U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 02:06 PM

8,830 posts, read 8,963,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I would agree.

Even Pico is "west side bad", i.e. average in other parts of the L.A. area.
'Tis true, but it does seem to get better around Trader Joes or east of Barrington. But around SMC after dark? 'No thanks', says me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 09:41 PM

822 posts, read 920,440 times
Anything can happen anywhere. Be street smart. If you walk around like a victim then you become one.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:39 AM

2,921 posts, read 1,780,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _snoopbuggibugg_ View Post
Hi guys

I'll visit L.A. in January 2015 for a study abroad. I'll live in a residence in Santa Monica. The correct address is 2680 32nd St, Santa Monica, CA 90405, USA. It's on the North side to the Santa Monica Municipal Airport.

I know, it's quite a safe neighbourhood compared to the South Central or East Los Angeles. But I heard, that some areas in Santa Monica like Pico also have some gang activity.

Now, my question is, is it safe to live there for a 19 y/o white european man and would I get problems walking home alone at night in this area?

Thanks for your response.
OMG! I know exactly where that cheap hotel is. A homeless (white) friend of mine used to "live" there. Like most cheap hotels you might be living across the hall from a few homeless dudes. I was surprised that there was a hotel on that street that runs right into a fairly nice residential neighborhood. It's absolutely safer than East LA -- that's an understatement! Santa Monica is considered part of the rich "West side" of LA. The really nice part of Santa Monica is farther up around Montana Avenue however. But on a limited budget I think you're doing fine if you stay there.

Pico? Santa Monica City College is on Pico. A great pub called the Daily Pint is on Pico. Pico runs to the beach where there are ritzy restaurants. Pico might get a little rougher as you move towards the 405 freeway but I think you're fine.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:37 AM

822 posts, read 920,440 times
Seems like a Skid Row deal on the Westside. The problem with Santa Monica is there are a lot of homeless people there. The ethic mix is skewed toward white homeless. And they seem mentally disturbed based on a confrontation I had with people trying to intercept my parking meter money. I think you need to be vigilant and keep your guard up.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:53 AM

Yeah it's really sad that Santa Monica has so many "West Side Liberals" who want to save the world by importing homeless people. I heard that someone was actually placing ads in the midwest encouraging homeless people to move to Santa Monica. I've also heard that someone has been busing them in.

Venice Beach is absolutely infested with homeless people. Residents often complain about the next level of poor people who live in RV's and dump their sewage into the street.

I laughed when the people of Santa Monica fell for a sales tax increase that was advertised as money "for the children" or "for the schools". In reality it was mainly for the TEACHERS and their bankrupt pension bucket. The teachers even convinced their students to stand out in the streets with signs that read "save our schools". Such lies and deception at the lowest level.

So Santa Monica is not what it used to be.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:13 AM

11 posts, read 18,753 times
Thanks for all your answers. It is like i thought about it. It should be safe, but I have to take care of my surroundings.

Well, I didn't know about the amount of homeless people. But are they aggressive if I don't give them some money? Especially at night?

I hope, I don't Need to give them some cents everytime I pass them just to get sure not getting stabbed my ass off. haha

Old 10-17-2014, 06:41 AM

123 posts, read 200,826 times
Quote:
Hi guys

I'll visit L.A. in January 2015 for a study abroad. I'll live in a residence in Santa Monica. The correct address is 2680 32nd St, Santa Monica, CA 90405, USA. It's on the North side to the Santa Monica Municipal Airport.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...alifornia.html

Old 10-17-2014, 01:40 PM

536 posts, read 525,465 times
I lived two blocks from this hotel for the last three years and you'll be absolutely fine. I walked in the area at night, including with my 8 and 12 year old sons, and never had any issues. The Santa Monica College Police Department cruises around the area regularly, and Ocean Park Blvd is a main thoroughfare with restaurants and other businesses close by, so there's always plenty of people around. Noise from the airport will be your biggest concern, but it's not that bad if you aren't there long-term.

I agree with the suggestion to get a bike; if you are going to SMC, it is a solid 30 minute walk from there. Just be sure to observe the road rules as every week I see cyclists being ticketed along Pearl St for blowing through stops signs (a move I'm very happy to see, as there are lots of kids using this street to get to the elementary and middle schools and it puts everyone at needless risk, whether pedestrian, motorist, or cyclist).

Old 10-17-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all your answers. It is like i thought about it. It should be safe, but I have to take care of my surroundings.

Well, I didn't know about the amount of homeless people. But are they aggressive if I don't give them some money? Especially at night?

I hope, I don't Need to give them some cents everytime I pass them just to get sure not getting stabbed my ass off. haha
No. Homeless aren't going to attack you. They're just annoying. Always asking for change, sleeping on the sidewalk around 3rd street promenade and the pier, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or