U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2014, 12:05 PM

74 posts, read 112,331 times

Advertisements

I will be flying in to LAX and staying on West Century Blvd in a week or so on a Thursday night for a couple days. So getting into LAX at 9 pm ( I will have no car) - what are my options for dinner? What is at the airport (for fast food, or reasonably priced slightly better food fare). At that point in time do you recommend getting dinner while I am still at the airport? What is available that late within walking distance (one mile) of the hotels on Century?

And in general - during my stay....what food options are available within walking distance (one mile) of the hotels on Century?

Also within walking distance - any convenience stores? Good stand alone bakeries?

Thanks so much for your help !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 12:40 PM

822 posts, read 920,440 times
They got plenty of places to eat on Century. I think there is a Denny's and all the fast food brands are on the strip. There are some better hotels that probably have restaurants inside. Worse to worse you can eat at the convenience mart at a gas station which there are plenty off on the strip. Most Angleno's don't hang out on Century Blvd, but I see people who are obviously tourists on the street. Just my recollection from having attended some conference there years ago and from driving to/from LAX.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:52 PM

4,350 posts, read 4,931,746 times
The food at LAX varies from terminal to terminal. If you eat in the terminal your checked luggage will be left spinning around the baggage claim area. I'd say you have about 10 minutes before your bag gets to the carousel . There is a mix from fast food to bar food and drinks depending the terminal. It will be a little pricier but you don't have a choice once you are inside.

W Century is a long street, there is an In n Out which google says is just under a mile from the Crowne Plaza. I've seen 4 food trucks parked behind the Crown Plaza Hotel just for the lunch hour.

The grocery stores are just over a mile away, you can walk to Westchester but not to El Segundo. There is a lot within a short uber ride. Is your hotel going to shuttle you from the airport?

Old 10-06-2014, 05:10 PM

1,573 posts, read 1,120,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell2323 View Post
I will be flying in to LAX and staying on West Century Blvd in a week or so on a Thursday night for a couple days. So getting into LAX at 9 pm ( I will have no car) - what are my options for dinner? What is at the airport (for fast food, or reasonably priced slightly better food fare). At that point in time do you recommend getting dinner while I am still at the airport? What is available that late within walking distance (one mile) of the hotels on Century?

And in general - during my stay....what food options are available within walking distance (one mile) of the hotels on Century?

Also within walking distance - any convenience stores? Good stand alone bakeries?

Thanks so much for your help !!!
Century Blvd is a wasteland.

What hotel are you at?

There is an In 'n Out at the entrance of the airport, other than that the best bet will be room service at your hotel (assuming it is one of the bigger ones) or the in-house restaurants.

Check the Ocean Express Trolley for the other nights. It will take you into Manhattan Beach. If the hours are not convenient, cab or Uber to Manhattan Beach to the Pier area.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:10 PM

11,411 posts, read 13,955,986 times
Walking east on Century can get dicey, fast. Go south on Sepulveda to El Segundo (safe) or even further south to Manhattan Beach. Lots of options in Manhattan Beach, on Sepulveda Blvd. If you have time, head west towards the beach.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Walking east on Century can get dicey, fast. Go south on Sepulveda to El Segundo (safe) or even further south to Manhattan Beach. Lots of options in Manhattan Beach, on Sepulveda Blvd. If you have time, head west towards the beach.
Yes to chime in if you walk east you will be walking toward Inglewood, the 'hood. You will see a lot of cheap motels, boarded up businesses, etc. Don't venture east of the 405. There is a gas station at that corner with a mini-mart. That should be as far east as you want to go. I've seen Europeans and Asian tourists, that what they look like, rolling their luggage beyond that and cringe on what might happen to them. I think most people in El A know that's the 'hood. Worse to worse just call Dominos.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:51 AM

thelopez2

Thanks for the great info - very useful. What I will have with me is carryon, so I won't have to get anything in baggage claim. Yeah I should have a shuttle from Marriott - I hear that service may occasionally be questionable (or not). Great to hear about In n Out - I was in one in Vegas. The midwest doesn't have these although there are similar competitors in my home area which are awesome. The Mariott has a steakhouse inside I believe that could be still open, but I don't want to pay those prices.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:56 AM

Thanks for the info! I have yet to use Uber. I have heard good reviews and bad on Uber service in midwestern cities. What is the reputation in LA and near LAX?

Old 10-07-2014, 08:28 AM

RandysDonuts.com, BIG DONUT LAX, ron & larry "world's BEST donuts"

Here's your bakery. This place is iconic, though I've never been there. If you walk there just remember you are in the 'hood. What does that mean? You could get mugged, you could be mistaken for being a gang member and shot, you could be harassed based on your race and/or looking vulnerable and either real or perceived looking like a weak easy victim, etc.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:47 PM

1,573 posts, read 1,120,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell2323 View Post
thelopez2

Thanks for the great info - very useful. What I will have with me is carryon, so I won't have to get anything in baggage claim. Yeah I should have a shuttle from Marriott - I hear that service may occasionally be questionable (or not). Great to hear about In n Out - I was in one in Vegas. The midwest doesn't have these although there are similar competitors in my home area which are awesome. The Mariott has a steakhouse inside I believe that could be still open, but I don't want to pay those prices.
If you mean the LAX Marriott, it has Champions Sports Bar in and Champions should still be open and it is a decent place. The Marriott is one of the places at LAX I stay the night before flights if I have a very early AM flight or if I get in from a trip very late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or