U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 01:59 PM

45 posts, read 60,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapetiteruse View Post
While I can't speak to specific locations in the area, I highly recommend Long Beach/Bellmont Shores area. There's tons to do around the downtown LBC area. Bellmont Shores has an awesome Sunday farmers market, there's a great movie theater/shopping center at the marina, beautiful bike paths, walkways along the beach.

I also highly recommend Westside Rentals, although I used it through the military so I didn't have to pay.

I concur that the small dog shouldn't be an issue. Usually up to 20-25 lbs is the standard, with a $200-$400 additional deposit. Some places may also charge an additional monthly pet rent fee of $20-$30, but there are plenty of places that don't.

Long Beach also has a dog beach down toward Bellmont Shores.

Good luck!!
good to know! i wasn't aware of all of the amenities in LB so definitely nice to hear someone's perspective on it thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 02:20 PM

1,451 posts, read 1,361,487 times
Long Beach gets ghetto real quick...

Old 09-29-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid View Post
Long Beach gets ghetto real quick...
see it is funny you mention that, because that's exactly what i've always been told....

Old 09-29-2014, 11:40 PM

37 posts, read 37,344 times
Long Beach is it's own area… Yeah it's part of the greater LA area but you're not going to find yourself straying out of there too often because it's a trip to get up north. To me that's like saying I'm going to move to Dallas and then moving to Fort Worth. Technically you're close but not enough that it's convenient to explore.

If you're moving to LA because you want to be in LA then move to LA. Long Beach has it's nice parts but it's not LA. Silverlake is amazing as are a lot of the other areas you've mentioned and with a little bit of patience you can find something in your budget.

I'd recommend against LB though.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:41 AM

44 posts, read 61,081 times
You should check out Culver City or the West Los Angeles area..(possibly around Sawtelle?) maybe even Westwood if you don't mind being near UCLA and all the college kids. $1200-$1300 might work..you just won't be living at the Ritz. It'll be an old place. I definitely recommend westside rentals though..I found an amazing deal on a loft in playa vista. (Kinda wish I hadn't moved from it being in the bay area now with a place half the size and 1.5 times as expensive haha), but it's a very useful tool to use. Craigslist can be really hit or miss. Also, I found the west side pretty dog friendly when i was there..all my friends had dogs..and my place was dog friendly as well. I don't know a lot about Long Beach..but I did like what I saw when I was there..but like another poster has already said..if you're moving to LA..you should move to LA..Long Beach to most parts of LA can be an awful drive a lot of the time..you'll kind of isolate yourself from most of the city. You might want to look into Burbank or other areas of the valley if you don't have luck on the west side. Burbank is a nice town..and close to the hollywood area for entertainment. Moving to CA from most areas often results in making compromises in some way with regards to your living situation.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:02 AM

555 posts, read 571,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitsjhock View Post
see it is funny you mention that, because that's exactly what i've always been told....
It really depends. Some places are really, really, REALLY nice, other places less so. Long Beach the city and Long Beach the rap song are two entirely different things.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeymike View Post
Long Beach is it's own area… Yeah it's part of the greater LA area but you're not going to find yourself straying out of there too often because it's a trip to get up north. To me that's like saying I'm going to move to Dallas and then moving to Fort Worth. Technically you're close but not enough that it's convenient to explore.

If you're moving to LA because you want to be in LA then move to LA. Long Beach has it's nice parts but it's not LA. Silverlake is amazing as are a lot of the other areas you've mentioned and with a little bit of patience you can find something in your budget.

I'd recommend against LB though.
yeah i'm hoping we can find something in silver lake if possible, and we are getting different views and opinions on LB so we are still researching that one thanks for your thoughts/comments!

Old 09-30-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinC02 View Post
You should check out Culver City or the West Los Angeles area..(possibly around Sawtelle?) maybe even Westwood if you don't mind being near UCLA and all the college kids. $1200-$1300 might work..you just won't be living at the Ritz. It'll be an old place. I definitely recommend westside rentals though..I found an amazing deal on a loft in playa vista. (Kinda wish I hadn't moved from it being in the bay area now with a place half the size and 1.5 times as expensive haha), but it's a very useful tool to use. Craigslist can be really hit or miss. Also, I found the west side pretty dog friendly when i was there..all my friends had dogs..and my place was dog friendly as well. I don't know a lot about Long Beach..but I did like what I saw when I was there..but like another poster has already said..if you're moving to LA..you should move to LA..Long Beach to most parts of LA can be an awful drive a lot of the time..you'll kind of isolate yourself from most of the city. You might want to look into Burbank or other areas of the valley if you don't have luck on the west side. Burbank is a nice town..and close to the hollywood area for entertainment. Moving to CA from most areas often results in making compromises in some way with regards to your living situation.
I am definitely going to look at Culver City and check out westside rentals today in hopes that it will help me in my time frame thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or