U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 08:42 AM

24,151 posts, read 13,675,815 times

Advertisements

They usually end up "settling" for someone very different from the one they were " looking" for .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 11:51 AM

822 posts, read 920,440 times
It's always interesting to hear some women believe they can capture attractive and successful men when the men don't even notice them at all.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:44 PM

5,660 posts, read 6,577,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
It's always interesting to hear some women believe they can capture attractive and successful men when the men don't even notice them at all.
Then they ask "Where all the good men gone".

Old 09-28-2014, 01:15 PM

4,088 posts, read 3,546,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcimos View Post
I'm curious about how many men in Los Angeles are:

single
tall (6'-0" & taller)
straight
have a PhD

AND

speak French, German, Italian, Dutch, or Swedish

I would guess the number is ZERO,

so how many in the USA?
three?
Do they HAVE to be straight? Cuz that's where you're gonna get hung up.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:20 PM

8,830 posts, read 8,963,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Then they ask "Where all the good men gone".
Wish I could rep you again.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:35 AM

1,003 posts, read 817,205 times
I found several sites which claim that the percentage of American men 6' or over is 14.5%: Why Do We Love Tall Men?

According to this 2013 survey from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2.2% of American adult men self-identify as either gay or bi: What percentage of the U.S. population is gay, lesbian or bisexual? - The Washington Post

So 97.8% of American men are straight.

This site says that about 1.68% of Americans have PhD.'s: What percentage of Americans have a PhD? | Ask.com

However, men hold a little over twice as many PhD.'s as do women. So roughly 2.5% of American men hold PhD.'s

Which means that (assuming that holding a PhD is proportionately the same among men of all heights, and all gender orientations, about 0.354525% of American men are straight PhD. holders who are 6' or over.

Examining U.S. Census data, I calculate that there are about 140,400,000 adult men in America. (Some say that the homeless and illegal immigrants are undercounted, but they likely don't have any PhD's. anyway).

So I estimate that there are roughly 497,753 straight American men with PhD.'s who are 6' or over.

Surely several thousand of them, at the least, must speak one of the languages you cite.

Last edited by Cinema Cat; 09-29-2014 at 04:11 AM..

Old 09-29-2014, 05:25 AM

4,350 posts, read 4,931,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcimos View Post
I'm curious about how many men in Los Angeles are:

single
tall (6'-0" & taller)
straight
have a PhD

AND

speak French, German, Italian, Dutch, or Swedish

I would guess the number is ZERO,

so how many in the USA?
three?
I might be reading this wrong, but it looks like the female is from Europe and can't speak English. I'm sure they'd sure they'd settle on dating a M.D. too. There should be a box that states current citizenship/immigration status.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:35 AM

10,315 posts, read 6,375,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
I found several sites which claim that the percentage of American men 6' or over is 14.5%: Why Do We Love Tall Men?

According to this 2013 survey from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2.2% of American adult men self-identify as either gay or bi: What percentage of the U.S. population is gay, lesbian or bisexual? - The Washington Post

So 97.8% of American men are straight.

This site says that about 1.68% of Americans have PhD.'s: What percentage of Americans have a PhD? | Ask.com

However, men hold a little over twice as many PhD.'s as do women. So roughly 2.5% of American men hold PhD.'s

Which means that (assuming that holding a PhD is proportionately the same among men of all heights, and all gender orientations, about 0.354525% of American men are straight PhD. holders who are 6' or over.

Examining U.S. Census data, I calculate that there are about 140,400,000 adult men in America. (Some say that the homeless and illegal immigrants are undercounted, but they likely don't have any PhD's. anyway).

So I estimate that there are roughly 497,753 straight American men with PhD.'s who are 6' or over.

Surely several thousand of them, at the least, must speak one of the languages you cite.
^^^ What happens when people have free time on their hands in the Google Age.

But I enjoyed it!

Old 09-29-2014, 09:34 AM

822 posts, read 920,440 times
Just for a new laugh if you haven't read this before. This was widely circulated years ago but still so funny.

Source: Craigslist Gold Digger Meets Her Match! - Urban Legends

Self-described "spectacularly beautiful" woman posts an online personals ad stating her wish to pair off with a marriageable "rich guy" in New York City. Wall Street banker replies, "Your offer... is plain and simple a crappy business deal."

Description: Viral text / Forwarded email
Circulating since: Sept. 2007

Example:
Email contributed by Gregory D., Oct. 11, 2007:
THIS APPEARED ON CRAIG'S LIST
What am I doing wrong?
Okay, I'm tired of beating around the bush. I'm a beautiful (spectacularly beautiful) 25 year old girl. I'm articulate and classy. I'm not from New York. I'm looking to get married to a guy who makes at least half a million a year. I know how that sounds, but keep in mind that a million a year is middle class in New York City, so I don't think I'm overreaching at all.
Are there any guys who make 500K or more on this board? Any wives? Could you send me some tips? I dated a business man who makes average around 100 - 150. But that's where I seem to hit a roadblock. 150,000 won't get me to central park west. I know a woman in my yoga class who was married to an investment banker and lives in Tribeca, and she's not as pretty as I am, nor is she a great genius. So what is she doing right? How do I get to her level?
Here are my questions specifically:
-Where do you single rich men hang out? Give me specifics - bars, restaurants, gyms
-What are you looking for in a mate? Be honest guys, you won't hurt my feelings
-Is there an age range I should be targeting (I'm 25)?
-Why are some of the women living lavish lifestyles on the upper east side so plain? I've seen really 'plain jane' boring types who have nothing to offer married to incredibly wealthy guys. I've seen drop dead gorgeous girls in singles bars in the east village. What's the story there?
-Jobs I should look out for? Everyone knows - lawyer, investment banker, doctor. How much do those guys really make? And where do they hang out? Where do the hedge fund guys hang out?
-How you decide marriage vs. just a girlfriend? I am looking for MARRIAGE ONLY
Please hold your insults - I'm putting myself out there in an honest way. Most beautiful women are superficial; at least I'm being up front about it. I wouldn't be searching for these kind of guys if I wasn't able to match them - in looks, culture, sophistication, and keeping a nice home and hearth.
--------------------
THE ANSWER
Dear Pers-:
I read your posting with great interest and have thought meaningfully about your dilemma. I offer the following analysis of your predicament. Firstly, I'm not wasting your time, I qualify as a guy who fits your bill; that is I make more than $500K per year. That said here's how I see it.
Your offer, from the prospective of a guy like me, is plain and simple a crappy business deal. Here's why. Cutting through all the B.S., what you suggest is a simple trade: you bring your looks to the party and I bring my money. Fine, simple. But here's the rub, your looks will fade and my money will likely continue into perpetuity...in fact, it is very likely that my income increases but it is an absolute certainty that you won't be getting any more beautiful!
So, in economic terms you are a depreciating asset and I am an earning asset. Not only are you a depreciating asset, your depreciation accelerates! Let me explain, you're 25 now and will likely stay pretty hot for the next 5 years, but less so each year. Then the fade begins in earnest. By 35 stick a fork in you!
So in Wall Street terms, we would call you a trading position, not a buy and hold...hence the rub...marriage. It doesn't make good business sense to "buy you" (which is what you're asking) so I'd rather lease. In case you think I'm being cruel, I would say the following. If my money were to go away, so would you, so when your beauty fades I need an out. It's as simple as that. So a deal that makes sense is dating, not marriage.
Separately, I was taught early in my career about efficient markets. So, I wonder why a girl as "articulate, classy and spectacularly beautiful" as you has been unable to find your sugar daddy. I find it hard to believe that if you are as gorgeous as you say you are that the $500K hasn't found you, if not only for a tryout.
By the way, you could always find a way to make your own money and then we wouldn't need to have this difficult conversation.
With all that said, I must say you're going about it the right way.
Classic "pump and dump."I hope this is helpful, and if you want to enter into some sort of lease, let me know.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:30 AM

221 posts, read 277,827 times
Many PhDs will speak French, German, or Italian. Those languages are fairly standard for preparation for a PhD in the Humanities or Social Sciences. My preparation work included competency or fluency in both French and German.

I'm a woman, but I more or less fit those criteria if adjusted for being female... except I'm not single, and I'm bi, not straight.

That said, I have never understood why the PhD is an allure for women (not so with men), and like many people with PhDs, I dislike having my education conflated with my identity. I also don't find that the average person understands that most PhDs do not make oodles of cash, especially if they are in academia. We make middle class salaries and most of us got into some obscure, small specialization of the universe because we are fascinated by it -- not because we thought it'd pay us a lot of cash. I don't know why, but many people I meet have very unrealistic ideas about what a PhD means in terms of income, time off, and our lifestyle. Most of us lead fairly normal middle class lives, except that we spend inordinate amounts of time studying things that the average person doesn't care about, and that makes us happy in ways that other people don't understand. (Which, by the way, is not all it's cracked up to be for spouses, which is why a lot of PhDs are single, at least intermittently, for much of their lives. You have to find that special someone who doesn't mind that you are driven to work 60-80 hours a week for a normal income, that doesn't mind you travel a lot without them for academic conferences, and that you are as likely to get super excited about some esoteric discovery or being published in a journal that only a handful of people read as you are about buying your first house together.)

That is to say... I find people's dating criteria very odd. And if I were single, I'd avoid like the plague people whose first criteria had to do with my height and degree. Being well-educated is another thing altogether... but you don't need advanced degrees to be well-educated about the world, well-read, and interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles