Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 01:54 AM

11 posts, read 27,683 times

Advertisements

Hi guys

I'll visit L.A. in January 2015 for a study abroad. I'll live in a residence in Santa Monica. The correct address is 2680 32nd St, Santa Monica, CA 90405, USA. It's on the North side to the Santa Monica Municipal Airport.

I know, it's quite a safe neighbourhood compared to the South Central or East Los Angeles. But I heard, that some areas in Santa Monica like Pico also have some gang activity.

Now, my question is, is it safe to live there for a 19 y/o white european man and would I get problems walking home alone at night in this area?

Thanks for your response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 12:42 PM

13 posts, read 15,228 times
Santa Monica is a great place to live, and that neighborhood is great. I used to work on 30th by the museum and h ave friends that live there now.

A man walking alone at night, shouldn't be problem, just keep your eyes open (as you should do everywhere). I know my wife wouldn't be comfortable going for a night jog by herself though and I don't think I would either. The two of us together, no problem.

SM has a large homeless population but they are usually pretty harmless. The police force is top notch, they will respond when called.

As far as gangs go, I never really saw it. Venice and Palms, which are in the City of LA, essentially border that area and that's probably where the gang activity would come from. I have heard of people getting mugged on the beach at night, I would avoid doing that. Other than that it's pretty safe. Again, just keep your head up and you'll be fine.

A couple suggestions -
Buy a inexpensive used bicycle on CL. You can go everywhere you need to, on a bike and traffic gets pretty bad during the summer. If gets stolen it's not a huge hit financially and, when you go back you can Pay if Forward, sell it or trash it.

SM Parks and Rec has a great beach volleyball class, that used to run year round. 6 or 7 x 3 hour classes on the beach. I did it on Sat mornings it was a great way to start the weekend. Plus it is a sport that encourages very small bikinis.

SMC Photography Program is one of the best in the country. They offer classes through their Community Ed Program or if you're enrolled as a student, try to take one. I loved it, it totally got me into photographer.

I grew up in the Pasadena area but lived in SM for a few years just to live by the beach. I loved it, it was really fun. That said, I'm back in Pasadena now but at a totally different point in my life - married (met my wife in SM), 1st born on the way, etc.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-09-2014, 02:27 PM

367 posts, read 673,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _snoopbuggibugg_ View Post
Hi guys

I'll visit L.A. in January 2015 for a study abroad. I'll live in a residence in Santa Monica. The correct address is 2680 32nd St, Santa Monica, CA 90405, USA. It's on the North side to the Santa Monica Municipal Airport.

I know, it's quite a safe neighbourhood compared to the South Central or East Los Angeles. But I heard, that some areas in Santa Monica like Pico also have some gang activity.

Now, my question is, is it safe to live there for a 19 y/o white european man and would I get problems walking home alone at night in this area?

Thanks for your response.
Certain death.

The Fudge Packing Jheri Curl Gangsta Crips 13 own that part of SM and their prime targets are doe eyed, supple Euro foreign exchange students. Beware!!!!

Old 10-09-2014, 02:38 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
so safe you don't even need to give it a second thought

Old 10-10-2014, 02:36 AM

555 posts, read 804,387 times
It's safe relatively speaking, but it's less safe than what it appears to be. It's certainly no Mayberry (safe small town, USA). Keep your wits about you and you should be fine.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:37 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydlee View Post
It's safe relatively speaking, but it's less safe than what it appears to be. It's certainly no Mayberry (safe small town, USA). Keep your wits about you and you should be fine.
I wouldn't describe Mayberry as "safe small town"....and while not dangerous IMO it's definitely less safe than Santa Monica.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ma...deaaa7c6954bf7

Old 10-10-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
so safe you don't even need to give it a second thought
I would agree.

Even Pico is "west side bad", i.e. average in other parts of the L.A. area.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:28 AM

555 posts, read 804,387 times
Default Mayberry is a state of mind and a little town in North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I wouldn't describe Mayberry as "safe small town"....and while not dangerous IMO it's definitely less safe than Santa Monica.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ma...deaaa7c6954bf7
LOL Methinks you will not find Barney Fife on *that* Mayberry, though I'm sure you know he lives on forever here:
Mayberry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydlee View Post
LOL Methinks you will not find Barney Fife on *that* Mayberry, though I'm sure you know he lives on forever here:
Mayberry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
You might not find Barney Fife around there, but you could very well find Gomer Pyle not far away.

The town never seemed convincingly Southern.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:42 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjt123 View Post
Certain death.

The Fudge Packing Jheri Curl Gangsta Crips 13 own that part of SM and their prime targets are doe eyed, supple Euro foreign exchange students. Beware!!!!
You know, most Americans would warrant a reply like this. But I'll give a European the benefit of a doubt in regards to not knowing how those parts of LA have progressed in the last 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles