Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 06:02 PM

822 posts, read 1,277,452 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n77NxU0CHPw

A really cool video. El A when it was still an oasis almost all over. Shows Broadway in downtown, Wilshire Blvd Miracle Mile, Drugstore across from the now Beverly Center, Crenshaw Shopping Center, Thrifty's on LaBrea in Baldwin Hills. Seems like the heyday of El A. Can anyone spot other familiar streets and places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 06:06 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,269,068 times
LA was paradise in the 50s.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:08 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,763,805 times
That was awesome! I was born in Los Angeles in 1954. I remember my Mom taking me to the Crenshaw shopping center. Many years later I worked just down the street from that Rexall Drug.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:59 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,760,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
LA was paradise in the 50s.
Except for the smog which began to appear in the 1940's and was a real problem which only got worse in the 1950's.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:50 AM

13,573 posts, read 15,514,456 times
I don't care what John Stossel or any of the other anti-nostalgia people say; society was safer and more wholesome back then. Everybody was your neighbor, and people didn't do the sorts of things to each other that they do today.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:06 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,167,360 times
Stop trying to make "El A" happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I don't care what John Stossel or any of the other anti-nostalgia people say; society was safer and more wholesome back then. Everybody was your neighbor, and people didn't do the sorts of things to each other that they do today.
Just as many people were degenerates back then. Society at large just didn't know it. The only reason there's more crime now is narcotics. Back then men would get drunk, slap their wives around, and that was normal. Now people get hooked on drugs, steal from their grandmothers and rob people on the streets to pay for their next fix. Heroin, crack, meth, pain pills, etc are a scourge on society.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:07 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,930,063 times
My favorite memory is riding the Red Car with my Mother on Friday mornings to do our shopping at Grand Central Market. Nickel Cokes at the Woolworth lunchonette. Special occasions involved lunch at Clifton's Cafeteria. A double rocky road ice cream cone was a dime at Thrifty's. I could go on....

Old 10-09-2014, 01:14 AM

822 posts, read 1,277,452 times
Quote:
The elephant in the room is El A was less diverse and much more segregated. The transplants were from other states not third world countries who come here but they hate America. In the old days there was immigration but the people who came loved the country and wanted to be American. Music i.e. rap and hip hop was not present. Songs were about hardship and love but not killing other people. The civil rights movement had not taken place yet and spiraled into its current negative trajectory. People focused on family cohesiveness and values whereas nowadays certain cultures think its acceptable to have 5 or 10 babies out of wedlock with different fathers and collect the welfare check from the government. I could go on and on but that is the elephant in the room.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:11 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,269,068 times
Quote:
It was. People just followed this unwritten code and etiquette. You could leave your doors unlocked and trust a stranger. Now you always have to be careful. And as a result, even the nice strangers (like myself) are guarded and cold to unfamiliars.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:47 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,364,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
The elephant in the room is El A was less diverse and much more segregated. The transplants were from other states not third world countries who come here but they hate America. In the old days there was immigration but the people who came loved the country and wanted to be American. Music i.e. rap and hip hop was not present. Songs were about hardship and love but not killing other people. The civil rights movement had not taken place yet and spiraled into its current negative trajectory. People focused on family cohesiveness and values whereas nowadays certain cultures think its acceptable to have 5 or 10 babies out of wedlock with different fathers and collect the welfare check from the government. I could go on and on but that is the elephant in the room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBR View Post
I bet those neighborhoods that were once bright and prosperous have become decaying "hoods" that rappers used to praise and now where Latinos park their 20 year old Hondas on the once pristine front lawns. Ah progress.
It must break your bigoted hearts that LA won't be bringing back the sundown towns anytime soon. Poor you.

If it makes you feel better (not that I care) crime in the city is currently at levels not seen since... the 50's. On top of being a FAR more interesting, diverse place. Don't like it? There are plenty of homogeneous areas in the US you can move to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles