U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 11:07 AM

3,439 posts, read 2,139,945 times

Advertisements

We've already had it awhile in Los Angeles. Stores are allowed to charge 10 cents for a paper or reusable plastic bag, their making a tremendous extra profit from this as I see people paying for bags all the time and they haven't passed the benefit to them on to the customer at all.
Its a nuisance as I forget my bags and I refuse to pay the 10 cents a bag.
Government shouldn't pass laws banning stuff they don't like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 11:35 AM

401 posts, read 604,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I forget my bags, alot too, and kick myself to remember next time. I really should just remember. I think it will take time to get in the habit. I mean, I don't forget to put on my underwear each day (well, sometimes).

In an ideal world, people would reuse or recycle their plastic bags instead of tossing them on the ground or in the trash. Problem is, only 5% of the bags get recycled and it's obvious a crapload of them end up as urban tumble weeds. Hence, the ban.

I'm all for it.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:42 AM

5,165 posts, read 2,393,848 times
I remember being in Europe in the early 80's & people took their own bags for food shopping. I had to stuff all my food in my backpack the first time but caught on quickly to a great idea.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:44 AM

5,660 posts, read 6,578,639 times
California politics are becoming loonier.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:06 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,417,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
We've already had it awhile in Los Angeles. Stores are allowed to charge 10 cents for a paper or reusable plastic bag, their making a tremendous extra profit from this as I see people paying for bags all the time and they haven't passed the benefit to them on to the customer at all.

you have to pay for bags in Europe. When I was in France and in Ireland, I foolishly waited for them to bag my stuff, only to realize that I had to bring my own bag or buy a bag. I just stuff the things in my back pack.

I understand why they are doing this and I hope other states adopt this measure.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:07 PM

5,793 posts, read 10,627,597 times
if people weren't such slobs; if people were responsible for their own actions, there would be no need for nanny state regulations.

But when you have a state of almost 40 million people, even the portion of the population that are self absorbed, entitled jackanapes make a big dent in the overall quality of life.

Unfortunately, we have a bunch of teabagging libertarians who see bag bans as an infringement on their personal rights and turn a minor "inconvenience" into a political wedge issue.

I personally have no problem with the bag law. (but i'm not a fan of being able to buy your way out for a dime). One thing I notices as somebody who spends a lot of time on the water and the beach, is that our water ways and shorelines are much cleaner since the ban went into effect.

I always carry bags in my car. If I don't bring enough bags into the store, I leave my groceries in the cart and carry and simply transfer my purchases when I get to my car.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:06 PM

10,087 posts, read 12,567,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
you have to pay for bags in Europe. When I was in France and in Ireland, I foolishly waited for them to bag my stuff, only to realize that I had to bring my own bag or buy a bag. I just stuff the things in my back pack.

I understand why they are doing this and I hope other states adopt this measure.
Haha my wife did this too as an exchange student in France.

Since I walk to the grocery store most of the time, I am in the habit of bringing bags because the paper handles are not sturdy enough for a 10 minute walk back home.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:09 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,756,494 times
This is awesome. Hopefully more states will follow through with similar policies. It's really not that much of an inconvenience. Most of us drive cars here, anyways...just keep a few extra in there.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:12 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,080,491 times
Fuhrer Brown.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:42 PM

752 posts, read 595,321 times
I don't like the bag ban. Regular plastic bags are convenient for me and I don't want to have to go to the trouble of bringing my own bags.

But that's purely based on my own likes and dislikes. I won't argue with the people who mentioned personal responsibility and culture, I think those are good, rational points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or