U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 04:24 PM

64 posts, read 68,248 times

Advertisements

90210 between Santa Monica and Wilshire has more "normal" european town look. If you are in a good physical condition you can live there with no car. Everything is close and the area is very safe. The demographic is ~50% white Americans, plus a lot of rich Russians, Iranians, Jews. And you can't find more pet-friendly neighborhood in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 02:03 PM

2,622 posts, read 2,111,724 times
To me, only small parts of it near Santa Monica Boulevard look European (complete with European restaurants). But the rest is true enough, I suppose.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:55 AM

24,147 posts, read 13,668,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
The southern part isn't particularly pretty to look at (including probably not many celebrities to see). Not sure it has many advantages over living outside Beverly Hills.
One big thing would be the city services. Police actually come out for stuff .

Example my mom had a friend that called because her Sunflower was stolen..and the police came out for that..
That wouldn't happen in L.A ...they would say "sorry, we have a bunch of murders going on lady"

Another would be the schools...although I went to a BH public school for many years and didn't have the best experience...perhaps experience would have been worse at an LAUSD school.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:10 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,361,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
One big thing would be the city services. Police actually come out for stuff .

Example my mom had a friend that called because her Sunflower was stolen..and the police came out for that..
That wouldn't happen in L.A ...they would say "sorry, we have a bunch of murders going on lady"

Another would be the schools...although I went to a BH public school for many years and didn't have the best experience...perhaps experience would have been worse at an LAUSD school.
Exactly! If possible, always best to live in a city adjacent to LA than LA itself. I've only lived in the city of LA 5 years of my life. The city services suck in LA. The roads and sidewalks are in disrepair. The police don't come for small stuff like theft or noise. Utilities and trash are more consistent in smaller cities, and the local city council is more likely to listen to what you have to say.

Look at Sunset Blvd in Bel Air, all full of potholes, then you enter Beverly Hills and its smooth and perfect. Santa Monica Blvd in Weho is well lighted, great paved sidewalks, smooth road, trees, and when you enter Hollywood it becomes industrial, bumpy, and dark.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:18 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,415,973 times
Beverly Hills is a primary location I'm looking into, but I also have my eyes on Santa Monica and Culver City. I know LA suffers a lot in the lacking of city services (see Detroit), so I wouldn't be able to tolerate that crap at a level 10x that of Detroit.

Calling the cops about a stolen sunflower? Talk about being a silly rich bored housewife goose!

Old 10-28-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Beverly Hills is a primary location I'm looking into, but I also have my eyes on Santa Monica and Culver City. I know LA suffers a lot in the lacking of city services (see Detroit), so I wouldn't be able to tolerate that crap at a level 10x that of Detroit.

Calling the cops about a stolen sunflower? Talk about being a silly rich bored housewife goose!
Interestingly I recently read one of those "lists" and Santa Monica came up as more expensive than Beverly Hills.

Santa Monica I would say has more interested retail, places to eat and there is the beach too of course although I doubt many residents there actually go to the beach much.

I could see being able to live in Santa Monica and not leave too much, but harder to do in Beverly Hills.

Culver City is nice , it's also it's own city like BH and SM and it's pretty safe as well although it borders some less desirable areas for sure.

The Downtown Culver city part is nice but besides that it's more residential, while Santa Monica has a lot more retail.

Haven't been to Detroit , so I don't know if our services are as bad ...I don't think so but it would be sad if they were.

City of LA services are pretty bad and it can lead to a lot of frustration trying to get them to do the simplest of things.

Actually she was/is a working nurse ..the lady from the stolen sunflower story. I'm sure she has quite a bit of money , house probably paid off plus whatever other savings investments but she has always worked and has been divorced for decades.

She's super frugal/cheap and spends little money.

Of course there's a lot of flashy people in BH, but there are also those long term residents that are actually really under the radar and don't spend much too.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:53 PM

Santa Monica is much more active than Beverly Hills. Better weather and the beach. But Beverly Hills is far more centrally located, so while Beverly Hills itself is dull, you're closer to other parts of LA that have more interesting things going on.

Santa Monica is slightly more expensive than Beverly Hills to buy in (overall) and considerably more to rent in.

Culver City is great but cheaper than both and not as desirable, so only need to live there if the budget doesn't allow for the other two.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:37 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,415,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Santa Monica is much more active than Beverly Hills. Better weather and the beach. But Beverly Hills is far more centrally located, so while Beverly Hills itself is dull, you're closer to other parts of LA that have more interesting things going on.

Santa Monica is slightly more expensive than Beverly Hills to buy in (overall) and considerably more to rent in.

Culver City is great but cheaper than both and not as desirable, so only need to live there if the budget doesn't allow for the other two.
Great information and tips. Thank you!

Old 10-30-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post

Yeah that is true. I have heard some mention SM as being kind of "isolated" in a way. I could see with the traffic how some wouldn't want to leave much , especially since a lot of the cool things it seems in L.A are further east ,especially DTLA.

Agree about Culver City. Although it's not really cheap (what is in L.A) these days , it doesn't have the 'allure' of BH or most of Santa Monica..

Although Santa Monica might be more expensive than BH , it's not as flashy as BH. You're likely to see people with a Prius in the driveway of their $4million house versus a high end Mercedes or exotic car like a Ferrari. The wealth is a lot more understated.

A lot is probably because BH has a much larger Persian/Middle Eastern demographic and Mercedes and other luxury vehicles are pretty much standard issue for them in this area.

I'm speaking of experience , I grew up in Beverly Hills so I saw a lot of this.

While those in SM living in the expensive homes have a lot of money they are typically reserved about 'flashing it' or flaunting it.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah that is true. I have heard some mention SM as being kind of "isolated" in a way. I could see with the traffic how some wouldn't want to leave much , especially since a lot of the cool things it seems in L.A are further east ,especially DTLA.

Agree about Culver City. Although it's not really cheap (what is in L.A) these days , it doesn't have the 'allure' of BH or most of Santa Monica..

Although Santa Monica might be more expensive than BH , it's not as flashy as BH. You're likely to see people with a Prius in the driveway of their $4million house versus a high end Mercedes or exotic car like a Ferrari. The wealth is a lot more understated.

A lot is probably because BH has a much larger Persian/Middle Eastern demographic and Mercedes and other luxury vehicles are pretty much standard issue for them in this area.

I'm speaking of experience , I grew up in Beverly Hills so I saw a lot of this.

While those in SM living in the expensive homes have a lot of money they are typically reserved about 'flashing it' or flaunting it.
All very true. SM is down to earth chill rich people, BH is flashy uptight rich people. ANd it ain't just the Persians, something about BH makes all the people there more flashy and showy about their money. Just compare Montana Ave to Rodeo Dr. Except SM, at least in 90402, is arguably richer than BH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or