Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 02:11 PM

8 posts, read 10,277 times

Advertisements

Hi. I will relocate to woodland hills from boston with my family for work. I have a 1yr boy and my wife is also looking for job. We plan to live in woodland hills rent or buy a house (in next 3yrs) .

Is woodland hills a family place?
Can my kid play safely outside in the park? Also I see lots of posts saying woodland hills is too hot In the summer and colder in the winter, how hotter or cooler it will be? About half yrs you need your AC on?

What should we expect about this moving? Does woodland hills have lots of activities for little kids?
I am also looking for the recos for good pediatrics for my boy too.

I am also curisous anyone had the same move? How do you like it? Since we are close to leave, kind of hestitate to leave boston especially boston is so beautiful in the fall.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 02:21 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
I take it you have already rented a place?

Old 10-09-2014, 02:32 PM

Not yet! I will have a temp housing around Warner center. I am not sure where it is now.
But in the long term I still need to move out and get a rented or buy one.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:54 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
Woodland hills is a nice neighborhood for families. It does get warm in the summer, usually high 90s and sometimes in the 100s, but its not excessive like phoenix or Vegas. As for housing, it depends on your budget. Expect three bedroom homes to start in the $500k-600k range. West hills is another nearby neighborhood that is considered good for families that also has better than average public schools. If you demand top notch public schools, you'll need to look to calabasas or further west in/near thousand oaks, where homes are even more expensive. I can't speak to rentals, but I'd imagine you'll pay close to $2k per month for a nice 2br unit.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:21 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Woodland Hills is a really nice and safe area. In summers it's usually the hottest part of LA. Not significantly hotter, but highs usually in the 90s in the summer. During heat waves when other parts of the valley are like 100-105, it'll be 105-110 in Woodland Hills. Comparatively though, downtown LA will be about 95-100 and beaches will be 85-90. That's during heat waves. Coming from Boston, the "cold" will be a joke to you. On the coldest nights, it'll get into the upper 20s and lower 30s with highs in the mid 50s. That's the coldest you'll have to worry about.

If your budget allows it though, the stretch from Calabasas/Hidden Hills to Thousand Oaks to the west have better school districts. Much more suburban and secluded than Woodland Hills though.

Best part about the valley and that whole are is that since the lots are bigger and it's much hotter, pools are much more common than in other parts LA! Perfect for kids.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:27 PM

Simi Valley is another future option, very family-oriented and good schools, and less expensive than Calabasas, Agoura Hills or Thousand Oaks, and the 118 freeway is preferable to the 101.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:19 PM

Thanks for all your insights. Kinda make me a bit excited about the move. I guess la is much larger city than boston , more diversified?

Is there children's museum or museum of science around?

Old 10-09-2014, 09:15 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
LA is massive! And because of the geography with all the mountains, different parts have different climates. The deserts are hottest, valleys next, the basin/inland OC next, beaches are the coolest. That's in summer. It's pretty much reverse in winter, but by a much smaller amount. Woodland Hills has the record for the hottest temperature in all of LA County.

Idk much about the museums and such in Woodland Hills, Calabasas, Agoura Hills, Thousand Oaks, and Simi Valley. Most of the big museums (that I know of) are in downtown LA and Mid-Wilshire (Museum Row).

Old 10-09-2014, 09:51 PM

If you can get Kaiser Permanente insurance, there's a large medical center next to WH. Also, have you noticed you can drive through Topanga Canton to the beach?

Old 10-09-2014, 10:02 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,197 times
Most of the museums are "over the hill" in the Los Angeles basin. Downtown LA's expo park has a great natural history museum that has great exhibits for kids. I think there is a kid's museum in Pasadena. Sorry, I don't have kids.

Typical winter weather in Woodland Hills is highs in the high 60's and lows in the mid to high 40's. No humidity so really that summer heat is far more comfortable than the east coast.

Great hiking spots near Woodland Hills. Good for kids if they are old enough to walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles