U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2014, 09:50 AM

128 posts, read 150,396 times

Advertisements

I read where people have said that they were able to get a job while traveling. I'm not sure if anyone here has ever done that before. For example lets say if I decided to visit Sacramento and applied for a job while visiting and I exampled that I plan to move there within the next month. This is just a question and I am wondering if anyone has ever done this before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 04:01 PM

242 posts, read 368,205 times
this is can be done, it's not impossible. but you are thinking way too much into this. it is what it is.
you cannot PLAN to go visit and then all of a sudden you are employed. why waste your energies thinking about this? you need to be more realistic and have backup plans.
so you come to california for a vacation, great! look around for work and if you get hired, great! i wish you all the best.
more than likely getting a job while on vacation isn't going to happen though, although it could.
you need to have money saved first thing.
i am planning on moving to california myself. i was supposed to already be there but had some setbacks.
i have been saving money because i will be going there without a job and without an apartment. i am also middle aged and people tell me i will not find employment. but anything is possible. and you have to have faith!
so remember that you should not worry what others say, anything can happen. but like i stated earlier, make sure you have backup plans and extra money just in case.
good luck!

Old 09-28-2014, 09:32 PM

128 posts, read 150,396 times
It was just something I thought about due to reading about someone doing something like this. I would never do this though it would be too risky not knowing if I would actually get hired or not. The only way I would do this is if I was going to live with someone until I found a job otherwise I wouldn't.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:13 PM

7,091 posts, read 18,414,084 times
A guy I work with from the uk did almost this. He was here visiting family a few years ago and decided with his wife that they'd like to live here. He found a recruiting agency and went on some interviews prior to heading back to London. He was offered a job and the company allowed him to start after giving him time to go back home and get his new life together.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:44 PM

42 posts, read 42,164 times
Cruising this thread because I am planning on moving to SoCal in a month. GypsyLady's comment above gives me pause. What do you mean they say you won't find a job in the LA area as a middle aged person? I'm a mature person and, while I have money saved, want to and need to work. I'm semi-retired and won't be picky about the work, have a masters in psych, am bi-lingual (Spanish-speaking, native English speaker), and I have sales as well as office skills. I was once a licensed professional in the healthcare field but prefer a different field. So I'm not expecting to get a high paying, mid-level management position or anything. I have a good appearance and attitude, but my birth certificate don't lie. I do get that L.A. is a very youth oriented place. But sometimes employers need someone with maturity and experience, right? Couldn't I reasonably expect to find employment within a few months?

Also, I've been vacillating between LA and San Diego. Is the SD job market that much more dismal than L.A. as some have said on these forums? I am coming from St Louis, a much much smaller and very tight market. Even the simplest jobs here are obtained through knowing someone. I am originally from NYC and I am hoping that the job market in SoCal will be more like New York, massive and metro, with openings here and there for someone mature who has good business experience.

On the upside, I am about to purchase a new car to replace the gas-guzzler I now drive but think I may wait until I figure out where I'll be settling. I'm sure gas prices will be an adjustment after living in the Midwest. It may convince me to buy a newer hybrid rather than an older, used Mercedes C class or whatever.

Last edited by TravelingBard; 09-29-2014 at 09:48 PM..

Old 09-30-2014, 07:52 AM

242 posts, read 368,205 times
i never said that moving to la as a middle aged person would be problem, other people did.
if you reread my post, you will see that i said that this did not bother me in the least because i was still moving to la.
and yes, if you buy a new car now, you will have to pay more taxes on your car when you register it for california. you should do some research on bringing a new car into california from out of state.
i am not concerned or worried about moving to la without a job. i know that i will get a job within 1 month of moving there. age is just a number to me. and personally, i do not consider la to be a city where the majority of residents are all young. and not all the residents are into acting.
i have always worked in hospitality being both waitress and bartender, hostess and cashier. then when i moved up north, i went back to school for computer science. but when i first get to la, i plan on looking for a job in the hospitality field until i can find a job in my field. i might be middle age but i am on no medications and have no ailments, i work out, eat healthy and take care of myself. i have excellent work ethics and the 'young people' think i am pretty cool. lol
wish you the best for your move.

Last edited by GypsyLady13; 09-30-2014 at 08:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or