Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2011, 09:24 AM

2 posts, read 7,261 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I have some questions about housing in LA. I'm a Dutch female photography student and I'll be studying in LA for 5 months. This August I'll start my fall term at Otis College (Westchester). I have a few questions about housing.

Otis has her own housing facility. If I choose this option I'll be paying $4000 for the fall term. It's not really the costs that bother me, but the fact that the facility closes from December 18th till January 8. I don't have family to return to in LA or the US, so I'll need another place to stay. This is not really an option for me, so I want to live somewhere in the city.
Most preferably I want to live in West Hollywood, it just seems like a nice neighborhood. I have no problems with shared rooms. My budget is max $800 per month. Is this a realistic option or do I have to expect way higher rent?

And second question, if I choose to live in West Hollywood, will it be easy to get to Westchester by public transit or is this also a very optimistic view of mine?

I'll be contacting Otis these days to see whether they have some other options. They do have quite a lot of international students, so I guess they have experience with these kind of questions.
But for now, could someone maybe help me?

Lynn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 09:47 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
$800 is a push, but you should be able to land something. Except West Hollywood would be a bit of a commute hassle. Maybe someone who knows the routes better could help, but I'd look into Venice instead. Great photo opportunities there, though it's an area awfully well photographed already.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:14 PM

2 posts, read 7,261 times
Sorry, I forgot to say that I have $800 available for rent only, not for living
And yeah, Venice is very nice for photos! but I think a bit too expensive for living..

Old 05-16-2011, 01:10 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
I dunno, check it out. For a short term rental you may be able to work something out in Venice. Is it just for the month until the dorms re-open? You don't have to be on the boardwalk, and I don't think WeHo is so much less anyway. (You might also check with your fellow students. They could create a temporary situation for you, and be glad for the extra sublet bucks over the holidays.)

The Expo Line downtown will be running into Culver City on November 15, just to La Cienega. That leaves about a 7 mile bus trip to Otis. But from the Red Line to the Expo Line you're open to a better commute from Hollywood (not WeHo). You can find a studio apartment around $900 there, meaning a roommate situation would be well within your budget there.

Hollywood's not as plush, but I personally have had no problems there. You'll be free to check things out when you arrive. I just don't think the commute from WeHo is great.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:37 PM

672 posts, read 2,175,523 times
West Hollywood to Westchester is a bit awkward if you want to take the bus. It would probably take more than an hour. You could also bicycle, but that would also take a bit more than an hour. Google Maps or metro.net can give you transit information.

It should be possible to share an apartment for $800/mo. You can get an idea of the prices of shared housing on the "Rooms/Shared" section of the Los Angeles Craigslist.

Last edited by Mike121; 05-16-2011 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 10-01-2014, 06:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynndb View Post
Hi!

I have some questions about housing in LA. I'm a Dutch female photography student and I'll be studying in LA for 5 months. This August I'll start my fall term at Otis College (Westchester). I have a few questions about housing.

Otis has her own housing facility. If I choose this option I'll be paying $4000 for the fall term. It's not really the costs that bother me, but the fact that the facility closes from December 18th till January 8. I don't have family to return to in LA or the US, so I'll need another place to stay. This is not really an option for me, so I want to live somewhere in the city.
Most preferably I want to live in West Hollywood, it just seems like a nice neighborhood. I have no problems with shared rooms. My budget is max $800 per month. Is this a realistic option or do I have to expect way higher rent?

And second question, if I choose to live in West Hollywood, will it be easy to get to Westchester by public transit or is this also a very optimistic view of mine?

I'll be contacting Otis these days to see whether they have some other options. They do have quite a lot of international students, so I guess they have experience with these kind of questions.
But for now, could someone maybe help me?

Lynn
We Own 5 bedroom 3Bath family home,Want to rent 2 Rooms upstairs in back of house, A Open Beam Ceiling Private Bedroom OR Bright Open Beam Ceiling Private Studio with each a Private Entrance to connecting Share Full Bathroom. Furnished, with utilities Included, Free Wi-Fi With Steet Parking. Looking For a Respectful Clean Nice Single International Student Female,
Or Professional Or Roommates
No Smoking Or No Drugs of any Kind No Alcohol No Over Night Guest No Parties
Bedroom $650.00 mo +dep + Last mo Studio 12'x20' $850.00 mo +dep +Last mo

Centrally Located Bus Stops on Corner #14 Santa Monica Blue Line to SMC,UCLA,Kaplan,. Same Conner Culver City Bus #2 Line to Fox Hills Mall ( Culver City Transit Center Westfield ) .WHERE you catch #6 to Westchester Opposite Corner Culver City Bus7 Line to Robinson Hub Expo Metro light Rail to USC & Downtown, LA Metro Rail .We are posted on Rooms/Shared" section of the Los Angeles Craigslist listed as in Culver City Photos are Posted, you could also ride Bike to Westchester.We are also Posted with Universal Student Housing 866-900-4874

Dave&Lorena
310-766-4468
[email]davevasquez@verizon.net[/email]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles