U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 12:31 AM

10,097 posts, read 7,056,994 times

Advertisements

But why do people need to move to LA? You do what you do best and post it online. If you make a contact, then and only then do you move.

Moving out to LA with nothing but a dollar and a dream is ridiculously stupid. I'm sorry but you can chalk it up to just being "negative" or what not but there has to come a time when someone's gotta say it.

OP, you live in Houston. Do something in Houston. It's not a small town! Do it and take it Austin. Get attention there and then maybe make your move when you see an opportunity open up in LA.

How is it this hard for some people to accept in the age of the internet? People get discovered on Reddit and youtube for crying out loud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 04:32 AM

22 posts, read 23,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsnow View Post
I was hanging out on The Strip & ALL the West Hollywood rock clubs before you were even thought of I was THERE when it was THE scene & that scene is DEAD & has been for MANY years but, Im glad you think you know it all from reading about it on the internet. Unfrickenbelievable. Haha LOS ANGELES IS NOT THE BREEDING GROUND FOR ROCKSTARS ANYMORE!!!!! Youll definitely find that out on your own.

This city is littered w/ unending hordes of musicians (vastly untalented) willing to gig for FREE, free beer or give their music away (film/TV placements, for example) just for a mere glimmer of exposure & in the end, 1 artist out 100000000s may just land a break. A winning Powerball ticket would be more feasible. If you consider the same bunch of hobos strumming their guitars & pretending to be the next Joni Mitchell / Cat Stevens at every bar from Silver Lake to The Troubadour a "scene", well then....

Wow so if you were hanging out on the strip & all the west hollywood rock clubs before I was thought of... You're pretty old and from the looks of it... Buddy you failed in life!!! On a forum discouraging others from chasing their dreams.

Not saying that you don't know about LA if you live there or have lived their... your information could be accurate. However, in my community of music... All the major record labels are in LA.. therefore, the music scene will never die unless those record labels move.

"LOS ANGELES IS NOT THE BREEDING GROUND FOR ROCKSTARS ANYMORE!!!!" Who said anything about becoming a ROCKSTAR??? You're obviously stuck on Jimi Hendrix.

The OP said she want to pursue a singing career... and I'm not saying that she will automatically become a singer and get a record deal when she go to LA! However, her chances will be increased...

You are a debbie downer.... Let us young people explore the world and chase our dreams. I'm sure you are one that never chased yours and gave up!

Therefore, you come to forums like these to talk others out of theirs!

Old 10-23-2014, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
But why do people need to move to LA? You do what you do best and post it online. If you make a contact, then and only then do you move.

Moving out to LA with nothing but a dollar and a dream is ridiculously stupid. I'm sorry but you can chalk it up to just being "negative" or what not but there has to come a time when someone's gotta say it.

OP, you live in Houston. Do something in Houston. It's not a small town! Do it and take it Austin. Get attention there and then maybe make your move when you see an opportunity open up in LA.

How is it this hard for some people to accept in the age of the internet? People get discovered on Reddit and youtube for crying out loud.

With an attitude like this... you will never fulfill your dream and you will always settle.

All you need is a dollar, a dream and hope to make it. Life is all about taking chances. Moving to LA will be beneficial simply because the place is inspiring... it's so much opportunity there!! And it's best to get close as possible to the sources.

Yeah, Youtube and Social media is the hottest thing now to discovery.... However, she can make youtube videos in LA! I don't think there's no reason why she shouldn't go to LA! Take a chance.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:24 AM

Hane Dough you're being unreasonable. No one said that that the OP shouldn't pursue his or her dream. People are giving the op advice as to better ways to break in than trudging it out in LA. Why are you tossing out this utterly rehashed label of being a "debbie downer" or being negative.

Life is about taking risks not these pie in the sky once in a lifetime chances, those risks don't gave to be life ending though. You need to stop thinking that giving the OP other options is somehow the same as telling the op that can't make it. The point is that she wants to make it in the industry as a singer, well does it gave to be in LA? How can they make a youtube video and such while working full time to pay for the high COL?

So please stop throwing out baseless accusations and insulting me as someone who settles. I'm pursuing my dreams in LA but I'm not delusional to have moved out here with no job and a dream. I'm biding my time and have no deadline. It also helps that its a non industry dream too.

There is a rational way to pursue you goals without having to resort to pie in the sky luck chances. Thinking the latter is the only way to make it is utterly naive and childish.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Hane Dough you're being unreasonable. No one said that that the OP shouldn't pursue his or her dream. People are giving the op advice as to better ways to break in than trudging it out in LA. Why are you tossing out this utterly rehashed label of being a "debbie downer" or being negative.

Life is about taking risks not these pie in the sky once in a lifetime chances, those risks don't gave to be life ending though. You need to stop thinking that giving the OP other options is somehow the same as telling the op that can't make it. The point is that she wants to make it in the industry as a singer, well does it gave to be in LA? How can they make a youtube video and such while working full time to pay for the high COL?

So please stop throwing out baseless accusations and insulting me as someone who settles. I'm pursuing my dreams in LA but I'm not delusional to have moved out here with no job and a dream. I'm biding my time and have no deadline. It also helps that its a non industry dream too.

There is a rational way to pursue you goals without having to resort to pie in the sky luck chances. Thinking the latter is the only way to make it is utterly naive and childish.

You the said in your last post.... "Moving to LA with a dollar and a dream is ridiculously stupid".... first of all that was a rude way to put it... which is why I called you negative and a debbie downer.

You told the OP... that since she lives in Houston to do something is HOUSTON. <---- That's settling if the OP truly wants to go to LA! Obviously she doesn't want to pursue anything in HOUSTON! She has a her own personal vision!

Last year I lived in NYC for four months. All I had was a dollar and a dream... I went to college though (BMCC)--- found a job once I got there. Was it my dream job???? **** NO! However, I sucked it up because it was something I wanted so bad. The COL in NYC is more steep than LA COL. And, I still made it. I lived in a rough neighborhood... studio wasn't luxurious. However, I was there --- and I was determined. I wanted to be in NYC for acting at the time--- in which I studied Media Arts & Technology in BMCC. The only reason I left NYC is because my Dad was on his last days of battling cancer and despite everything I've been through with my fam... this was a time I needed to be there. Other than that.. .who knows where I would be If I would of stayed. It's all about determination that's all I'm saying. My whole life I've been told that I couldn't do anything and pretty much held back from everything... I was the one at the bottom of the barrel out of six siblings. And, all my life I knew I wanted so much more... and I always felt the need to prove everyone wrong. That's why I am so serious about other people following their dreams... and I always wanted to be that voice for people. That's all. I get what you're saying in terms of not being "DUMB" by just hopping on the plane and not have nothing but a $100 bucks and no direction on where to start looking to find employment. I'm just saying... It's possible to get there with a little planning... even if OP doesn't find a job before moving.. because it is so hard to find a job when you're not in state at the time. Most jobs will not look at out of state candidates... well not many entry levels one anyway. In fear of having to pay for the applicant's relocation fee and all that... therefore, they'll go with a local candidate first. So, If she wants it bad enough... she would save up a bit of cash... and get some ideas on where to apply before she goes and job hunt once she get there. I did it in NYC.

There's no such thing as unrealistic. Just gotta set that plan up and do what you have to do.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:25 PM

Hane Dough, if the goal is to pursue singing then you can do that anywhere. Doing it in LA or NYC without any real leads is just pointless. This is the age of the internet. You can try your hand out and have just as much luck getting somewhere as you could in LA.

Now what is the goal? Getting into singing or just singing in LA? The former can happen, the latter just seems like vanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or