U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 01:33 PM

134 posts, read 113,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteoleander View Post
My friend and I have decided to move to Los Angeles. We have our eye on a few places, specifically one for $1600 a month, and we would split everything in half. She is taking her car, but I'm leaving mine (because I honestly don't think it would make the trip out there). We both plan to get 2 jobs (and set up interviews for places before we move out there in March). And we aren't getting cable. I would just like to know the approximate cost of things out there. I know there's state tax, but don't know how much it takes off.
We won't be spending any money on clothes, but we might go out a few times a month. I'm 18 and she's 21 so there's going to be some nights we go out, but it won't be regular.
Anything helps and everything is appreciated!
(We both also currently have 2 jobs saving up for this, and I'm working on getting a third).
Sorry if this is all over the place and unorganized and ???? I would just like to price things and get them worked out. Thanks!
Its funny how NOBODY gave you an answer. I'll give you one. Me and my wife in our mid-20s spend $2200 - $2500 a month for everything. $1300 rent, $300 car payment, and the rest is food and small bills like phone internet or car insurance, I also don't have cable. I don't think there is a major (if any) difference in costs between California and other parts of the country excluding housing. I lived in Phoenix before and other than rent everything is pretty much the same so if you know much you need to spend on rent nothing should catch you off-guard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 05:25 PM

221 posts, read 277,939 times
For the basics on a one-bedroom house (tiny, but has a garage, in a good neighborhood about 15 min to DTLA), we're paying:
$1500 rent (water/trash included)
$50-150 electricity (summer gets expensive with a/c)
$25 natural gas
$80 internet/cable bundled with U-verse
$20 renter's insurance
$300 in gas and train pass for my commute
$200 in gas for partner's commute
$130 cell phones for both of us, unlimited talk/text plus data
$300 in groceries (bare minimum; we shop a lot at farmer's markets and this doesn't include going to restaurants)
$200 in car insurance for both cars
$200/year in parking tags (we don't have off-street parking and it's an area that requires a paid parking tag... you want to check into parking as many areas of LA do not have free parking or parking is not included in rent)

Two bedrooms in desirable neighborhoods often run $2000-2500, though older apartments are cheaper than condos and houses. We have dogs so we opt for a house.

That's our basics. Any debt would be added on, as would what you anticipate spending to go out, shop (clothes/furniture/etc.) and vacation. That varies considerably depending on what you're doing in LA. Examples:

You can go to happy hour at many of the nicer restaurants/bars on a week-night kind of early in the evening and spend about $10-20/person and eat dinner and have a drink or two. Or you can go to the same place on a weekend prime time and spend three times that amount if not more.

You can spend a nice day hiking in Malibu with a picnic lunch for the cost of gas. Or you can go shopping in Santa Monica, eat out at restaurants, and spend hundreds of dollars.

You can get name brand clothes for tons of money new, or you can go to one of LA's many excellent used clothes boutiques and get the same clothes for almost nothing.

Just depends on what you're envisioning -- I can't put estimates on that stuff as it depends on your taste/interests.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:28 PM

221 posts, read 277,939 times
Oh, and calculators like this one can help you judge what you'll likely make depending on your tax bracket and status:

Salary Paycheck Calculator | Payroll Calculator | Paycheck City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles