Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 03:01 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
One of my hidden gems about living in LA is the natives. They truly value non-judgements of others.
Have you read any posts here from natives? They judge outsiders like it's their job. Seriously, read any "moving to CALI" post and you'll see some natives get nasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 03:34 PM

46 posts, read 65,150 times
I moved to the LA area March 2013 and I'm absolutely in love with it. It seems like there is just so much here: mountains, beaches, urban areas, suburban areas... everything. Locals complain about the weather, but I think it's always perfect (originally from Arizona where it gets actually cold and actually hot ) traffic can be bad but as previous posters have said - what do you expect? Just don't think you can live 20 miles from work and have a tolerable commute, personally I live two miles from my office, some days I even walk or ride my bike just to avoid parking!

I think the biggest negative is just that the cost of living (especially rent) is way out of whack with wages. So if that's not something you're concerned with I say go for it.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:53 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,609 times
I would love to live in your fair city. Visited several times, and have a number of great contacts there. Yes, i've sat in some traffic, and even been the victim of a monetary crime, while in the area. But I was stupid, and I have learned from it. It was mostly my fault.

the biggest issue I have is when people talk about just what toomanymiles mentioned: rent and wages out of whack. Why does it cost 50% of most people's take home to keep a roof over your head? Why haven't wages kept up with this? Seems like the top .01% have figured out how to keep that for themselves.

And for that reason, and it's a big one, I'll likely never move to your beautiful, wondrous city. But I'll keep wearing my Dodgers cap, win or lose, and keep on dreaming!

Old 10-06-2014, 04:25 PM

31 posts, read 36,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
Have you read any posts here from natives? They judge outsiders like it's their job. Seriously, read any "moving to CALI" post and you'll see some natives get nasty.
I don't think that's the judgement he/she may be referring to.

In many towns in America you get judged for just being different or unusual.... in big towns like Los Angeles, it's almost the norm, and the attitudes are more progressive. There will always be judgement, but based on what I've seen thrown around, the judgement is of a much different nature than is found in other towns.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:17 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
Quote:
You mean a thread asking natives specifically of their impressions of grown adults who insist on referring to their home state from something they gleaned from "Yo MTV Raps"? The temerity.

Please note: this horse was resurrected by one presumably defending the use of that particular term.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:08 PM

311 posts, read 492,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydlee View Post
"
Oh -- and it would be great if transplants to LA didn't go around telling everyone that "no one's from LA." This native has been told this so many times it's not funny.
Here here. I can tell you that when I tell people I was born and raised here in L.A., for the most part, they are in a state of disbelief.

(I usually recieve the question like "Oh, You're from California?" or "Which part of L.A. did I grow up in?")

Old 10-06-2014, 09:19 PM

311 posts, read 492,856 times
Quote:
Oh, really? As an native myself, I don't see other natives judge transplants. However, many natives are not pleased about how the media has taken some parts of the city and take it out of porportion.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:55 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,799,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreau36 View Post
Here here. I can tell you that when I tell people I was born and raised here in L.A., for the most part, they are in a state of disbelief.

(I usually recieve the question like "Oh, You're from California?" or "Which part of L.A. did I grow up in?")
Q:Where did you say you were from?
A:Venice
Q:I mean where did you grow up
A:Mar Vista
Q:Where's that?
A: Three blocks that way.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:31 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,559 times
Quote:
Well online folks are not real life folks. People are pretty brave, opinionated, and bold online. Can you imagine if everyday people you met were that abrasive and rude? No way. And a lot of that judgy rudeness is from people who think this whole place is going to hell anyways and have moved to Arizona or Texas. Online posters don't pop up in my day to day here.

But maybe that's just my experience and not yours. The natives I've met who are judgy towards outsiders are generally being that way to people who move here insisting that LA be like they expected or that LA should be more like where they came from. But again, my experience may not be yours.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:44 PM

57 posts, read 78,154 times
People are in a state of disbelief when you tell them you're from LA? Dude that doesn't make any sense, who are you hanging out with? Don't you have any childhood friends? There are natives in every single part of town, that isn't surprising at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles