U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 11:43 AM

4 posts, read 4,610 times

Advertisements

Hey all. I got a new job in Calabasas and will be making the move from Chicago shortly. I was wondering what neighborhoods you'd recommend for a single guy? I'll be making 65 - 68k

From quick research and friend recommendations, I was thinking Santa Monica, Silver Lake, or Burbank. Commutes on all those look like they'd be about 45 minutes (according to the internet at least) which is doable, if that includes traffic. (Any insight on this?)

I'm not too into drinking and clubbing, but I get that those types of environments might be where I'll meet people. I'm a gym rat and super into health, so I'll be lifting weights or hitting cardio frequently. Don't have a car, but I get that if I'm living in LA, I'll need to buy one, so that's expected.

Also, I have a (small) dog.

Any advice from natives would be great! I like to stay in, but meeting people will be critical, at the same time I don't want to meet people who's only interest is binge drinking and partying. A nice spot with restaurants and good gym options is key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 11:57 AM

5,917 posts, read 4,060,433 times
Gyms of all sorts are pretty much everywhere so you're covered with that.

Some of the options you listed will have far more than a 45 minute commute. I'd suggest adding Studio City/Sherman Oaks to your list.

If you prefer an even better commute, you could add Woodland Hills to the mix, although that's a more family oriented area but is starting to get more single life amenities.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:47 PM

822 posts, read 921,403 times
If you want to save some money, I suggest Reseda.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:49 PM

8,273 posts, read 10,521,331 times
You might like this place. In Calabasas, 2 fitness centers, pool, pet-friendly, and many other amenities. Drive to the East Valley or the Westside on your days off. Why commute to work if you don't have to?

Calabasas Apartments in Los Angeles County | Avalon Calabasas - Avalon Bay

Old 10-08-2014, 03:08 PM

7,091 posts, read 18,425,652 times
I wouldn't live any further than Sherman oaks, the 101 can be a beast for commuting. There's also a very popular gym at ventura/sepulveda that you may consider joining.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:20 PM

1,856 posts, read 2,040,886 times
I'd live in Agoura Hills. You will hate your commute in the afternoon if you live east of Calabasas.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:22 PM

57 posts, read 51,211 times
I would not live in Agoura - it's all families. Very, very, very few young, single people live anywhere near Calabasas. Encino or Sherman Oaks would make sense, but there are a lot more people from out of town living in Santa Monica. And you wouldn't have to take the 101 in the afternoon, you'd take Topanga. In any case, whoever told you to move to Calabasas must not live anywhere near there, know people there, or is really old. I'm 25 and I live in Santa Monica. I have several good friends from Calabasas, Agoura, and Thousand Oaks so I'm very familiar with your situation - don't move to those places. If you do, you'll just end up moving to Santa Monica or Sherman Oaks once your lease is up.

Silverlake and Burbank are just too far in my opinion. For a 26 year old from Chicago, there's no question you should move to Santa Monica. There seem to be a lot of people from Chicago there, it's the first place anyone from out of state moves to in LA for whatever reason, and you're more likely to become friends with people in a similar situation as you.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:15 PM

5,917 posts, read 4,060,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palisades310 View Post
I would not live in Agoura - it's all families. Very, very, very few young, single people live anywhere near Calabasas. Encino or Sherman Oaks would make sense, but there are a lot more people from out of town living in Santa Monica. And you wouldn't have to take the 101 in the afternoon, you'd take Topanga. In any case, whoever told you to move to Calabasas must not live anywhere near there, know people there, or is really old. I'm 25 and I live in Santa Monica. I have several good friends from Calabasas, Agoura, and Thousand Oaks so I'm very familiar with your situation - don't move to those places. If you do, you'll just end up moving to Santa Monica or Sherman Oaks once your lease is up.

Silverlake and Burbank are just too far in my opinion. For a 26 year old from Chicago, there's no question you should move to Santa Monica. There seem to be a lot of people from Chicago there, it's the first place anyone from out of state moves to in LA for whatever reason, and you're more likely to become friends with people in a similar situation as you.
I agree with your sentiment but not your conclusion.

Sherman Oaks or STudio City are the best options, IMHO. Even with the option of Topanga Cyn, a commute to SaMo is usually horrendous (did it for years from the 818) thus you lose a good portion of your after/before work time to achieve what you wanted...time to meet people, do things, and be at the gym.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:42 PM

4 posts, read 4,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I agree with your sentiment but not your conclusion.

Sherman Oaks or STudio City are the best options, IMHO. Even with the option of Topanga Cyn, a commute to SaMo is usually horrendous (did it for years from the 818) thus you lose a good portion of your after/before work time to achieve what you wanted...time to meet people, do things, and be at the gym.
What is the commute like in terms of time from Santa Monica, do you know?
I do think living in Calabasas would be bad, I gotta be around young people and a live area, you know?
When I was there I googled it w/ traffic at about 9am and it said like an hour.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:31 PM

326 posts, read 425,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbounce View Post
Hey all. I got a new job in Calabasas and will be making the move from Chicago shortly. I was wondering what neighborhoods you'd recommend for a single guy? I'll be making 65 - 68k
I'd live in Calabasas. During my single days I lived there and was very happy because I had no commute and I could make it to either Hollywood or the Westside in exactly 30 minutes off traffic. The only pains is weekends...I had to plan accordingly since I don't drive back and forth if I was to hang out in greater LA...ie if I am going in, I am going in for the whole day.

My other pick would be Santa Monica or Malibu, reverse commute on the PCH. You only live once,might as well live near the beach. More driving but worth it since you are in the westside for weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or