U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 02:52 AM

9,715 posts, read 12,965,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Light traffic on Monday?

You're right! So many places to see!!! Thank you!!
I bookmarked this map, and oh man! this is just amazing!
https://www.laconservancy.org/explor...istoric-places

BTW: isn't Magic Castle an upscale club? It says "by invitation only"
"You must be a member of the club or have a guest card from a member in good standing. You must have your guest card with you when you arrive at the Magic Castle."
The World Famous Hollywood Magic Castle
Traffic will be light on Thursday -- Thanksgiving Day. It'll probably be back to the regular crazy by Monday.

The Magic Castle is a private club. You need an invitation to get in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 02:56 AM

Check out the Downtown map here: downtownla.com : Downtown Maps

It's the one we used to get around when we didn't know the area very well and it was a HUGE help!

Old 11-24-2014, 02:57 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,341,908 times
If you are looking for sweeping city views check out Baldwin Hills Scenic Overlook. About 5 miles south of Beverly Hills. While free, they charge to park at top but free at the bottom street. It is a steep hill with steps straight up (popular for step climbers) or a zig-zag dirt trail to the top. I prefer this view over the Kenneth Hahn (park next door) because it is the view is not obstructed by trees or homes. It closes at sunset.

Other views are Getty and the Griffith Observatory. If you go to the Observatory and have time to do a light hike, starting at the back parking lot is a dirt uphill path. You can continue to the top of the hill but the views are great. Bring a flashlight to see the ground if you go at night or else youll end up slipping down the ravine if you miss a step. Quite safe because there are many people who work out. By the way, the Griffith is going to be completely packed all Thanksgiving weekend, much like every normal weekend especially the hours before sunset. You see people drive there and park a mile or more away then hike uphill. The are going to have a special DASH shuttles for parking near the Greek Theater and another near Metro subway station. Official Site: Griffith Observatory Los Angeles, CA

Old 11-24-2014, 03:54 AM

33,698 posts, read 51,979,871 times
Due to time limit, I can visit only one Farmers Market. Which is more interesting: the Grand Central Market or the Historic Market on 3rd Street?

Old 11-24-2014, 08:22 AM

38,803 posts, read 19,600,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Due to time limit, I can visit only one Farmers Market. Which is more interesting: the Grand Central Market or the Historic Market on 3rd Street?
Hi Elnina - three things:

1. Definitely do the 3rd and Fairfax farmers market if you only have time for one ... Much nicer than the Grand Central market downtown.

2. Downtown LA will be a virtual ghost town on Thanksgiving day and not much will be open. Save downtown for a business day as not much is even open on the weekend either - unfortunately, it can get rather sketchy in downtown after hours and during holidays. LA Live might be the exception but not much to see there IMO.

3. Download the LA Metro app as it gives you pretty accurate real time arrival information (I use this app all the time and it's reliable). There is also a trip planet feature that comes in handy as well. Metro is the transit agency for LA county and their website is...
LA Metro Home | Getting Started

Enjoy your trip!

Old 11-24-2014, 01:57 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,334,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Traffic will be light on Thursday -- Thanksgiving Day. It'll probably be back to the regular crazy by Monday.

The Magic Castle is a private club. You need an invitation to get in there.
Not completely true, you can pay to get in, but it is costly.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:56 PM

10,087 posts, read 12,597,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Hi Elnina - three things:

1. Definitely do the 3rd and Fairfax farmers market if you only have time for one ... Much nicer than the Grand Central market downtown.

2. Downtown LA will be a virtual ghost town on Thanksgiving day and not much will be open. Save downtown for a business day as not much is even open on the weekend either - unfortunately, it can get rather sketchy in downtown after hours and during holidays. LA Live might be the exception but not much to see there IMO.

3. Download the LA Metro app as it gives you pretty accurate real time arrival information (I use this app all the time and it's reliable). There is also a trip planet feature that comes in handy as well. Metro is the transit agency for LA county and their website is...
LA Metro Home | Getting Started

Enjoy your trip!
Chatteress, did you know that a lot of new investment has been put into Grand Central Marketplace and it's actually pretty nice now? Perhaps still not as nice as the Fairfax Farmers Market but it's pretty nice now too. No matter how nice / trendy it gets, it will never offer the range of options the old Farmers Market has.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:18 PM

Elnina,

I don't consider either farmer's market (Fairfax or Grand Central) to be a "real" farmer's market -- you know -- where the farmers come to sell their produce, etc. Those are listed here: California Certified Farmers Markets and here: The Ultimate L.A. Farmers Market Guide + Google Map! | Squid Ink | Los Angeles | Los Angeles News and Events | LA Weekly

They are all different days, hours and locations.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:05 AM

869 posts, read 597,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
Not completely true, you can pay to get in, but it is costly.
I didn't know you can pay to get in. I've only been there once, by invitation. Elnina, if they are open Thanksgiving week, I highly recommend it. IIRC, dinner jacket, dress pants and shoes are a must. Pricey dinner and cocktails but worth the experience. The Magic Castle makes Magic Island (in Houston) look like a kiddie show.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:18 AM

5,917 posts, read 4,077,209 times
I've been to the Castle a half dozen times (totally awesome) but IIRC you still need an "invite" to get into the Castle, and the door charge is only waived if the member is present that night.

Dinner is optional I believe but is the only way you're guaranteed seating to one of the 'big room' shows.

IMHO the food there, though improved from a few years ago, is overpriced and mediocre but more importantly it takes too much time away from seeing multiple shows, big and small.

Anyway...

Elnina: if you have an innocent, nostalgic child-like side to indulge I highly recommend getting to Bob Baker's Marionette show near downtown (right now they're doing the Nutcracker). Bob's in hospice and the future of his amazing little theater is uncertain. Then you can go to Langer's for french dip!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or