U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 08:18 PM

105 posts, read 87,084 times

Advertisements

I love the fastrak lane, I love that it gives me an option to pay for using it, vs before I can only sit outside!!
It saved me at least 1/2 hour when I have to go to So Pas after work from Long Beach!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 10:53 AM

10,087 posts, read 12,567,366 times
Because of induced demand.

Pretty sure the money just goes back into the highway and transit funds.

Yes it is annoying to buy a Fastpass but aren't they free now? BTW toll roads are nothing unique to LA. I remember the 'Pike' in Boston had a toll just to get o. Imagine the revolts we would see if that were to be proposed on the 101!

Old 11-18-2014, 11:41 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,329,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Because of induced demand.

Pretty sure the money just goes back into the highway and transit funds.

Yes it is annoying to buy a Fastpass but aren't they free now? BTW toll roads are nothing unique to LA. I remember the 'Pike' in Boston had a toll just to get o. Imagine the revolts we would see if that were to be proposed on the 101!
I would only revolt because it would mean more people on the Cahuenga street pass or on Outpost to Mulholland.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:51 PM

1,210 posts, read 850,893 times
I think the price exceeds the demand.

If the fastrack lane were 50 cents instead of $3, would there be greater utilization? Of course.

Should the people sue the transit authority for removing 30% of the freeway's bandwidth? Of course.

I think a couple Stealth bombers should fly in, and carpetbomb a clear channel a thousand yards wide all the way to the sea. Then build a new freeway 15 lanes wide in both directions.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:13 PM

894 posts, read 473,905 times
You know, I have to say....as bad as the traffic is here, I almost feel as if it's a badge of honor, lol. Gotta love LA.

I've gotten used to it. Whenever people come visit I explain to them how you live your life here avoiding rush hour (if you can), lol.

And, for example, I've told friends who are coming in for a visit, unless you can get into Burbank (anytime) or LAX after like 10PM, you're taking the train to Hollywood and Highland and I'll meet you there. (We live close by west of LaBrea.)

Old 11-18-2014, 05:20 PM

105 posts, read 87,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
I think the price exceeds the demand.

If the fastrack lane were 50 cents instead of $3, would there be greater utilization? Of course.

Should the people sue the transit authority for removing 30% of the freeway's bandwidth? Of course.

I think a couple Stealth bombers should fly in, and carpetbomb a clear channel a thousand yards wide all the way to the sea. Then build a new freeway 15 lanes wide in both directions.

I don't agree.
If it was only $0.50, then majority of the single driver will be willing to pay that amount and still jammed up the lane, after all, it is still part of a HOV lane.
The most I paid was $1.60 one way. you just need to know where to enter and when to exit....

Majority of it are still HOV/ Fastrak, meaning that if you have more than 2 people in your car, it's free, as long as you have a fastrak.
The HOV only lane on 110 was also 2 lanes before they switched it to HOV/ Fastrak.
So technically, if you use HOV lane before, the only difference is that you have to get a Fastrak in order to use the lane, we brought one for over a year thru AAA for under $40 (I think, can't remember) and still yet have to pay any additional.
I think the only difference is that it gives single driver an option to go into the carpool lane.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:01 PM

11,896 posts, read 14,364,183 times
Seems to me that if they just added lanes, all taxpayers would end up paying, even those who never use it during peak periods. Make those who actually need it pay.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:53 PM

670 posts, read 910,370 times
The problem for Los Angeles county is that the demonstration project of the 110 Harbor Fwy is providing over $1 million per year to LACMTA, who wholly own and run the toll lane. Everyone was quite shocked at all the huge demand and all the dough rolling in to MTA. Let's not forget that because if its success, the 10 El Monte Busway HOV is now also a Toll way, too. So, we already have TWO tollways. I don't know the figures of the 10, or perhaps the figure I had read was for both tolls ways, but regardless, serious mullah coming to the MTA with toll lanes.

Now, ironically, even the liberal politicians in LA who never liked toll lanes want even MORE such lanes in LA County. This is NOT the old FasTrak model that was operated on the eastern portion of the 91 in OC and Riverside counties or some other toll roads in OC where a private company runs and reaps all the money. In LA County it is the LACMTA all the way who own, maintain, and keep all the money. The MTA LOVES the mucho MONEY rolling in from the 110 and 10. This is a really hard snowball to stop when even the traditional critics and liberals in LA politics have now "seen the light" because it can truly fund transit projects for those who can't even afford a car, let alone a toll lane. It could even be argued that at least some of this revenue from the toll lanes are partially funding construction or regular service of Metro Rail and bus lines and even subsidizing fares for MTA services, which are still the lowest in the nation. I don't think there is an MTA board member who opposes toll lanes anymore, at least in CERTAIN places. Even "stay as long as you want on the lawns of City Hall, Occupy LA protesters," Mayor Garcetti likes toll lanes now, too.

Part of the reason some of the most liberal and FORMER foes of toll lanes have changed their toon may be because they view those who have more are paying the toll and that revenue goes to MTA services for the transit dependent, the traditional constituency of liberal Democrats representing some of the poorest neighbor hoods who desperately need more rail and bus and keep all the fares as low as possible. Who would have thought LA County so lovingly embracing HOV Toll Lanes, but if it is the model of revenue going back to a public transit agency (MTA), then I guess it is "their kind of" tollway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or