like an extended stay hotel?
More like finding a place with month to month or 6 month lease.

Although LA and I have parted ways recently I'll be optimistic and say that as long as you are able to pay the $1600 without it taking a huge hit from your income you will be okay. Utilities will be expensive, especially electricity for a/c in the summer. We paid about $100/mo for electricity, sometimes higher, sometimes a little lower. If you have a car (and you WILL need a car) be prepared to shell out for smog test, insurance, yearly tabs. All those will be high. It's the little things like that where L.A. gets you. Starts to add up. But food can be had cheaply, as can entertainment.

Of course if either of you are looking to get into the entertainment industry all bets are off.

If this is going to be your first 'big city' experience then to quote Bette Davis: fasten your seat belts, it's going to be a bumpy ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2014, 05:13 PM
 
128 posts, read 151,134 times
Reputation: 45
There was a video on Youtube where a woman said she didn't have a card and only used public transportation but that she lived close to the redline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2014, 05:27 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis
405 posts, read 409,777 times
Reputation: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candycupcakes View Post
There was a video on Youtube where a woman said she didn't have a card and only used public transportation but that she lived close to the redline.
The fact she's on youtube says everything. Living without a car in LA is making a 'statement'. Maybe you're trying to reduce carbon footprint or trying to avoid the rat race, blah blah. Or deluded into thinking where you are is so awesome you won't need to go anywhere else. It's not something you do because hey it's just another option.

If you live in LA without a car you are basically creating a prison for yourself because it is a car city. People live in their cars, they sleep in their cars, they work in their cars. There's a reason why people go out of their way to spend half their rent leasing BMWs and Mercedes, etc. You spend so much time in your car in LA that it defines you.

If someone wants to use public transportation only then they have to accept that:

a) they are going to spend most of their time near where they live

b) it's going to be VERY difficult to get around anywhere else except for key areas

and in LA you learn real fast that sometimes you need to be able to GTFO of there. How are you going to get to Sequoia National Forest or up the coast to Cambria, Santa Barbara, La Jolla? Hell Redondo freakin beach! Taking the bus to Joshua Tree? Good luck with that.

Remember we are talking 18 million people. Let me repeat: 18. Million. People.

So yeah you can live the 'locally sourced' fantasy of just using a bike or public transit, but there's a hefty price to pay. I've done the public transportation thing. LA has the most unreliable public transportation of a major city that I've been to.

Now if you have a car *but* want to use public trans. whenever you can. That's a-ok. Highly recommend that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2014, 11:47 PM
 
108 posts, read 245,758 times
Reputation: 206
Car ownership is much more of a prison, especially in high COL areas like LA. The middle class spends between 15%-30% of their income just on car payments, maintenance, gas, etc. This is money that could be used for vacations, retirement, or paying off student loans. Arranging your life without a car also frees you from wasting your life in traffic and the chronic low grade stress of said traffic.

LA is building out its light rail network and has car share (zipcar). Even if you use car share every other weekend for 7 hours, it's still cheaper than owning a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2014, 01:08 AM
 
Location: West Hollywood
3,196 posts, read 2,362,758 times
Reputation: 5262
Public transit in LA is much more burdensome than car ownership. What you give up in $$$ you make up in time and convenience. It can take several times longer to get anywhere on public transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2014, 02:14 AM
 
Location: Southern California
4,350 posts, read 4,958,716 times
Reputation: 2129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajacksb View Post
Car ownership is much more of a prison, especially in high COL areas like LA. The middle class spends between 15%-30% of their income just on car payments, maintenance, gas, etc. This is money that could be used for vacations, retirement, or paying off student loans. Arranging your life without a car also frees you from wasting your life in traffic and the chronic low grade stress of said traffic.

LA is building out its light rail network and has car share (zipcar). Even if you use car share every other weekend for 7 hours, it's still cheaper than owning a car.
A car is 1) Transportation 2) Tool or 3) a Luxury. Anything over $3000 for a car is a luxury or tool.

I'll pass on arraigning my life based on bus lines and train lines defined by others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2014, 02:37 AM
 
Location: Lake Oswego, Manhattan, Aspen
3,141 posts, read 3,972,855 times
Reputation: 11078
Honey, you are NOT ready.

There are very good reasons why Blacks and Whites are fleeing California in droves (except for the rich ones). It's a very difficult and competitive place. And it's a dangerous place, except for parts far from the center, and parts that are grotesquely expensive.

Venice is one of the nicer places where a couple of young women could maybe afford one of the shabbier apartments/honeymoon cottages. Here's a scene from just yesterday, that encapsulates life in the affordable parts of the LA metroplex: http://www.farrahgray.com/wp-content...ed-on-roof.jpg The only reason it made the news was because it was such a great photo-op. If that guy had caught her, he'd have spent all afternoon in her little bungalow, raping and killing her.

LA is extremely 'diverse'. That means you pay to be insulated from the 'Crime'. The more money you have, the more safety and insulation you will be able to buy. So, to answer your questions about cost, we'd need to know how much risk and wretchedness you're willing to tolerate.

____________________
PS:

And on the subject of beautiful actresses in peril, I just remembered Lana Clarkson, the girl killed by record producer Phil Spector in his Castle. She had a tiny ramshackle cottage in Venice, for which she paid twelve hundred Dollars a month. It was 454 square feet (smaller than most efficiency apartments, it would originally have been called a 'honeymoon cottage'). I'm sure it would go for two thousand or more, today. Anyway, despite having a more successful than average acting career, that's all Lana was able to afford... and that, only because she was willing to fix it up, herself. http://www.iamnotastalker.com/2012/1...-former-house/ Today, considering that the board fence has been replaced by a stuccoed wall, and the miniscule .09 acre lot is landscaped to the hilt, the plantings including Lavender, Mallows, and Tibouchina, I'm going to guess that the cottage has been bought and gentrified by a member of the Cognitive Elite (If you've got an IQ over 150, and a good job, this micro-cottage is what you can probably afford, in a halfway-decent part of LA.) What you'd pay two thousand of today's Dollars for (shown in the Findagrave archive shot) would not be nearly so nice.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 09-28-2014 at 04:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2014, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Altadena, CA
1,519 posts, read 1,425,349 times
Reputation: 2678
Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
People live in their cars, they sleep in their cars, they work in their cars. There's a reason why people go out of their way to spend half their rent leasing BMWs and Mercedes, etc. You spend so much time in your car in LA that it defines you.
Great post and you raise a great question about cars in LA. Coming from Michigan, I'm more used to seeing vehicles from the Big 3 (or rather Big 2 1/2) and many Toyotas and Hondas, etc. However what I noticed immediately about LA is the extremely high proportion of newer model Toyotas (Prius), Honda and German cars - BMW and Mercedes. I would say that 60% of these cars also tend to be the high end versions of the automakers, with exception of the BMW/Mercedes, the lower ends of these models are equivalent to the high end version of most domestic cars.

So your comment made me connect the dots in realizing that if the average person is spending at least 3 hours in their car per day, they may as well invest a good portion of their salary to having the exact car they want, and need for functionality and status.

I would assume in other parts of California, or further on the outskirts of LA, regular people do have older model domestic cars. Is this a fair assessment?


To the OP, I hope you are reading some of these comments with all seriousness, LA is no place for very young people to go who are ill equipped financially, emotionally, and lacking solid social support.

Last edited by MItoBH; 09-28-2014 at 09:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2014, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Southern California
4,350 posts, read 4,958,716 times
Reputation: 2129
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Great post and you raise a great question about cars in LA. Coming from Michigan, I'm more used to seeing vehicles from the Big 3 (or rather Big 2 1/2) and many Toyotas and Hondas, etc. However what I noticed immediately about LA is the extremely high proportion of newer model Toyotas (Prius), Honda and German cars - BMW and Mercedes. I would say that 60% of these cars also tend to be the high end versions of the automakers, with exception of the BMW/Mercedes, the lower ends of these models are equivalent to the high end version of most domestic cars.

So your comment made me connect the dots in realizing that if the average person is spending at least 3 hours in their car per day, they may as well invest a good portion of their salary to having the exact car they want, and need for functionality and status.

I would assume in other parts of California, or further on the outskirts of LA, regular people do have older model domestic cars. Is this a fair assessment?


To the OP, I hope you are reading some of these comments with all seriousness, LA is no place for very young people to go who are ill equipped financially, emotionally, and lacking solid social support.
Census data has median or average (I forgot which) person driving only 29 minutes a day which surprised me. I'm guessing the drivers were still stuck on the freeway when the census people were polling.

There are a few reasons about the higher number of asian imports in the west coast, can't bring them up on a public forum without starting a religious war. Just visit the automotive forums.

Gas is expensive, resale values of CA cars are high, people use to get to use the carpool lane saving hours a day, are some of the reasons of the high number of new Prius and other "Green" cars.

Yes you'll see higher end of cars and suvs here, people will drive Escalades versus Suburbans or Yukons, Cadillac over GMs, Lexus over Toyota. You'll also see a higher number of older low and midrange imports on the road versus 15 year old Big 3.

The 60% you mention might be high in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top