U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2014, 09:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,593 times

Advertisements

Hey folks, I need help! I'm moving to LA and need some local wisdom on commute times between Los Feliz and Mid-City West. I love LA. Always wanted to live there, having spent many long trips there over the past few years, and now I'm going to. I've been offered a job at CBS, in CBS Television City in Mid-City West.

My girlfriend and I will be moving from Brooklyn (only lived here for a year, we lived in Chicago for many years before this). We've made a few scouting trips, and here's the thing... we were not so in love with the west side. She likes it a lot less than I do.

The one place we really both fell in love with was Los Feliz, and we really loved it. We can afford to live there but my concern is the commute.

Google Maps estimates it's 25 minutes but when I Google it I see people saying it takes an hour and a half (!) to commute from Silver Lake to Beverly Hills, which doesn't seem to my outsider's eyes like that different a route? But I can't find any discussions on Los Feliz to Mid-City West or West Hollywood.

I can deal with 35-40 minutes and recognize that some days there's an accident and it turns into a mess, but more than that on a consistent basis, and we'll have to consider another neighborhood. But my girlfriend really only likes Los Feliz and Silver Lake so I don't know what to do...

Any advice on either commute times, or on west side neighborhoods that are less outdoor mall and more local microbrewery + farmer's markets would be really appreciated. Honestly I'm cool with the yuppie vibe, but I want to make sure she's happy.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 10:42 PM

1,015 posts, read 737,884 times
Probably ~35-40 min in the AM, 50 in the evening if you know the best routes. 10 mins more if you are taking major blvds. Ask your co-workers for the best streets. If you have a flexible schedule it can probably be made in about 25-30 min during off times.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:07 PM

4,350 posts, read 4,929,984 times
1.5 Hours on a fixie single speed bike.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:13 PM

29,580 posts, read 31,900,225 times
Just do it. Many people do. If it's too much you can move again later but those areas seem to have what you want.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:33 AM

41 posts, read 33,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheVioletHour View Post
Hey folks, I need help! I'm moving to LA and need some local wisdom on commute times between Los Feliz and Mid-City West. I love LA. Always wanted to live there, having spent many long trips there over the past few years, and now I'm going to. I've been offered a job at CBS, in CBS Television City in Mid-City West.

My girlfriend and I will be moving from Brooklyn (only lived here for a year, we lived in Chicago for many years before this). We've made a few scouting trips, and here's the thing... we were not so in love with the west side. She likes it a lot less than I do.

The one place we really both fell in love with was Los Feliz, and we really loved it. We can afford to live there but my concern is the commute.

Google Maps estimates it's 25 minutes but when I Google it I see people saying it takes an hour and a half (!) to commute from Silver Lake to Beverly Hills, which doesn't seem to my outsider's eyes like that different a route? But I can't find any discussions on Los Feliz to Mid-City West or West Hollywood.

I can deal with 35-40 minutes and recognize that some days there's an accident and it turns into a mess, but more than that on a consistent basis, and we'll have to consider another neighborhood. But my girlfriend really only likes Los Feliz and Silver Lake so I don't know what to do...

Any advice on either commute times, or on west side neighborhoods that are less outdoor mall and more local microbrewery + farmer's markets would be really appreciated. Honestly I'm cool with the yuppie vibe, but I want to make sure she's happy.

Thanks!
You'd have about a 25 minute commute if you lived a mile or two from the studio.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:10 AM

672 posts, read 1,788,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
1.5 Hours on a fixie single speed bike.
I realize this is a joke, but, the truth is that it is 35 minutes on a bike going to CBS, and 45 minutes going back because of the hill.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:09 PM

4,350 posts, read 4,929,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
I realize this is a joke, but, the truth is that it is 35 minutes on a bike going to CBS, and 45 minutes going back because of the hill.
Yes it was a joke. I was going north on La Brea once and the cyclist kept up with rush hour traffic from Jefferson to Santa Monica, and that is a little bit of a grade I was impressed. I can see at some points a bike being faster than a car.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:42 AM

670 posts, read 909,707 times
Let's clear this up now: Mid-City is SOUTH of CBS TVC, and is adjacnet to the 10 very close to Culver City and adjacent to Cheviot Hills. I've seen this error of referring to "Mid-city" on a few other threads. CBS-TVC is located in the Fairfax District. This is an ever greater error since Mid-City is SOUTH, not west of Los Feliz district, further making the "Mid-city WEST" usage not making any sense.

Now, Mid-Town is north of Wilshire Center/Korea Town (formerly "Mid-Wilshire"), south of Los Feliz District, East of Windsor Square/Hancock Park, West of Siverlake.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:10 PM

2 posts, read 1,593 times
Thanks for the responses all, particularly Texa, who gave me a direct answer!

Obviously, as an outsider, I was not clear on the name of the neighborhood where CBS resides and I apologize for that confusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or