U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 04:25 AM

555 posts, read 571,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by palisades310 View Post
People are in a state of disbelief when you tell them you're from LA? Dude that doesn't make any sense, who are you hanging out with? Don't you have any childhood friends? There are natives in every single part of town, that isn't surprising at all.
That disbelief does exist. Sure, I hang out with childhood friends. But your childhood friends and other natives aren't necessarily in your particular workplace or in other places where you spend your day. In other words, there are plenty of native LA people here, but their distribution may not be even across the entire swath of LA. That's why you will get clusters of people who have never knowingly interacted with a native LA person in any meaningful or prolonged way, and who will react with disbelief when they find out you were born and raised here. It's actually kind of funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 02:19 PM

57 posts, read 51,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydlee View Post
That disbelief does exist. Sure, I hang out with childhood friends. But your childhood friends and other natives aren't necessarily in your particular workplace or in other places where you spend your day. In other words, there are plenty of native LA people here, but their distribution may not be even across the entire swath of LA. That's why you will get clusters of people who have never knowingly interacted with a native LA person in any meaningful or prolonged way, and who will react with disbelief when they find out you were born and raised here. It's actually kind of funny.
I grew up on the west side. In 25 years I have never experienced that in my life.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:49 PM

46 posts, read 48,934 times
Quote:
I grew up on the west side. In 25 years I have never experienced that in my life.
I'm a transplant from Arizona and in the time I've lived here every good friend I've made either grew up here or in OC or San Diego.

Maybe it just depends on where you spend time and who with...

Old 10-09-2014, 11:54 AM

555 posts, read 571,405 times
Quote:
That's wonderful. I'm happy for you, I really am.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:08 PM

289 posts, read 371,027 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure you are one of the rare ones. But talking to other natives, they usually get the same questions.

And to factor this in to the equation, many natives have left the area 20-30 years ago and are replaced by immigrants and transplants, mostly from the Midwest and Northeast.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:07 AM

1,576 posts, read 2,401,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydlee View Post
Especially in the "hip" parts of LA like Hollywood, Venice, Silverlake, and Echo Park. Where a large number of people come from ither parts of the US. Im usually the first native alot of people meet out here.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:35 AM

148 posts, read 177,046 times
Los Angeles is a city that I feel I can live in forever...

...for two weeks to a month at a time. Same with NYC. At some point, the scale of it all becomes a turnoff, and I must retreat back to my hometown of 45k people. I always return, because there is just sooooo much to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or