U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 12:46 PM

822 posts, read 920,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
Except it is advised to NOT make a citizen's arrest ALONE. The best thing to do in this situation is to call in. The foremost responsibility is to maintain your own safety in any situation, accident sites or potential/actual crimes.
Then its a circular loop as far as making a decision. You don't want to intervene and you believe 5-0 won't do anything because its not a 911 situation. Yet you say indecent exposure to minors was taking place. That seems like an emergency to me. So then avoid the situation and you wont be in such a predicament. IMO, if you feel its an emergency and the guy is harming someone as you watch it, then you need to take action yourself. At least asking him to halt as a start, then escalating to tackling him and subduing him with a chokehold before emergency help arrives. At the very least you could have pulled out your phone and videotaped the whole thing for 5-0. Even if the guy runs, you can chase him down. When other people see this happening they will assist you. Its not like the guy is Marshawn Lynch and you cant get some people to gang tackle him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 01:18 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,948,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
It's a total disgrace...

I shudder to think about how many potential crimes could be prevented if those calls could get through.

I've had the same situation calling the ASK LAPD # , it just doesn't leave a good taste in your mouth.

"Non-emergency lines are for crimes in progress or other situations that require police response, but that are non-life threatening (i.e. loud parties, a group of juveniles loitering in front of your home, neighbor disputes, etc.). Non-emergency numbers & Hotlines are listed below."

The is from their website..it specifically states that the non emergency is for CRIMES IN PROGRESS

These crimes in progress calls aren't being handled efficiently and leading to more crime.

To make matters worse...the LAPD has been lying about officers on patrol..using "ghost cars" to fake staffing levels and stating offers are on patrol while they are doing paperwork, etc.

LAPD commanders used ‘ghost cars’ to fake staffing levels
Does not surprise me at all. The LAPD is a joke.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:58 PM

8,829 posts, read 8,959,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
If you feel someone was in danger, and there was no other help, then it was your responsibility to take action by making a citizens arrest.
Would you give it a rest?

Nobody was in danger, which is why I did not call 911. And as far as a citizen's arrest goes, we don't do that here because of the high concentration of armed sociopaths and their accompanying legions of ACLU attorneys. Welcome to Los Angeles.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Would you give it a rest?

Nobody was in danger, which is why I did not call 911. And as far as a citizen's arrest goes, we don't do that here because of the high concentration of armed sociopaths and their accompanying legions of ACLU attorneys. Welcome to Los Angeles.
I'm a native Angeleno.

If I saw a child predator exposing himself as you described, I would take action either by calling the LAPD and making them come or taking action myself if I thought anyone was in immediate danger. Certainly the creep would not just walk away. He would be videotaped and followed until 5-0 arrives on the scene. And if he invaded my space, I would use a firearm on him. Forget the ACLU -- they are insane.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
I'm a native Angeleno.

If I saw a child predator exposing himself as you described, I would take action either by calling the LAPD and making them come or taking action myself if I thought anyone was in immediate danger. Certainly the creep would not just walk away. He would be videotaped and followed until 5-0 arrives on the scene. And if he invaded my space, I would use a firearm on him. Forget the ACLU -- they are insane.
Well perhaps next time I'll call in an airstrike, followed by a platoon of M113's and ground pounders. Think that will do it, or should I summon a few M1's to help with the mop-up as well?

Old 10-15-2014, 07:28 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,948,866 times
Quote:
I'm a native Angeleno.

The LAPD would treat you as the criminal and they'd let him go.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Well perhaps next time I'll call in an airstrike, followed by a platoon of M113's and ground pounders. Think that will do it, or should I summon a few M1's to help with the mop-up as well?
I would just order a B-52 to drop some napalm over the area. That should be enough. No need to clean up. Just leave it.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:07 PM

1,015 posts, read 737,884 times
I've called it twice, once on a early Sun morning just after midnight with a noise complaint about a neighbor who went out of town and who's kid threw a big party with a DJ blasting music, and once on a Tues evening about a creepy homeless person I saw looking in car windows when I was walking my dog (several cars broken into in the neighborhood the previous month). The Sat night/Sun early AM call took about 30 minutes to get through, the Tue evening call about 2 minutes. Both times the police were there in 5-10 minutes. So lesson to criminals, commit crimes late on weekend nights.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:53 AM

Quote:
I would just order a B-52 to drop some napalm over the area. That should be enough. No need to clean up. Just leave it.
Not even Adam Baldwin with a belt fed?

Old 10-16-2014, 01:12 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,328,768 times
Quote:
Yet you say indecent exposure to minors was taking place.
I'm not the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or