U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 05:15 PM

2,655 posts, read 2,508,983 times

Advertisements

The politics behind why Los Angeles doesn’t have an NFL team - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 06:02 PM

4,088 posts, read 3,547,584 times
Good article. Turns out LA is more useful to the NFL owners as a vacancy, where they can threaten to relocate if they don't get their way.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:29 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,401 posts, read 50,625,851 times
I just heard today that the Rams and Chargers both have expiring leases on their stadiums, so here we go again with threats to move to L.A.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:04 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,269,423 times
The National Fraud League (NFL) is run by a bunch of hucksters who wrap themselves in the American flag. I could care less if LA ever gets a team again. But I sure as hell don't one public dime spent to help the effort.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:21 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,423,933 times
I guess the NFL is just as popular or more popular than it was when I was younger but I've really soured on the sport. The violence in the game, the medical problems ex-players have and the NFL's despicable tactics in dealing with the brain injury problem has made it hard for me to watch the league. But its also little things that have turned me off the sport. The aesthetics of it have changed a lot. It used to be most of the games were on grass fields. Last I checked most of the fields were turf. The broadcasts have gotten too technical, there are too many commercials, there is too much parity. I find American football an increasingly boring thing.

I much prefer to watch a baseball or soccer game. But, that's just personal preference.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:06 AM

670 posts, read 910,744 times
NFL wants one here, but NFL wants city or govt to pay, like all the other cities and states do, but that is political suicide in LA. The League didn't really understand that/refused to believe it until just a few years ago. Since then, things have moved along far better, and they accept or have faith that a large private entity like AEG can pay for what the League wants. NFL, finally, now knows there will never be direct tax payer money to pay for any NFL move and know they have to work with a private entity if they ever want to move here, and they so do want that money they can make here. So I think we will get a team before too long now that the NFL is working on it knowing there will be no direct taxpayer money involved.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:29 AM

9,832 posts, read 7,324,493 times
The rams are coming--St. Louis has no desire to renovate their current stadium, much less foot the bill for a new one.

It's the least they can do, considering how badly their baseball team owns ours.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:52 AM

4,350 posts, read 4,935,999 times
Chargers owner Dean Spanos not interested in L.A. getting NFL team - CBSSports.com

"So we are trying to protect our business in San Diego. … It would really be harmful to us.”

Old 10-11-2014, 09:47 AM

865 posts, read 594,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
I guess the NFL is just as popular or more popular than it was when I was younger but I've really soured on the sport. The violence in the game, the medical problems ex-players have and the NFL's despicable tactics in dealing with the brain injury problem has made it hard for me to watch the league. But its also little things that have turned me off the sport. The aesthetics of it have changed a lot. It used to be most of the games were on grass fields. Last I checked most of the fields were turf. The broadcasts have gotten too technical, there are too many commercials, there is too much parity. I find American football an increasingly boring thing.

I much prefer to watch a baseball or soccer game. But, that's just personal preference.
Questions marks all over the place on this post. Too much parity? Not too much fun to watch a few teams dominate all the time. Most games not on grass?

Old 10-11-2014, 10:56 AM

3,196 posts, read 2,354,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Chargers owner Dean Spanos not interested in L.A. getting NFL team - CBSSports.com

"So we are trying to protect our business in San Diego. … It would really be harmful to us.”
San Diego is also in danger of losing Comic Con to Los Angeles. Imagine if the Chargers and Comic Con moved to LA. San Diego would be effed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or