U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 08:06 AM

4,350 posts, read 4,931,746 times

Advertisements

Another thing to consider is parking at his location of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 08:09 AM

22,947 posts, read 21,473,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Another thing to consider is parking at his location of work.
It's a production studio so I'm guessing they'll have parking?

Old 10-08-2014, 08:44 AM

5,619 posts, read 13,301,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Knowing the studios, they'll have a lot and make it him pay for it. They don't care about their interns much...at all.

In that case, I would look for subletting of UCLA residences on craigslist or any other sites. Those will be cheapest I bet and not a horrible commute (by LA standards).

Old 10-22-2014, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 608 times
Default Try airbnb..it's great and cheap

People are thoroughly vetted. If he's lucky, he'll get a home with kitchen access, yard, and a lovely host.
I've used it and it was fantastic. There's a good one listed under "Hollywood Beach Down the Street". I wish your son well!

Andy

Quote:
Good morning all,
The time has finally come for my son to fulfill the last requirement needed for graduation which is an internship.
He was offered one in West Hollywood so now it's time to figure out where he's going to live when the time comes.
He has a reliable fuel efficient car but as is the case with many young people starting out doesn't have a ton of $$$ to pay for rent.

Suggestions on safe/safer,fairly inexpensive areas he/we should look into? Anyone else run into this situation?
I'd love to hear what y'all did.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:17 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,329,232 times
Quote:
Don't guess, West Hollywood has many parking restrictions. There are a couple of public parking lots, but they get pricey fast. Especially now that the city hall parking lot is under construction, much of the parking is being diverted elsewhere. Most of the streets in West Hollywood are permit only. There are a few streets south of SMB that allow free parking all day except for 2 hour street cleaning in the morning. I'd do a little research on where the building is. If it is in West Hollywood proper, chances are, he can apply for a commercial parking permit supplied to the company he's working for by the city. Hopefully they have an unrestricted lot, but that is up in the air.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:49 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,362,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
Don't guess, West Hollywood has many parking restrictions. There are a couple of public parking lots, but they get pricey fast. Especially now that the city hall parking lot is under construction, much of the parking is being diverted elsewhere. Most of the streets in West Hollywood are permit only. There are a few streets south of SMB that allow free parking all day except for 2 hour street cleaning in the morning. I'd do a little research on where the building is. If it is in West Hollywood proper, chances are, he can apply for a commercial parking permit supplied to the company he's working for by the city. Hopefully they have an unrestricted lot, but that is up in the air.
Not quite. Most of West Hollywood lets anyone park during the day, 7 am to 7 pm. Even the coveted 5 zone near all the SM Blvd bars and Sunset Strip. I think only 3 and 2 (and maybe 4) don't allow any non-permit parking.

Most people who work in West Hollywood manage to park in the residential zones during normal work hours. I speak from experience, both as someone who has had to park in a different zone for work, and dealing wtih tons of workers in my current district who take up all the daytime spaces.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:13 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,329,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Not quite. Most of West Hollywood lets anyone park during the day, 7 am to 7 pm. Even the coveted 5 zone near all the SM Blvd bars and Sunset Strip. I think only 3 and 2 (and maybe 4) don't allow any non-permit parking.

Most people who work in West Hollywood manage to park in the residential zones during normal work hours. I speak from experience, both as someone who has had to park in a different zone for work, and dealing wtih tons of workers in my current district who take up all the daytime spaces.
The proper way to park commercially in Weho is to obtain a permit and park in zones 1 - 3, those are the only zones cleared for commercial use by City Hall. Your use of "most people" is one of the reasons why parking in this city is terrible in the first place. "Most people" are doing it wrong. Sorry 'bout it. I was informing the OP on the correct way for his son to go about parking in the event his company doesn't have a private lot. Nothing more to read into.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:21 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,362,844 times
How is it wrong? it's legal for ANYONE to park in most of Weho from 7 am to 7 pm. You may think it's ethically or morally wrong because it takes up spaces of actual residents, but it's totally legal and everyone does it. So if OP's son has an office pretty much anywhere in weho, minus maybe the hills above sunset, he can find easy daytime parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or