U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-12-2014, 08:24 PM
 
Location: O4W
3,744 posts, read 3,530,393 times
Reputation: 2045

Advertisements

How is the AA experience in LA? How is it compared to Atlanta or DC because I know LA has a large AA population but i heard its spread out generally speaking. Where do professional blacks go to network, party, etc? What African American events does LA have? An example would be here in Atlanta we have Battle of the Bands, House in the Park, FunkJazzKafe, etc, etc. The reason I'm asking is because I want to visit LA again and experience the real LA. I been to LA twice. I saw the TV LA. I did all the tourist stuff but I didn't really have a great time. I had an ok time because I didn't know where to go. I went to the beach but the water was cold. I did a sightseeing tour of the city. I ate at the Boiling Crab which was the bomb. I love Kday radio station. I listened to the other Hip Hop radio station and they didn't really have many nightclub ads so I ended up going to some place I heard a dj bring up but it was ratchet (ghetto). I went to a LA Urban League party which was ok.Im not trying to move to LA but I'm looking for a city to call my second home. You know a city that I can visit when I need a vacation. The reason I want to know about the black experience is because I'm black and I'm mostly attracted to black women. I really want to like LA. I'm interested in places where professional black women go for fun so that when I visit again I will be in the know. I have also been looking at Meetup.com events for additional things to do. I know here in Atlanta the radio only provide maybe 10% of really what goes on the city. To experience the real Atlanta you need someone who really knows Atlanta. I'm sure LA is the same. I have scratched the surface in LA and now I want to peel back 3 layers. Help a brother out! I like partying, networking events, day parties, etc.Thanks

Last edited by afdinatl; 10-12-2014 at 08:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-12-2014, 08:56 PM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,322 posts, read 2,165,432 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
How is the AA experience in LA? How is it compared to Atlanta or DC because I know LA has a large AA population but i heard its spread out generally speaking. Where do professional blacks go to network, party, etc? What African American events does LA have? An example would be here in Atlanta we have Battle of the Bands, House in the Park, FunkJazzKafe, etc, etc. The reason I'm asking is because I want to visit LA again and experience the real LA. I been to LA twice. I saw the TV LA. I did all the tourist stuff but I didn't really have a great time. I had an ok time because I didn't know where to go. I went to the beach but the water was cold. I did a sightseeing tour of the city. I ate at the Boiling Crab which was the bomb. I love Kday radio station. I listened to the other Hip Hop radio station and they didn't really have many nightclub ads so I ended up going to some place I heard a dj bring up but it was ratchet (ghetto). I went to a LA Urban League party which was ok.Im not trying to move to LA but I'm looking for a city to call my second home. You know a city that I can visit when I need a vacation. The reason I want to know about the black experience is because I'm black and I'm mostly attracted to black women. I really want to like LA. I'm interested in places where professional black women go for fun so that when I visit again I will be in the know. I have also been looking at Meetup.com events for additional things to do. I know here in Atlanta the radio only provide maybe 10% of really what goes on the city. To experience the real Atlanta you need someone who really knows Atlanta. I'm sure LA is the same. I have scratched the surface in LA and now I want to peel back 3 layers. Help a brother out! I like partying, networking events, day parties, etc.Thanks
How old are you?

I don't really feel like describing everything everything that AA's do in this city because the truth is that we go wherever we please. You will see us everywhere as we work and live in different parts of the city and do things that other races do. However, I def would recommend Low End Theory at the Airliner on Wednesdays which is where a lot of up-and-coming LA rappers perform. In terms of like just wanting to meet black women....any where that plays hiphop like the super club, the room, Belasco, Greystone Manor, Karma Lounge, Silo Lounge, The Dime, carbon etc. Although, All of these places are mixed crowds. Maybe it's just me but I'm not a seek out only black people kinda guy. I like establishments that cater to Angelenos cause you most likely will see all sorts of women everywhere. I mean...It's LA, why would you only want to seek out your kind when you can have the world...but that is just me.

Last edited by jamills21; 10-12-2014 at 09:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2014, 09:17 PM
 
Location: O4W
3,744 posts, read 3,530,393 times
Reputation: 2045
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
How old are you?

I'm don't really feel like describing everything that AA's do in this city because the truth is that we go wherever we please. You will see us everywhere as we work and live in different parts of the city and do things that other races do. However, I def would recommend Low End Theory at the Airliner on Wednesdays which is where a lot of up-and-coming LA rappers perform. In terms of like just wanting to meet black women....any where that plays hiphop like the super club, the room, carbon etc. Maybe it's just me but I'm not a seek out only black people kinda guy. I like establishments that cater to Angelenos cause you most likely will see all sorts of women everywhere. I mean...It's LA, why would you only want to seek out your kind when you can have the world...but that is just me.
I'm in my mid 30s. Black women is just what I'm attracted too. I can't help that. I mean I will sleep with any race but at the end of the day I like our women more.

Entertainment wise I'm looking for spots that play Jazz, Old School Hip Hop, etc. Everybody is dressed nice, no drama, etc..

What night is the best nights to go to those spots that you mentioned because I'm looking at places poppin from Thursday-Monday

The reason I asked about any big events is because if it is something that I'm interested in I might choose to come that weekend verses another weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2014, 09:29 PM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,322 posts, read 2,165,432 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
I'm in my mid 30s. Black women is just what I'm attracted too. I can't help that. I mean I will sleep with any race but at the end of the day I like our women more.

Entertainment wise I'm looking for spots that play Jazz, Old School Hip Hop, etc. Everybody is dressed nice, no drama, etc..

What night is the best nights to go to those spots that you mentioned because I'm looking at places poppin from Thursday-Monday.
Ok, By law California establishments must close by 2am. So, unlike in ATL, people go out a little earlier here; like try to get there before 10. It's hard to say because I'm not really into the club scene anymore. I know a lot of rappers & athletes like to go to the superclub or greystone manor--if that means anything to you. There are other places too but I just can't think of them right now. The best advise I can give to you is that ATL is not like LA at all. After living in ATL for 5 years, ATL caters heavily to black people....LA caters to everybody.

Last edited by jamills21; 10-12-2014 at 09:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2014, 09:40 PM
 
Location: O4W
3,744 posts, read 3,530,393 times
Reputation: 2045
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Ok, By law California establishments must close by 2am. So, unlike in ATL, people go out a little earlier here; like try to get there before 10. It's hard to say because I'm not really into the club scene anymore. I know a recommend ppers & athletes like to go to the superclub or greystone manor--if that means anything to you. The best advise I can give to you is that ATL is not like LA at all. After living in ATL for 5 years, ATL caters heavily to black people....LA caters to everybody.
Thanks. I'm not trying to experience Atlanta in LA. I want to experience LA! I'm just trying to narrow down a few places so I can get an idea of what my plans will be like. I dont really care about the rapper crowds but I will check it out. Can you recommend some places in general in LA that's not super strict to get in with a nice mixed crowd because I would like to hit a few spots each night. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2014, 09:47 PM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,322 posts, read 2,165,432 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Thanks. I'm not trying to experience Atlanta in LA. I want to experience LA! I'm just trying to narrow down a few places so I can get an idea of what my plans will be like. I dont really care about the rapper crowds but I will check it out. Can you recommend some places in general in LA that's not super strict to get in with a nice mixed crowd because I would like to hit a few spots each night. Thanks!
umm...Elevate lounge in DTLA on Saturdays, Crocker Club in DTLA, Belasco DTLA on certain nights (Fridays & Saturdays I think) plays hiphop, The Lash in DTLA is weird cause the will play like really trap stuff in one room then play house music in the other on fridays. And if you really like Jazz then Blue Whale bar in Little Tokyo is pretty dope but that isn't a club...I'm not really into Hollywood/West Hollywood clubs or Westside spots so somebody is going to have to help you on that one. Oh, And Silo Vodka Lounge in DTLA plays R&B...you should def go in there and ask to do a Vodka tasting in their freezer.

Last edited by jamills21; 10-12-2014 at 10:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2014, 09:50 PM
 
Location: O4W
3,744 posts, read 3,530,393 times
Reputation: 2045
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
umm...Elevate lounge in DTLA, Crocker Club in DTLA, Belasco DTLA on certain nights (Fridays I think) plays hiphop, The Lash in DTLA is weird cause the will play like really trap stuff in one room then play house music in the other on fridays. And if you really like Jazz then Blue Whale bar in Little Tokyo is pretty dope but that isn't a club...I'm not really into Hollywood/West Hollywood clubs or Westside spots so somebody is going to have to help you on that one.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2014, 10:09 PM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,322 posts, read 2,165,432 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Thanks!
Also, for just pure LA places. I'll just stick to DTLA and K-Town cause that is were I hang out the most, I would check out LA Cita, Angel City Brewery, The Varnish, 7 Grand, and make sure you hit up the Edison.

For food: Check out Wurskutche in the Arts Distict, Toe Bang in K-Town, KozuNori in DTLA for sushi, Guisados in DTLA for that bomb mexican; the Horchata is a must, Baco Mercat, Soowan Galbi. Basically, Yelp is your best friend for any type of food you fancy.

Oh and FYI: I'm younger than you...so the places I mentioned might be hit-or-miss for your taste. I'm sure there are other places with more AA's but I just don't really care where I hang out.

Last edited by jamills21; 10-12-2014 at 10:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2014, 12:22 PM
 
Location: West Hollywood, CA
1,238 posts, read 1,328,768 times
Reputation: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
How old are you?

I don't really feel like describing everything everything that AA's do in this city because the truth is that we go wherever we please. You will see us everywhere as we work and live in different parts of the city and do things that other races do. I mean...It's LA, why would you only want to seek out your kind when you can have the world...but that is just me.
Well you said everything I came here to say, so I'm out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2014, 04:17 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
5,256 posts, read 12,560,790 times
Reputation: 5094
As an African American from DC I will tell you first hand, I love living in LA. It's been 4 years now. Black LA is quite interesting, fun and I love it but compared to Atlanta and DC LA is more of a melting pot of so many different people I find my friends to be a wide variety of folks. Not just black like I have in DC. But LA has so much blackness. A ton of black southern cuisine restaurants are all over LA. This weekend is the Taste Of Soul Festival on Crenshaw Blvd which is the largest 1 day festival in the LA area with over 500,000 in attendance. There will be lots of good food and music. Every summer I attend the Central Avenue Jazz Festival which is held on historic Central Avenue, which was the black Harlem of the 20s thru the 50s. Every black jazz artist played in the clubs along Central Ave. Sarah Vaughan, Billie Holiday, Count Basie, Ray Charles, Quincy Jones and so many more. I also like the Catalina Jazz Club on Sunset. I've seen, George Duke and countless others there. I also head to the Playboy Jazz Festival every year at the Hollywood Bowl. My brother is a very established guitarist here so I've been to many parties with him filled with black authors, musicians, writer and singers. I also like hanging out in Leimert Park on Sundays. It's the gathering of the bongos, people selling food, jewelry, books and many other things. Check out the California African American Museum, free jazz at LACMA(Los Angeles County Museum Of Art). Like I said I love living in LA. Plus the beautiful weather makes it extra nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top