U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 07:55 PM

894 posts, read 473,905 times

Advertisements

If they removed them there would be room for 3 more lanes. The tolls they charge are outrageous and said lanes are never really busy (that I've seen). Wouldn't it be better if there were just more lanes for everyone? I imagine it would ease congestion considerably on the 110.

Thoughts, anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 08:41 PM

10,325 posts, read 6,375,988 times
My thought is "they" should remove ALL lanes from ALL roads. Perhaps then we can get down to some peace and quiet with a terrifically reduced population?

Old 10-05-2014, 09:31 AM

4,350 posts, read 4,931,746 times
You are right it is about the money. The carpool lanes were out of compliance of federal requirements and the state was going to lose funding. You are right, they aren't busy but that is the point and they will keep raising prices to ensure that. The 110 is suppose to be "test" but I don't know who evaluates it, probably the people who get their pockets lined with the toll and how do you think they feel?

Think of a funnel or hourglass,making the top wider doesn't speed things up. There are choke points, those points are usually the exits, they need to improve the exits and transitions to reduce traffic. The 110s south of downtown is a straight road. There is a part the drops then goes up hill, speeds will drop from 65 to 55 then increase back to 65 because of the CHANGE in the road. I say change because the 110 north of DTLA is a different animal. People just can't drive. The curves and lack of a shoulder weeds out bad drivers on 110 of north of DTLA despite the change in elevation and curves, it is still fast although scary as hell.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
My thought is "they" should remove ALL lanes from ALL roads. Perhaps then we can get down to some peace and quiet with a terrifically reduced population?
Make the 110 a seawater channel

Old 10-05-2014, 10:43 AM

1,856 posts, read 2,038,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
you included?

Old 10-05-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Make the 110 a seawater channel
Now you're talkin

Old 10-05-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
you included?
Never. I'm the only sane person left here to hold the fort.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:45 PM

894 posts, read 473,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
You are right it is about the money. The carpool lanes were out of compliance of federal requirements and the state was going to lose funding. You are right, they aren't busy but that is the point and they will keep raising prices to ensure that. The 110 is suppose to be "test" but I don't know who evaluates it, probably the people who get their pockets lined with the toll and how do you think they feel?

Think of a funnel or hourglass,making the top wider doesn't speed things up. There are choke points, those points are usually the exits, they need to improve the exits and transitions to reduce traffic. The 110s south of downtown is a straight road. There is a part the drops then goes up hill, speeds will drop from 65 to 55 then increase back to 65 because of the CHANGE in the road. I say change because the 110 north of DTLA is a different animal. People just can't drive. The curves and lack of a shoulder weeds out bad drivers on 110 of north of DTLA despite the change in elevation and curves, it is still fast although scary as hell.

This is true. I feel the 110 is usually okay up until a few miles before downtown. Then you have everyone from the 10 merging on, which makes it worse. The fact that the freeway is so narrow right through the heart of DTLA is what screws everything up (I think it's 2 lanes thru traffic for 110N and then 2 lanes to merge onto the 101) and is just ridiculous.

I know these are old freeways, but I can't believe they didn't think ahead.

My old hometown of Knoxville TN (190k city, 700k metro) has wider freeways than Los Angeles does, lol. That's just crazyl If only ALL of LA had 7-8 lane wide freeways on each side it would be much less awful.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:00 PM

Im pretty sure the 110 is three lanes all the way into Pasadena.

Irvine in OC has wide freeways, smaller population than LA and still have bad traffic at rush hour.

The key is to build office space with enough housing. My idea is to build 2 beds for every 1 office seat. For every cubicle built, build 2 studios, or 1 two bedroom. Then build good school in the area so parents don't have to live in the burbs.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:00 PM
ka8

50 posts, read 70,276 times
I love expresslane! I use it 2-3 times a week. Gotta pay to play I guess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or