U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 01:52 AM

8,829 posts, read 8,959,075 times

Advertisements

This evening I called 1-800-ASK-LAPD to report somebody exposing their genitalia to passers-by on Wilshire Blvd., and eventually gave up trying to contact the LAPD after making several calls for getting tired of waiting on hold -- the longest attempt had me waiting for more than 16 minutes before I simply hang up out of frustration.

Furthermore, when waiting on the line for English speakers, I regularly heard announcements made in Spanish as well as a high pitched atonal beeping sound intended for the hearing impaired. Out of curiosity, I decided to try the line for Spanish speakers, yet heard neither announcements in English nor the beeping sound for the hearing impaired. What the dilly?

I guess I can't say I'm surprised, given how poorly this city is managed, but irrespective, the fact that I never did get in contact with somebody despite holding for more than a reasonable amount of time, and was constantly bombarded with a foreign language and atonal beeping sounds after I'd selected English is outrageous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 03:12 AM

Called this evening...got through after only waiting a minute. So the lesson learned here is to not witness a crime on a Saturday evening, but Mondays are okay.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:57 AM

672 posts, read 1,788,889 times
Yeah. The non-emergency line at LAPD is really aggravating. I hate having to listen to the tones for the hearing impaired over and over and over.

But, you're exactly right that reporting a non-emergency crime only works during boring parts of the week.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:18 AM

822 posts, read 920,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
This evening I called 1-800-ASK-LAPD to report somebody exposing their genitalia to passers-by on Wilshire Blvd., and eventually gave up trying to contact the LAPD after making several calls for getting tired of waiting on hold -- the longest attempt had me waiting for more than 16 minutes before I simply hang up out of frustration.

Furthermore, when waiting on the line for English speakers, I regularly heard announcements made in Spanish as well as a high pitched atonal beeping sound intended for the hearing impaired. Out of curiosity, I decided to try the line for Spanish speakers, yet heard neither announcements in English nor the beeping sound for the hearing impaired. What the dilly?

I guess I can't say I'm surprised, given how poorly this city is managed, but irrespective, the fact that I never did get in contact with somebody despite holding for more than a reasonable amount of time, and was constantly bombarded with a foreign language and atonal beeping sounds after I'd selected English is outrageous.
You could have made a citizen's arrest and waited for 5-0 to arrive by dialing 911.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
You could have made a citizen's arrest and waited for 5-0 to arrive by dialing 911.
The said person is mentally deranged, and I had no idea what sorts of weapons he had in his possession. And this was not an emergency, so dialing 911 would have still been inappropriate. I receive a weekly crime report via email, and our Senior Lead has repeatedly implored that we never call 911 unless it's a life threatening emergency.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:40 AM

I would have just ignored the whole situation. If it doesn't impact you and you don't see anyone getting physically hurt why try to deal with a mentally disturbed person? Unless you carry a Taser, its not worth the hassle.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:56 AM

Quote:
I would have just ignored the whole situation. If it doesn't impact you and you don't see anyone getting physically hurt why try to deal with a mentally disturbed person? Unless you carry a Taser, its not worth the hassle.
Um...because they were committing a crime that potentially hurts minors.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:57 AM

24,147 posts, read 13,668,407 times
It's a total disgrace...

I shudder to think about how many potential crimes could be prevented if those calls could get through.

I've had the same situation calling the ASK LAPD # , it just doesn't leave a good taste in your mouth.

"Non-emergency lines are for crimes in progress or other situations that require police response, but that are non-life threatening (i.e. loud parties, a group of juveniles loitering in front of your home, neighbor disputes, etc.). Non-emergency numbers & Hotlines are listed below."

The is from their website..it specifically states that the non emergency is for CRIMES IN PROGRESS

These crimes in progress calls aren't being handled efficiently and leading to more crime.

To make matters worse...the LAPD has been lying about officers on patrol..using "ghost cars" to fake staffing levels and stating offers are on patrol while they are doing paperwork, etc.

LAPD commanders used ‘ghost cars’ to fake staffing levels

Old 10-15-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Um...because they were committing a crime that potentially hurts minors.
If you feel someone was in danger, and there was no other help, then it was your responsibility to take action by making a citizens arrest.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:43 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,328,768 times
Quote:
If you feel someone was in danger, and there was no other help, then it was your responsibility to take action by making a citizens arrest.
Except it is advised to NOT make a citizen's arrest ALONE. The best thing to do in this situation is to call in. The foremost responsibility is to maintain your own safety in any situation, accident sites or potential/actual crimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or