U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 10:08 AM

3 posts, read 2,796 times

Advertisements

My family of 6 wants to sell our bussiness here in Ohio and move to LA.
Reason are we need to move for my Children to be more accessible for work in entertainment industry in LA.
My Husband is prepared to sell his family bussiness and I already run an on line bussiness so I will continue that. We are lower middle class here in Ohio.
We are looking to rent till we find an area that fits our needs.
Looking for decent area with great schools.
Also my husband wants to still work in the concrete and construction field but more in an office type settting ( project management).
So what larger companies are in the area?
Appreciate all the help.
Also is there any programs to help with relocation?
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 10:20 AM

4,350 posts, read 4,933,884 times
Great schools = Great Prices = about $4000 month rent for a family of 6 and that is 2 per bedroom.
If you income in Ohio is lower class income, your income in LA will be even lower due to the competition.
I've never heard of a relocation program to help any type of unemployed people come to LA.
Who is planning on doing what in the "entertainment" industry? You know that is like playing the lottery.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:39 AM

"If you only where in LA" is what I get alot when it comes to castings for 2 of my 4 children.
Obviously my husband would secure I job before we made the move.
What are decently priced areas? I guess should have been my question.
Thank you

Old 10-09-2014, 11:20 AM

822 posts, read 920,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hateohio4 View Post
Reason are we need to move for my Children to be more accessible for work in entertainment industry in LA.
My Husband is prepared to sell his family bussiness and I already run an on line bussiness so I will continue that. We are lower middle class here in Ohio.
Also my husband wants to still work in the concrete and construction field but more in an office type settting ( project management).
Appreciate all the help.
Thank you.
There are thousands of people each day trying to get into the entertainment business. They might get some work here and there but to make a sustainable living out of it is rare -- even so for people who were in the past stars. You have to look at this from a risk/return standpoint. The risk is you give up your jobs and come to a city where the cost of living is much higher than that in any city in Ohio. You may not find a job and your kids may never break in. Your kids may have to compromise their morals to break in i.e. sex on the casting couch. Are you prepared to do this after considering the risk/reward? If you never been here before and don't have a Plan B if it doesn't work out then I would say you are fantasizing not evaluating a rational decision based on risk/reward.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:53 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,417,084 times
Quote:
Appreciate all the help.
Thank you.

I don't know if you're serious, but I find it desperate and fool hardy to 'close a business' in Ohio to move to LA to pursue Hollywood dreams for your children.

If you are serious, no, there are no relocation assistance programs. It's a self-funded endeavor to move across the country to LA to pursue a Hollywood career.

Good luck.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:34 PM

5,917 posts, read 4,058,733 times
Quote:
"If you only where in LA" is what I get alot when it comes to castings for 2 of my 4 children.
Obviously my husband would secure I job before we made the move.
Thank you
What is your anticipated rental budget when you move here? What do you pay for housing now?

Old 10-09-2014, 03:32 PM

My husband is at retirement age. So "closing" was going to happen anyway.
We loved LA when we visited last Dec.
I do relize there are risks; and we do have a plan B. To have a happy life- was just hoping it would be in the LA area.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:43 PM

5,917 posts, read 4,058,733 times
Quote:
My husband is at retirement age. So "closing" was going to happen anyway.
We loved LA when we visited last Dec.
I do relize there are risks; and we do have a plan B. To have a happy life- was just hoping it would be in the LA area.
Still providing ZERO useful information here.

See ya.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:30 PM

5,620 posts, read 13,304,201 times
Quote:
Thank you
"Decent" is a relative term in LA. Finding a 2 bedroom apartment with 1 parking space that's fully upgraded in Santa Monica and Venice and Marina del Rey for under $3500 is a bargain. $4000 for those same specs is decent.

Tell us what your budget is and then we'll tell you where you can move.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:47 PM

3,196 posts, read 2,353,016 times
Moving your family to Los Angeles so your children can be stars is THE WORST idea. Becoming a star in entertainment is like winning the lottery. Becoming a star as a child and not fading into obscurity by adulthood and becoming a degenerate is like winning the lottery after being hit by lightning twice in the same afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or